Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the absolute greatest between Ray Robinson and Roy Jones on there best night?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
    Robinson lost by a wide margin to an unranked boxer named Tiger Jones at the age of 32 just slightly past prime. It's a defeat he never reversed.
    Tiger Jones was an excellent fighter, btw. Dont let the losses fool you. It was also Robinsons second fight after a near 3 year lay off.

Worth watching some of his fights if you can

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx.. View Post
      yes we do......him at 29
      Nothing I saw in that film makes me change my mind. It just convinced me more that the prime Jones was better and would have KOed Robinson;s opponent very quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Summilux View Post
        No one in history would beat prime RJJ between 160-168, no one!
        Calzaghe would have found a way

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
          Ray Robinsons resume leaves RJJ's in a quivering mess on the floor. No comparison.

In a H2H, Jones was too big and skilled to go with it for SRR to get to him. Jones was a LHW in his prime in the day before weigh in era. Robinson barely got above 160lbs on fight day for the whole of his career.

Im not someone who just thinks about weight, but you have to factor it in. Jones is probably naturally 3-4 modern weight classes bigger, and also one of the most gifted fighters of all time. Sure he outboxed Maxim, but Maxim imo was concious of the heat and knew that Ray couldnt last fighting like he was fighting. Robinson hit Maxim with some absolute haymakers, punches that had starched guys from WW to MW, and he didnt even blink.

Robinson was maybe the goat, but that doesn't make him superman.
          My man Tom dropping knowledge.

You highlighted what a lot of people cannot comprehend nowadays and that's the difference between greatest and best

Greatest is all resume. Best is who matches up best H2H I. E. I interpret it as at their absolute peak, who's the most invincible fighter in history?

That for me is Jones.

Robinson is greater. Jones is better

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
            Tiger Jones was an excellent fighter, btw. Dont let the losses fool you. It was also Robinsons second fight after a near 3 year lay off.

Worth watching some of his fights if you can
            Yes, I know all that. I have Robinson's complete record and details about him in some old boxing magazines. Still he never fought Jones again. I know Robinson was an excellent fighter. So was Roy Jones. Two of history's best. That is what the question is all about. My choice is Jones was best but I know I am in the minority or maybe the only poster to pick Jones. I just call it as I see it and that's my honest opinion. I have watched and enjoyed videos of Robinson before and seen almost all of Jones's fights.

Comment

Originally posted by E-Thug View Post
              My man Tom dropping knowledge.

You highlighted what a lot of people cannot comprehend nowadays and that's the difference between greatest and best

Greatest is all resume. Best is who matches up best H2H I. E. I interpret it as at their absolute peak, who's the most invincible fighter in history?

That for me is Jones.

Robinson is greater. Jones is better
              Thats not what I was saying though.

I think Robinson was better, definitely the more proven, but he was a natural 147/154lber whereas Jones was a natural 168/175lber.

Comment

Originally posted by Drama Show View Post
                Calzaghe would have found a way
                Guns are not allowed inside the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
                  Nothing I saw in that film makes me change my mind. It just convinced me more that the prime Jones was better and would have KOed Robinson;s opponent very quickly.
                  I believe Roy was better as well, I honestly am not to impressed with Robinson to be honest

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx.. View Post
                    yes we do......him at 29
                    Been seen this, it is the closest thing to his prime but not really prime!

I'm talking about when he was 25-27 years old just destroying and schooling everyone!

But i appreciate the post, it's beautiful to watch this guy fight and he had better fundamentals and footwork than a lot of today's fighters!

8 HOF on his resume, still a record that won't be matched!

Comment

People need to understand. Ray Robinson could give it as well as he could take it. He was ridiculous. He wasn't just one of if not the most lethal offensive fighters of all time he was perhaps the most durable fighter of all time as well. He could walk through hell. He was a demon.

This is bad matchup for any version of Roy Jones at the same size.

Comment

Working...
                      X