No announcement yet.

Dispelling A Myth: Robinson Lacked A Straight Right

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dispelling A Myth: Robinson Lacked A Straight Right

For an orthodox stance, the more you commit to a right hand, the more your body turns with the punch. The punch can still travel the shortest distance to the target, i.e., in a straight line from where it started.

Because Robinson threw a lot of hooks with both hands, one could easily overlook his straight right, also because his body usually turns significantly with his straight rights, he being a committer to his punches if there ever was one in boxing.

The following clip is quite entertaining for those who have not seen it before. The Rock is narrating with Anthony Quinn as his guest. Full rounds are not shown. But at the end is a slow motion running of the TKO sequence.

One clearly sees that Robinson throws virtually every punch in the book at Randy. Several of the deadliest punches in that sequence are straight right hands delivered with everything on them, so that Robinson's whole body turns with the punches. They couldn't really get any straighter, thrown from the positions they were.

This is only one piece of film, but it indeed does show Robinson launching a number of straight rights, and one counter example is enough to dispel the rumor.

It was a good rumor, more or less started by Alex Boy. Robinson's punch variety is such that you really do have to look for straight rights to become cognizant of them in his aresenal. They are there.

The only thing you might not see is the lone, sneak right which withdraws with sudden spring action, then hunts for another opportunity. Robinson almost always punched in bunches with much commitment, meaning there can be no spring action withdrawl, since the body is following through.

However, a further inspection of the film records might show that Robinson indeed threw the spring-action-withdrawl right on some occasions. One could not be surprised if this were so.

I believe the myth of no straight right for Robinson is dispelled.

Do I have a yay?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87gRhyhbaP0
    Last edited by The Old LefHook; 04-28-2017, 12:17 AM.

Good **** bro

Comment

Where did this myth come from ?, haven't heard it before unless it's from people who haven't seen much of Robinson at all, in which case what's the point. One of his signature punches was the "Candy Cane" which was a right hand downlow.

Edit: Should read fully before commenting, if it came from Alex Kid then ya know, not really a rumor more just some ****e he came up with after watching a highlight video probably.

Comment

Great post. I have heard this before, but always third hand or as an anecdote. I wonder if it started as a rivals trash talk or throw away remark, but because of how slowly the media moved compared to now gossip like this becomes fact. i guess fake news isnt a new thing lol

Comment

Yes, imagine: the great Robinson sees an opening, but dang it, the opening would require him to throw a straight right. Shucks! Maybe next time.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
            Where did this myth come from ?, haven't heard it before unless it's from people who haven't seen much of Robinson at all, in which case what's the point. One of his signature punches was the "Candy Cane" which was a right hand downlow.

Edit: Should read fully before commenting, if it came from Alex Kid then ya know, not really a rumor more just some ****e he came up with after watching a highlight video probably.
            The candy cane, that was one of the sweet spots I had for anybody taller than me. It works great against south-paws. I never knew that it had a name... great shot though

Comment

I always called it his wrap around punch. Candycane makes sense. What is the origin of the reference?

Comment

Working...
              X