Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What size glove for training? 10oz, 14oz, or 16?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jaskieee View Post
    I only weigh around 52kg which i think is something around 115 pounds, and i use 16 oz for sparing and 12 oz for everything else. I think 16 oz should be the norm with sparing.
    i jumped form 10oz to 12oz recently

have you used 10oz before? how does it compare? i'm not sure if those extra 2oz of protection are good enough to skip my 10oz gloves

Comment

I read in an interview with amateur trainer Frank Dunlap that he trains his boxers with 10 oz gloves for everything. Sparring included. He said using heavy gloves will throw your timing off when you get in with lighter gloves. I haven't ever used anything lighter than 14 oz gloves so I wouldn't know but it sounds logical at the very least.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny_123 View Post
        I highly doubt that wearing heavier gloves will increase your punch power or speed much.
        Otherwise why dont all pro's just train with heavier and heavier gloves each year then they'll all be Mike Tysons or George Foremans within a few years....

The only benefit I can see to training with heavier gloves is that you will no doubt get better arm endurance because to hold your guard up with 16oz is more strenuous than with 8oz....simple.
        And obviously you will feel more confident in the fight because you will feel like you arent wearing gloves at all.

But if somebody has legitimate proof that heavier gloves will make your punches faster and more powerful.....then be my guest and post it up and i'll gladly apoligise and eat my words.

I think the placebo effect is quite big on this.
        Try at home doing some curls with some 2 kg dumbells (5 pounds?) and then after that curl something close to 500g (1 pound?). You will automatically feel it being super light.

Comment

Originally posted by danny13 View Post
          What weight gloves do the pros use when training? 154 pounders and welter weights? What size gloves do they use for bag work? Pad work? Sparring? What do you guys think? There are many schools of though on this issue? Just curious what you all think. My trainer like to train with 10oz and spar with 14oz.

So for sparring only 16oz nothing less and preferably good gloves with well protecting padding.

For bag use 16 or 14 if your hands are not as resistant. Otherwise you can use 12-10 oz gloves to get that fighting simulation in.

Pad work i would recommend 12-10 gloves, because heavy gloves kinda hinders proper technique. Cause thats what pad work there for, training technique.

I personally use 18 oz winnings (am middleweight)for everything cause I canīt always tie them and untie them.
          They are quite heavy but necessary for sparring ( protection for my hands and my partner)

The guys at my gym only use 12oz or 14 oz gloves and mostly cheap ones with bad padding.
          I can tell you one with thing, you ****ing feel it. Every single punch quite hurts. Even the cruiserweights I fight were 12 oz.
          Hate them for that.
          And also I am annoyed that I have this handicap.
          First being way slower than them with my 18oz
          and second they hurt me, quite a lot and they feel nothing from my 18oz....

Anyway if you got money for only one glove but 16 oz gloves.
          If you are heavyweight 18oz

Comment

Working...
          X