Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jeffries vs Foreman

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, people always use the worst version of Jeffries, wich was the the one who fought Johnson. I guess that shows you how smart people are

Comment

It's too bad this fight could never happen because I think Jeffries would surprise you all. UNder 1970's rules Foreman-Jeffries might look like Foreman-Chuvalo if Chuvalo had more power with both hands. However, those tiny gloves are going to favor Jeffries more than Foreman, and all that wrestling is going to favor the better conditioned man with more endurance, Jeffries.

Foreman never fought with such small gloves so we have no idea if his hands could hold up to the abuse they'd take while wearing them. Jeffries fought his whole life wearing them and durability of the hand and fist was a more important characteristic in those days. Boxers actually had methods of toughening their hands up, and those smaller gloves pretty much weeded out the guys with brittle hands.

For all we know, Foreman shatters his hands in a few rounds pounding Jeffrie's concrete filled skull and is brutally stopped or knocked out.

In modern rules I'll go with Foreman in a tough, tough fight, but take this fight back to the early 1900's and I'm with Jim all the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid Achilles
        It's too bad this fight could never happen because I think Jeffries would surprise you all. UNder 1970's rules Foreman-Jeffries might look like Foreman-Chuvalo if Chuvalo had more power with both hands. However, those tiny gloves are going to favor Jeffries more than Foreman, and all that wrestling is going to favor the better conditioned man with more endurance, Jeffries.

Foreman never fought with such small gloves so we have no idea if his hands could hold up to the abuse they'd take while wearing them. Jeffries fought his whole life wearing them and durability of the hand and fist was a more important characteristic in those days. Boxers actually had methods of toughening their hands up, and those smaller gloves pretty much weeded out the guys with brittle hands.

For all we know, Foreman shatters his hands in a few rounds pounding Jeffrie's concrete filled skull and is brutally stopped or knocked out.

In modern rules I'll go with Foreman in a tough, tough fight, but take this fight back to the early 1900's and I'm with Jim all the way.
        ya know whats funny people don't think of that

people never think of a punchers power working against him. This is definitely one of the most plausible things that could happen

thanks for thinking outside the box

I don't know who to give it too because Jefferies gives up alittle power to foreman for more boxing skill so it really could go either way....but foreman would still get a nod from me

Comment

I know I'm in the minority; but I just don't feel Foreman had an advantage on Jeffries skill-wise. Foreman, in his prime, was the epitome of a crude but powerful slugger. Jeffries, from the footage I've seen, was no wiz; but he had skill. Now,if you take into account the skill that Foreman showed in his second career then, yes...he would either be on par or even have the advantage; but young George..I just don't see it. He was just so damn powerful that he steamrolled guys.

Now, granted, he did have great skill in cutting off the ring...as Ali himself has attested to; but cutting off the ring would not be necessary against Jeffries.

Foreman had a good jab; but it was sporadic and he much more preferred to get a guy out of there, which could work against him against Jeffries, who was incredibly durable and had a great chin.

Well, anyway, that's how I see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid Achilles

Jeffries is overrated and you can't compare those fighters to the modern heavyweights. I guess you can since he's white.

Foreman TKO in 5.

Comment

Foreman TKO in 5.
              I pretty much a agree with that.

Comment

Yep...can't imagine Jeffries beating the killer that was Big George.

Comment

idk
                  Jefferies boxing skill would keep george off

but to win a fight you can't run forever so

Foreman would still get my nod

"Big" George Foreman in 6 KO or TKO

(if he doesn't hurt his hand)

Comment

And what makes ya'll think Foreman would hurt his hands? The guy would be a murderer if he fought with those gloves, so Jim would never be able to take everything from Foreman.

Comment

Originally posted by Yaman
                      And what makes ya'll think Foreman would hurt his hands? The guy would be a murderer if he fought with those gloves, so Jim would never be able to take everything from Foreman.
                      true he would be a killer because with his strength and less padding it would double his power

but if you have alot of strength behind something like a fist with low padding he could break his hands.

you'll know what i mean if you train with like 14 oz gloves and you switch to like 10oz or lower you'll feel it in your hands, now take George's strength and put it behind that hand, it could break but

George still gets my nod,

Comment

Working...
                      X