No announcement yet.

Showtime Boxing already trying to build Wilder vs Joshua

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Randall Cunning View Post
    I've been wondering about this Matchroom/Matchroom USA thing. Havent seen it spoken about anywhere. Why did they set up "Matchroom USA" and not just have Jacobs sign with the normal "Matchroom"? Could it be that only Jacobs, and any other US fighters he signs to the "Matchroom USA" banner, and the US cards are exclusive to HBO? And that any UK fights are still up for bidding.

So hypothetically if he done Joshua/Wilder in the US it would be Matchroom USA and HBO would have the rights, but if Joshua/Wilder happened in the UK it would be regular Matchroom and be up for bidding, forcing Wilder to take the fight in the US if Showtime want to show it.
    Hearn is just starting out. Matchroom USA is not exclusive to HBO and HBO is not exclusive to Matchroom USA. Their first card is the equivalent of a PBC Fox show. It's not really a big deal at all yet..

Comment

I dont care where they go, i doubt HBO can match whatever SKY/Showtime are giving Joshua. I would be shocked if Joshua fights under HBO banner.

Comment

Originally posted by BWC View Post
        Doubtful. Showtime is where his biggest fight is. Hearn will wait to take AJ to HBO.

Wilder does not have an contract with Showtime.

He last two fights was with FOX.

Comment

AJ headed to hbo after this fight. Wilder probably does the same imo

Comment

Originally posted by Pandur View Post
            This. Joshua is going to HBO once his obligation with Showtime is up.
            His obligation with Showtime is already up, they outbid HBO for the Pulev fight.

Comment

No wonder there's too many inactive fighters in this network.
              Building up something that would most likely take place a year from now.

Comment

At this point, whats really the alternative route? These two SHOULD be fighting next year in the Spring / Summer. Just like with Saunders at 160, nobody cares to see anyone unify with Parker. Wilder can't land a competitive fight without running into PED issues with the opponents, Fury is out of the picture, seemingly so is Ortiz, so where do both really go? I think Showtime clearly sees it as well now.

Comment

Originally posted by RL_GMA View Post
                  At this point, whats really the alternative route? These two SHOULD be fighting next year in the Spring / Summer. Just like with Saunders at 160, nobody cares to see anyone unify with Parker. Wilder can't land a competitive fight without running into PED issues with the opponents, Fury is out of the picture, seemingly so is Ortiz, so where do both really go? I think Showtime clearly sees it as well now.
                  Starting to sound a lot like nothings going to happen to Ortiz, WBC saying they didnt sanction the fight on medical grounds, likely WBA will still enforce Ortiz as Joshuas mandatory. Haye manages to beat Bellew and Parker thatll happen in the summer before a Wilder fight does

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
                    His obligation with Showtime is already up, they outbid HBO for the Pulev fight.

Showtime has the right to match any offer HBO makes for the next fight aswell.

After that he is free to make a deal with HBO.

Comment

Originally posted by Randall Cunning View Post
                      Starting to sound a lot like nothings going to happen to Ortiz, WBC saying they didnt sanction the fight on medical grounds, likely WBA will still enforce Ortiz as Joshuas mandatory. Haye manages to beat Bellew and Parker thatll happen in the summer before a Wilder fight does
                      Thing is Showtime are both invested in Wilder and Joshua and by the looks of the new promo they put out highlighting AJ and Wilder fighting on back to back weekends it seems pretty clear now that's the route they're going to take. Ortiz at this point has a hell of an uphill battle to get back in position for a title fight. If by Jan/Feb both Wilder and AJ agree and negotiate a fight, the WBA and WBC will be all over that and will likely pay Ortiz or whoever the mandatory for either sanctioning body a step aside fee (which for Ortiz at 38 should take). I think this fight happens by next Summer.

Comment

Working...
                      X