No announcement yet.

Why are 90% of films so bad?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by classicbuzzbox View Post
    I'm glad people are talking about this. I'm sure most movies these days are formed by a think-tank who's sole purpose is to ensure the film appeals as much as possible to the target demographic. In fact I think they want as many targets as possible to try and maximise movie sales. The results are always a mess of PC bull****, utopian values with characters no one can relate to.

I watched boss baby with the kids a few weeks ago and I couldn't believe how much they crammed into the film. It was just packed to bursting point with lame jokes every second, trying to be as hip as possible with the most preachy version of parenting I've ever seen. They were the most over the top, left wing hyper goody goody unrealistic version of parents I've ever witnessed. If even 1% of the movie's creators were as good parents I'd be impressed, but hence lies the problem. Hollywood is a cesspit of left wing preaching ideology and add insulated, brain dead actors with their wrapped in cotton wool agendas just shows me how ****ing removed from reality these c##ts are.

I don't know if this is a good analogy, but I've enjoyed GOT a lot because: male characters are tough in a realistic way, most of the female characters are dangerous because of realistic reasons, I.e. they control dangerous men\dangerous armies. Brienne of tarth is a notable departure of the shows' writers as opposed to the books and Sandor (one of my favourites) being defeated by her is typical PC vomit. Characters die, there are great plot twists that don't always spoon feed the audience and overall the casting is amazing.

Casting is definitely one of the worst facets of modern film. How much of a **** up was Hayden Whatsit in the Star Wars prequels. He single handedly ended Star Wars for me. You can't tell me he was the best person around in all of acting to play the most important character in that mythos. My wife enjoyed the 50 shades books. If there's a worse pair of actors available for playing the lead roles in the film adaption I'd be surprised.

I think we are in the twilight of the ****ty blockbuster era. Independent films that don't give a **** about sales and demographics will probably start to take over. I mean, just how **** has Michael Bay been. He is pretty much the problem summed up by just mentioning his name.
    The problem with all the left wing crap is idiots believe it and become the left wing fools we have today. It just goes to prove how shallow they are.

Comment

1. Hollywood is very incestuous. They're obsessed with the "diversity" of the actors but the directors/producers/writers/etc hire among their own within a very specific community and word spreads quickly if you aren't a member of that community or if you hold "troublesome" perspectives.

2. Broad appeal is prioritized over depth because of a global market where everything has to be very obvious, dumbed-down and over-explained to make sense.

3. Extreme "political correctness" which is basically a toxic mixture of 1 & 2.

A very narrow community with a small set of stale ideas recycling them over and over to the entire globe.
      Last edited by ////; 08-31-2017, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Good thread. I feel like I'm being overly preached to in almost every movie I watch these days. If you're a guy these days, movies may not be the best thing for you. Atomic Blonde was a good example. A lady (cool and all, but...) kicking like 6 guys' asses in the stairway scene and every other guy she meets. I get it, women have come a long way with equal rights and everything, and I'm happy for it, but godamn, enough is enough. And then they throw in the lesbian scene with her and the other girl, just to ensure guys don't storm out of the cinema halfway through the movie! F Hollywood and their agenda.

Comment

Originally posted by classicbuzzbox View Post
          I'm glad people are talking about this. I'm sure most movies these days are formed by a think-tank who's sole purpose is to ensure the film appeals as much as possible to the target demographic. In fact I think they want as many targets as possible to try and maximise movie sales. The results are always a mess of PC bull****, utopian values with characters no one can relate to.

I watched boss baby with the kids a few weeks ago and I couldn't believe how much they crammed into the film. It was just packed to bursting point with lame jokes every second, trying to be as hip as possible with the most preachy version of parenting I've ever seen. They were the most over the top, left wing hyper goody goody unrealistic version of parents I've ever witnessed. If even 1% of the movie's creators were as good parents I'd be impressed, but hence lies the problem. Hollywood is a cesspit of left wing preaching ideology and add insulated, brain dead actors with their wrapped in cotton wool agendas just shows me how ****ing removed from reality these c##ts are.

I don't know if this is a good analogy, but I've enjoyed GOT a lot because: male characters are tough in a realistic way, most of the female characters are dangerous because of realistic reasons, I.e. they control dangerous men\dangerous armies. Brienne of tarth is a notable departure of the shows' writers as opposed to the books and Sandor (one of my favourites) being defeated by her is typical PC vomit. Characters die, there are great plot twists that don't always spoon feed the audience and overall the casting is amazing.

Casting is definitely one of the worst facets of modern film. How much of a **** up was Hayden Whatsit in the Star Wars prequels. He single handedly ended Star Wars for me. You can't tell me he was the best person around in all of acting to play the most important character in that mythos. My wife enjoyed the 50 shades books. If there's a worse pair of actors available for playing the lead roles in the film adaption I'd be surprised.

I think we are in the twilight of the ****ty blockbuster era. Independent films that don't give a **** about sales and demographics will probably start to take over. I mean, just how **** has Michael Bay been. He is pretty much the problem summed up by just mentioning his name.
          Preach on, brother..

Comment

Originally posted by LaidOut View Post
            Good thread. I feel like I'm being overly preached to in almost every movie I watch these days. If you're a guy these days, movies may not be the best thing for you. Atomic Blonde was a good example. A lady (cool and all, but...) kicking like 6 guys' asses in the stairway scene and every other guy she meets. I get it, women have come a long way with equal rights and everything, and I'm happy for it, but godamn, enough is enough. And then they throw in the lesbian scene with her and the other girl, just to ensure guys don't storm out of the cinema halfway through the movie! F Hollywood and their agenda.
            Reminds me of a scene in Hell on Wheels where this black chick knocks out this Irishmen who has kicked men's asses on the show before with one punch. I mean, come on. I've never seen nor heard of anything like this happening in reality ever. It's just too over the top. At least Tarantino said Kill Bill is supposed to be fantasy and would never happen. Movies and shows these days make no distinction like just look around the corner and you'll see a 120-pound female knocking out a 200-pound male with one shot. Give me a damn break.

Comment

Personal preference.

Comment

Originally posted by P.K Dionysus View Post
                Personal preference.
                Even taking in personal preference. Most movies are crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh knight View Post
                  Even taking in personal preference. Most movies are crap.
                  I maintain it's a subjective thing. Rating anything is based on personal preference and opinion.

What makes a great film? Awesome set-pieces? Action? Story? Pacing? Social Justice issues?

There are certain things that are universally accepted as being important factors in movie quality i.e production values, direction, script. But while you and your wife may have gotten over films like Detroit Blah Blah, some people may view those films as deeply entertaining.

Wonder Woman is supposed to be awesome and well made, yet a ton of folks don't like it, and say its bad.

You feel as though 90% of films are garbage, and there are people on here that agree with you. But at the end of the day, it's all opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
                    PCism has a lot to do with it.

I sweat they have a check list which follows:

1. Must have a gay character.
                    2. Must have an interracial couple.
                    3. The wise figure can be anything but a straight white male- NOT ALLOWED.
                    4. Feminism must play a role. STRONG FEMALE CHARACTERS.
                    5. No jokes that aren't PC(cancels out a lot of funny ones).
                    6. CGI, CGI, CGI.(It's the answer to everything)
                    7. Any strong male character must also be sensitive to what's going on in the world. Otherwise he's a villain.
                    8. Sexuality must be present and it can't be eluded to. It must be shown and the gayer the better. Show as many d1cks as possible- keep **** and ass(esp. female) to a minimum.
                    9. Focus on a societal problem and how best to solve it- many societal problems which truly have no solution.
                    10. From here on out, you can count on Anti-Trump jokes as a regular medium from now until he's out of office and beyond. It will never stop.

With all of these requirements, how do you expect to have a good movie?
                    Bold is bullshit. Come on man. If you think men are sexualised in films more than women and there is more male nudity than female then you are deluded.
                    Last edited by Sane Man; 08-31-2017, 05:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sane Man View Post
                      Bold is bullshit. Come on man. If you think men are sexualised in films more than women and there is more male nudity than female then you are deluded.
                      In this century, absolutely.

In the twentieth century, definitely not.

Times have changed brother.

Comment

Working...
                      X