Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens next for Rigo, Ward, and Kovalev?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would like to see Lomachenko and Rigo next at 126,Rocnation should pay Rigo what e wants,and toprank should pay Lomachenko,and get that **** done instead of Salido in August

Comment

At this point, it makes sense for Ward to fight Stevenson more than actually move up to CW. I think Kovalev will probably look to move up. As with Rigo... I think his KO victory will get overturned to a NC and he'll be out for another year.

Comment

Originally posted by Jsmooth9876 View Post
        Rigomis gonna have to rematch that bum from last again when they give him the DQ loss.
        Ward idk... I don't see the Stevenson fight getting made and why would he waste his time fighting these nobodies coming up the ranks. Maybe he goes after the weakest cruiser then heavy champ and retires. Maybe we get a GGG if he gets past Canelo who knows. That would be the money fight.

Kovalev will be firing then hiring a new trainer. I think he may be the one to fight Stevenson now. Or more than likely the winner of Smith vs Barerra..especially if it's Sullivan cause he's with ME.
        Ward has been looking for a $$$ money fight for a while (remember him calling out Chavez?), but there are very few from LHW to HW. I can see him taking an extended break like Kov, while LHW gets more organized.
        Last edited by kiaba360; 06-18-2017, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Are RN and Haymon still not working with each other? That may be a stumbling block for Ward/Stevenson. Is this fight big enough for HBO/SHO to play nice? All these fxcking political hurdles.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
            Ward would have to travel for Bellew, which is something he's yet to do. IDK how big that match-up would be, but Bellew has earned clout over time. Maybe it's a fight that can be easily sold to UK fans. Ward is simply not a PPV fighter, a lot of these guys aren't. Great on him for continuing to get those big purses though.
            Bellew slipped my mind actually. I guess that is a possibility. Ward has travelled to the UK for punditry gigs in the past and gets a lot of love over here. I think it could potentially do as well as Golovkin vs Brook did. For a brief moment I considered whether he might enter the cruiserweight WBSS tourney but it's way too close now, on a different network and he's probably above that type of thing anyway

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
            I thought Flores would provide a little challenge, but he decided to flop lol. Vargas just won the WBC title, no damn way his first defense is Rigo. Maybe it happens at year's end. There are several younger opponents 122, and maybe that youthful hunger will make one of them take Rigo on. I wish Rigo could have a 12-round battle where he's forced to go Super Saiyan. I only think Loma will bring that out.
            Roc Nation have shown a willingness to throw money around for other fighters so if they are really behind Rigo they could easily secure anyone in that weight range for him. He had a battle with Amagasa so I don't think it's impossible that an underrated fighter like Vargas could bring the best out of him too. Also, there wasn't much to go on and I may have simply been imagining it, but his counters did not look as sharp as usual last night to me. I do think he's probably on borrowed time right now. He's a 36 year old super bantam at the end of the day

Comment

Ward vs Stevenson

Rigondeaux is just cursed

Kovalev vs Beterbiev

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
                Ward vs Stevenson

Rigondeaux is just cursed

Kovalev vs Beterbiev
                Seriously! Beats Yotjan/Dickens/Flores in 4 rounds combined. 18 fights, 108 professional rounds. I always think about him aging, but how the **** can that happen when he's barely fighting?!? He's gonna need everything he has for a guy like Loma, so maybe it's better for him to keep having short fights.

Because of Kovalev's propensity to tire, he may be in trouble against a fellow puncher in Beterbiev. Beterbiev is still untested though, and maybe he has gas tank problems too. It has FOTY potential, especially if they tire out at the same time and are forced to dig deep in a close fight.

In a dream world, we'd get Ward/Adonis and Kov/Beterbiev on the same card.

Comment

If Joe Smith Jr. wins against Barrera then Ward should fight him this fall.
                  Stevenson needs to fight his mandatory, Alverez this fall.
                  If both Ward/Stevenson win they unify spring 2018.

Kovalev should fight the undefeated Marcus Browne. Winnable fight for him yet still not a "stay busy" easy fight.

Loma and Gonzalez already have fights so they're outta the picture for Rigo.
                  In my opinion him and Leo Santa Cruz need to fight. Leo's high punch output will make Rigo throw more making it a more exciting fight.

Comment

Rigo needs to move up to 126! Ward can do whatever he wants he just made 6.5 Million so all of his fights will likely be Money Fights from here on out if no big money fights he could retire! I want to see Unification with Stevenson but that will be difficult to get done! Kovalev I'm not really sure! HBO promoted him as this BIG BAD RUSSIAN WHO EVERYBODY FEARS well that is over with so now how do you Market Him? I also think the Blue Print is Out on Kovalev and I could see him falling into a CAREER FUNK maybe even losing again.

Comment

I'll be amazed if any of them fight again this year first off lol.

I think the odds are long that Rigo has any meaningful fight within 12 months and probably only slightly shorter that he fights at all in that same time frame.

Kovalev probably​ fights a softer touch early next year, but they should be just throwing him in the best fight he can get cuz he'll be 35 by April and his days in boxing are almost done in particular after seeing him last night with how he kept having a quiting/ref help me kinda take on the fight. I think Ward and others had Kovalev pegged correctly as a bully and once you beat a bully you damn near destroy his confidence in himself.

Ward is probably gonna tease retirement or a heavyweight fight more over the next 3 to 6 months before he'll be forced into some mandatory fight that may or may not be of any interest.

Comment

Working...
                      X