Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weight cutting - explained by Paige VanZant (UFC)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight cutting - explained by Paige VanZant (UFC)

Good video for those who really don't understand the extremes of weight cutting.

The only thing I disagree with is her saying she stops salt intake. Electrolytic solutions like PediaLyte are nothing more than salt water, because sodium with water helps you hydrate easier - when combined with a solid workout and a proper diet balance, you cut easier as long as you're consistent with it.

What the **** that's crazy. Halfway through the video.

Comment

UFC fighters are the worst at cutting weight. How many UFC fights canceled in the last 12 months alone due to weight issues or fighter passing out, it's crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by Beercules View Post
        What the **** that's crazy. Halfway through the video.
        Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
        UFC fighters are the worst at cutting weight. How many UFC fights canceled in the last 12 months alone due to weight issues or fighter passing out, it's crazy.
        This doesn't apply with Paige, but many fighters don't understand that weight cutting is a year-round deal.

Paige just weighed too much for the only lucrative division. It's like Cyborg, too much for the division at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
          What I think is they just try to cut too much weight, they focus too much on having the biggest weight advantage possible. Which makes sense especially for wrestling and grappling but they are doing serious damage to their bodies

Comment

Floyd Mayweather, Bernard Hopkins, Carl Froch these are the only modern day fighters who in my opinion applied common sense to preparation! (These guys always stayed in and around the fighting weight, which is more healthier and promotes longevity!)......

It is a completely backwards philosophy! In my opinion at a biological level it ages fighters. (And for women it is probably even more dangerous, this kind of biological stress could effect her fertility! But yes I like Paige VanZant!)....

Comment

Originally posted by revelated View Post
              Good video for those who really don't understand the extremes of weight cutting.

The only thing I disagree with is her saying she stops salt intake. Electrolytic solutions like PediaLyte are nothing more than salt water, because sodium with water helps you hydrate easier - when combined with a solid workout and a proper diet balance, you cut easier as long as you're consistent with it.
              A agree with you that sodium intake should be consistent but for completely different reasons! I think sodium intake should be consistently low.

I disagree with taking large quan****** of sodium or salt tablets when rehydrating after a cut. I think this is a common mistake.

If we consider the body to have 2 main fluid compartments - intracellular and extracellular - reducing sodium intake reduces the extracellular fluid volume. This is why cutting out salt lowers blood pressure, and why diuretics lower blood pressure.

When we reduce salt intake we also increase hormones like Angiotensin that promote our body to hang on to as much salt as possible - in other words we pee out less salt, and we can actually sweat out less salt as well. Our bodies are very good at conserving sodium - this is because we evolved before salt shakers were invented and had to get all of our sodium from the food we eat. Thus our sodium requirement is actually very low - around half a teaspoon, which you can easily get enough of simply by eating enough calories.

If you take in a high amount of salt straight AFTER a sodium cut, with all those hormones telling you to conserve your salt, the inevitable outcome is that the extracellular fluid increases rapidly - you put on excess water weight and this means the vascular resistance and blood pressure increases. The higher the blood pressure, the harder the heart has to pump in order to deliver oxygen to the tissues.

I have seen the likes of Canelo rehydrate with a salt tablet and I question the logic of this.

Comment

Originally posted by keith_head View Post
                A agree with you that sodium intake should be consistent but for completely different reasons! I think sodium intake should be consistently low.

I disagree with taking large quan****** of sodium or salt tablets when rehydrating after a cut. I think this is a common mistake.

If we consider the body to have 2 main fluid compartments - intracellular and extracellular - reducing sodium intake reduces the extracellular fluid volume. This is why cutting out salt lowers blood pressure, and why diuretics lower blood pressure.

When we reduce salt intake we also increase hormones like Angiotensin that promote our body to hang on to as much salt as possible - in other words we pee out less salt, and we can actually sweat out less salt as well. Our bodies are very good at conserving sodium - this is because we evolved before salt shakers were invented and had to get all of our sodium from the food we eat. Thus our sodium requirement is actually very low - around half a teaspoon, which you can easily get enough of simply by eating enough calories.

If you take in a high amount of salt straight AFTER a sodium cut, with all those hormones telling you to conserve your salt, the inevitable outcome is that the extracellular fluid increases rapidly - you put on excess water weight and this means the vascular resistance and blood pressure increases. The higher the blood pressure, the harder the heart has to pump in order to deliver oxygen to the tissues.

I have seen the likes of Canelo rehydrate with a salt tablet and I question the logic of this.
                The part you're missing is the diet.

If you gorge on fruits, nuts, grains and veggies then yes, you want to balance with sodium and water, especially in high climates. The effect is, as you state, your body works harder during absorption. It's spiking your metabolism and nothing wrong or unhealthy about it, as long as you mix up with a healthy diet based on your mass ratio.

In simple terms, your body wants food. Your job is to fool it by giving it stuff it can burn with minimal gain but maximum energy. This is why niacin is in most supplements despite the body not really needing a lot of it either: you burn.

Comment

still crazy..the amount of weight they take off just for competition

Comment

Itīs well known fact that MMA Fighters are not that disciplined as boxers are.

Comment

Working...
                    X