Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 'PBC Underdog Effect'?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also you see the guys who aren't even fighting getting lazy.

Omar Figgy pulling off fights for bull****
    Sonsona not even bothering to train
    guys coming in overweight

Comment

Huck vs Glowacki

Comment

Originally posted by lane99 View Post
        Huck vs Glowacki
        Completely forgot that one. Great example

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
          Is it just me or does there seem to be way more 'underdog' performances in the PBC than everywhere else.

We got two more last night with Martinez beating Alexander and well past prime underweight Montiel giving FW belt holder Lee Selby a great fight.

More off the top of my head,

Fonfara beating Chavez Jr
          Alejandro Gonzalez Jr giving Frampton hell.
          Chris Arreola getting a lucky draw vs Fred Kassi
          Willy Nelson KOing Harrison
          Ricky Burns (seemingly shot and in a division above his best) giving Figueroa a very tough night

Most of these were set up as showcase fights for the star to look good but ended up either being losses or very rough nights. Some can be put down to underestimating opponents (Fonfara is obviously not just an 'opponent') but the others were pretty clear underdogs.

Am I looking too much into this?
          Not at all. These underdogs still got a lot of fight in them. PBC brings them in, gives them a shot if they are game. They are.

Comment

It's not really clever matchmaking it's more to do with luck. The big favorites are not showing up and are underperforming.

Alexander vs. Martinez should not have been a competitive fight but it was mainly due to how poorly Alexander looked.

Comment

Is it just me or does there seem to be way more 'underdog' performances in the PBC than everywhere else.

We got two more last night with Martinez beating Alexander and well past prime underweight Montiel giving FW belt holder Lee Selby a great fight.

More off the top of my head,

Fonfara beating Chavez Jr
              Alejandro Gonzalez Jr giving Frampton hell.
              Chris Arreola getting a lucky draw vs Fred Kassi
              Willy Nelson KOing Harrison
              Ricky Burns (seemingly shot and in a division above his best) giving Figueroa a very tough night

Most of these were set up as showcase fights for the star to look good but ended up either being losses or very rough nights. Some can be put down to underestimating opponents (Fonfara is obviously not just an 'opponent') but the others were pretty clear underdogs.

Am I looking too much into this?
              Haymon is matching his guys in TV/feature fights far tougher than anyone here wants to acknowledge. The perception that Haymon was simply setting up squash matches has been overstated.

Comment

Its why i watch the fight and try not to judge them on paper.

Never know what fight you are going to get.

i have been very happy.

Comment

So its us overrating the fighters then? Because im pretty sure those guys were all decent favourites.
                  No more like, the good PBC fighters win and the average one's lose. That's all there is to it.

The person in charge of this is hated, so a lot of eyes on PBC and a lot of hope for their fighters to fail.

Comment

It's a case of good fighters getting the opportunity to prove themselves. It needs to happen more often as I feel it will put boxing back on the right course.

Comment

Originally posted by FeFist View Post
                      It's a case of good fighters getting the opportunity to prove themselves. It needs to happen more often as I feel it will put boxing back on the right course.
                      There's also so many fights happening, the high volume of fights will produce more upsets naturally(appear to be more upsets). As opposed to how many fights happening in the past pre-PBC, it was very bad, only premium channels and some FNF fights. Now we have a high volume of fights. It's like there are 162 games per season in the Major League Baseball, logically, you're going to see a ****load of losses from every team. Or like in NBA games, LeBron James is gonna play in 84 games or whatever amount it is they play in the NBA, 1. His team will not always win, 2. LeBron will not always have a great day. That's cause we see so many of these games, of course we're going to see these players go 0 for 4 one day and 4 for 4 the next day. In boxing it's different, we see very little of these fights but now PBC gives boxing a bigger schedule and yeah, we are going to see more upsets and big wins, especially by the average Haymon fighters. I think the good fighters will do good though.

Comment

Working...
                      X