Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think Floyd would have been able to take rounds off Hearns?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you think Floyd would have been able to take rounds off Hearns?

Most people have debated the result, but now that we have seen Floyd's career all the way through, I think its fair to say this would have been his Everest in terms of style.

As great as Floyd is/was, and lets face it, he is one of the most talented fighters to ever lace them up, I think this is such a physical and stylistic mismatch, that I am not sure how he wins rounds?

If you disagree, please elaborate.

Practically every modern-day welterweight including Floyd would have lost to either four kings. They all have wins and losses in each other, and Hearns was the biggest puncher of them all. The lesser welterweights would not stand a chance with any of these four.

Comment

The welterweight Hearns would win most or all of the rounds from Mayweather and knock him out in my opinion. Hearns won most of the rounds from Leonard when they fought at welterweight and Leonard was well behind on points when he won by KO. Hearns was a hell of a boxer in addition to being a great puncher. He had already out grown welterweight when he fought Leonard so he was somewhat weight drained for their first fight. He moved up to 154 after the lost to Leonard. He had lightning fast hands and a great jab left nobody could avoid. The welterweight Hearns lost very few rounds to anybody. No disrespect to Mayweather who is a great fighter no doubt. Hearns was a huge welterweight and damn near impossible to beat in his prime at that weight. Leonard pulled off a win over Hearns in probably his best career fight. I don't think Mayweather could do it.

Comment

Floyd is a master counter puncher and he wouldn't have had to wait for Tommy to step to him. But it's a bad style match. Hearns had the reach, slickness, speed, and power to make a mess of Floyd's face.

Comment

the real question is can hearn even win a round?

Comment

Not possible to outpoint a prime Tommy Hearns.

Comment

Hearns wins every round and knocks Floyd out in 8

Comment

He certainly would have taken rounds. He was too good defensively not to. Now if he could have taken enough to win is a different question

Comment

Just a really bad match up for Mayweather
                  Doesn't make him any less of a fighter
                  Hearns wins UD but Mayweather would snag a couple of rounds but clear hearns win if I had to choose

Comment

Originally posted by allanperlee View Post
                    Practically every modern-day welterweight including Floyd would have lost to either four kings. They all have wins and losses in each other, and Hearns was the biggest puncher of them all. The lesser welterweights would not stand a chance with any of these four.
                    But guys that beat them and or gave them very hard fights are not as good as Floyd and some of the other top WWs.

The trouble is in these fantasy fights is that you envision the best you can possibly can imagine in the 4 kings, when in real life they got beat by lessor fighters than the guys your saying cant beat them, so its not only who is the opponent but also who is in the zone on the night, look on their fights where they struggled, and then put the top WWs in there with them and its very interesting, in fantasy the hero always wins, in real life its a different story.

When you start to talk for real elite fighters you can never write any of them off against any man their size, including Hearns Duran Leonard Hagler as they all got beat, there is not more than a split second between the very best fighters, 1/2 a step wrong and you can be caught.

Im not saying Floyd or todays top guys beat them, Im saying it would be very possible and would be competitive matches in the real world, in the fantasy world never.

The biggest issue for Floyd is size he is not a big WW where Tommy and Ray were, so it would be a case of what versions turned up if it was their very best I cant see the the smaller guy winning, but if they were a bit off and then you have a Ray vs Comacho kinda deal.

Floyd is a very hard guy to actually beat over 12 rounds he has great ring IQ to score rounds and control the match, I think he beats Duran at 135-147 but Ray and Tommy just too big to be also carrying great skills and power, size really does matter at some point as the skill goes up.
                    Last edited by Reloaded; 11-16-2017, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X