No announcement yet.

Pro Free Speech or Anti Free Speech?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -Blackout- View Post
    You can't have freedom of speech without the chance of offending someone. People will always disagree with you at some point on any subject. Nobody got the right ''not to be offended'' but you got the right to disagree with someone and put forward your arguments without the threat of being harmed.
    Doesn't work like that in reality. Some people are offended by certain things, deliberately antagonizing them has consequences.

Comment

Originally posted by MmuhammadM View Post
      So hypothetically I can "offend away" at Jews? Yes or No?
      Yes, though if you continue after you have been asked to stop its considered harassment.

Originally posted by Flawless* View Post
      Doesn't work like that in reality. Some people are offended by certain things, deliberately antagonizing them has consequences.
      deliberately antagonizing some one is freedom of speech deliberately antagonizing some one after they have asked you to stop is harassment.

just as freedom of speech gives one the right to offend it gives the offended the right to ask the offender to stop, beyond that point its no longer freedom of speech.
      Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 06-22-2010, 05:14 AM.

Comment

It's true, some people can't control their emotions and let it get the better of them. We shouldn't let a few rotten apples spoil it for the bunch though. Imagine politics without freedom of speech with a government to tell you how you're supposed to feel and think like good little worker ans. I would hate for it to come to this. You can argue your case respectfully but saying your shouldn't argue a subject at all due to fear of offending someone is ludacris.

Comment

The fullest liberty of expression is required to push arguments to their logical limits, rather than the limits of social embarrassment.

Comment

Originally posted by -Blackout- View Post
            It's true, some people can't control their emotions and let it get the better of them. We shouldn't let a few rotten apples spoil it for the bunch though. Imagine politics without freedom of speech with a government to tell you how you're supposed to feel and think like good little worker ans. I would hate for it to come to this. You can argue your case respectfully but saying your shouldn't argue a subject at all due to fear of offending someone is ludacris.
            I am not really taking about politics. I support constant criticism of governments in any form. But this freedom of speech, takes a whole new level when people incite hated and offend people deliberately.

Example, white supremacist walking through a black neighborhood citing hate. Drawing pictures of Muhammed, when people know it would offend Muslims. People denying holocaust and dis-informing people about actual events.

Again, certain people hold certain things dare to their hearts and some subjects are sensitive, the world is a unique place. There are people who willingly use freedom of speech to create fractions and problems between different communities to get a rise out of them

Comment

I am not really taking about politics. I support constant criticism of governments in any form. But this freedom of speech, takes a whole new level when people incite hated and offend people deliberately.

Example, white supremacist walking through a black neighborhood citing hate. Drawing pictures of Muhammed, when people know it would offend Muslims. People denying holocaust and dis-informing people about actual events.

Again, certain people hold certain things dare to their hearts and some subjects are sensitive, the world is a unique place. There are people who willingly use freedom of speech to create fractions and problems between different communities to get a rise out of them
              it is up to each and every individual to overcome these inner adversities. disagreance and debate should be encouraged in all societies regardless of political or spiritual inclinations. blackout and mr shen have explained the difference between free speech and harassment and theyre should always be laws in place to protect people from harassment but nobody should be able to control what you think or say.

Comment

Not at all, controlling people's speech can prevent anarchy. It was those hateful messages which caused Rwanda,Somalia,Nazi Germany. Look at China, they control freedom of speech yet their civilization is rising now while Western world is declining
                china is rising economically because of its population.

you wouldn't want to live and work like how the average chinese does.

Comment

Part of me agrees but the logical part of my thinking does not. I consider myself a christian, seeing pictures of jesus and other religious saints being made fun of is not something I agree with or support in any form. But I acknowledge the fact that the only reason science, our government and the people can get better is to push the boundries of yesterday and set new boundries for tomorrow. If we didn't allow this to happen Flawless we would all be sitting the the dark ages still thinking the world is flat with a king and pope telling us how to feel about a book written in latin none of us would ever be able to read.

What offend people changes with times because we push these boundries and become more open minded. That's what Martin Luther king did, It's what Martin Luther did even the profets in the Torah, Bible and Quran who offended many people of that time. We can't afford to be selfish on this matter.

Comment

Free speech for all....along with a decent brain.

Comment

Pro free speech, who'd want to pay for it.

Comment

Working...
                      X