Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small hands = lower punch impact?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F = ma (Force = mass times acceleration)

a = v1- v0 (velocity - initial velocity)
    ------- ----------------------
    time time

Two boxers (Rocky and Drago). Rocky has smaller hands so his mass (m) is smaller than Drago's.

Lets assume their Force (F) are the exact same. With their difference in mass (m), it would mean that Rocky's acceleration with his punch is faster than Drago's to produce the same power. assuming that both are starting in a neutral position and throwing that punch, then the initial velocity (v0) is zero. So the acceleration is simply:

a = v / t (acceleration = velocity / time)

For Rocky's acceleration to be faster, he would have to increase his final velocity impact or decrease his time to throw that punch (or do both) in comparison to Drago.

----

So what? Basically what you all already know. Smaller hands/arms would need to be thrown faster (either in speed or shorter in time) to generate the same power as bigger hands/arms. If someone with bigger hands can throw the same punch with a faster velocity and/or in a shorter time, then that punch would be more powerful. This is assuming each boxer's reach is the exact same by the way. If it's different then calculating their power takes a bit more computing because you have to take into account the distance the fist has to travel for each boxer.

We aren't also taking into account energy dispersion either. bigger hands would disperse the energy in a larger area (let's say the bigger hand connects onto 3 ribs whereas the smaller hand connects onto 2 ribs).

Personally, I would think smaller hands would be slightly better IMO (probably cause i have small hands too lol). If you connect to a smaller area with the same force, you would produce more damage in that small area. The same force has a much better chance of breaking a rib if you hit two of them as oppose to 3 ribs. You'd need better accuracy though with smaller hands. Then again, the the size is really neglible anyway. Aren't you only suppose to connect with the pointing and middle finger knuckles most of the time when you punch anyway?

Hope I didn't confuse anyone here. I am an engineer. LOL.
    Last edited by ShinCrossOver; 04-07-2011, 02:39 PM.

Comment

lol I can tell you are....but thanks for putting the effort in the explanation!

Comment

de la hoya has small hands but he packed a wallop with that left.

Comment

Originally posted by .WaRCoTTo. View Post
          Not at all, Miguel Cotto for example has little ass hands compared to most of his opponents, turn your body to get the power you're looking for, it's in the technique and torque of the punch to have a greater impact, not the size of your hands.
          yeah both Cotto and clottey have smaller hands and punch good.

Marg and Pac both have beefy hands they punch good too. no diff

Comment

Mayweather's a good example I think . His hand's aren't that big . He looks small compared most WW's .He is a good example of what proper technique can do and condition .I say they've all got there ups and downs .Do fingertip push-up's man I do about 50 of them as part of my strength and it helps alot .Snap speed accuracy and footwork man on punches . Techniques the most important .
            Last edited by alza1988; 04-20-2011, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Cotto's got small hands man holy s--t I fought he looked like a monster .Look at Berto's hands in this compared to Cotto and think of Berto's power .His uppercuts and the shots he dropped Ortiz with .Ortiz's hands are supposed to be huge though I read .I don't think it really matters .Adapt a style and technique that suits you best .
              Last edited by alza1988; 04-20-2011, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by alza1988 View Post
                Cotto's got small hands man holy s--t I fought he looked like a monster .Look at Berto's hands in this compared to Cotto and think of Berto's power .His uppercuts and the shots he dropped Ortiz with .Ortiz's hands are supposed to be huge though I read .I don't think it really matters .Adapt a style and technique that suits you best .

that picture is photoshopped

i will bet e money on that ****

that's not how cotto is built. that's not his skin tone

i'm 99% sure it's actually shane mosley's body from a picture from a mosley-berto presser (before the fight was cancelled)

shane has big hands
                and huge power

to address the post
                of course bigger hands will, as a general rule, come with harder punching

so will bigger everything else, on the regular

that's why we've got weight classes.

true punchers, however, meaning the guys who were born to concuss grown men of their size, have much more going for them than hand size alone.

you dont need big hands to be a huge hitter, but they help
                huge punchers coordinate the body and explode (accelerate) through a target
                we call it snap in boxing.

it's all about where and when they are transferring weight
                and it's largely intuitive for real power punchers, if you're talking about hitting a heavy bag

opponents hit back, and that's the rub

Comment

Well spotted man I just googled Berto Mosley and you've got it right .Here it is mate Green k sent,

Comment

Originally posted by Maxgaggi View Post
                    Itīs kind of an awkward question, but do you goys think that the size of a boxerīs hand affects the impact on the target? Some guys at the gym are lightweights but they got these huge freakin hands that look like rocks lol....my hands for example arenīt that big for a middleweight. Do you think it affects during striking?
                    Edwin Rosario had little girl hands but is one of the ATG punchers.

Comment

JM Marquez has the biggests fists p4p. Some commentators even mentioned it awhile back.

Comment

Working...
                      X