Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is it acceptable to quit in MMA but unacceptable to quit in boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by genrick View Post
    So what's the answer? Who actually complains about what Kell Brook did? One, two posters? Probably pro Spence posters. Who is this thread addressed to? Who says it's unacceptable? Name one.
    Tony Bellew. Terence Crawford. Among other pro boxers people respect & clearly aren't afraid to get hit in the head. Idk the posters cuz I probably thought they were dummies before they said that about Brook.

But its clearly a thing. Idk why people are putting up arguments like this isn't a thing. Like I keep saying this is schoolyard bs from pre-puberty days. The kid who doesn't wanna fight or quits fighting before conclusively losing is deemed a p#ssy. That mindset just doesn't go away for everyone or it doesn't even go away completely maybe idk. But its in our DNA.

Is it the right way people should be thinking? No & many of us don't, but clearly a lot of people do think that way. I'd even argue its probably pretty close in the guys who think like us vs the guys who think like them in numbers.

Does being anti-quitting benefit you as a boxer more often then not? Definitely. I mean til that last time you get the chance to do it & end up with a piece of your skull being removed to release pressure on your brain or something f#cked up like that. Its clearly an attribute to not wanna or have a high threshold before you would quit most of the time.

So while you shouldn't condemn guys for quitting I think you gotta give points to the guys who don't & who make boxing more entertaining to watch + chase greatness to a higher degree then the guys who quit.

Comment

LOL everybody being PC ffs. They don't make Boxers how they use to bunch of sissies. The only way we should forgive this quit is if Spence retired him for good.
      He's like Khan now, when Khan faces a power puncher it's a foregone conclusion. If Kell steps up to 154 & faces a Charlo or even Lara, his eyes are going to get destroyed.

Comment

Eff Pandas, not every fighter had the same case as Brook who came into the fight with a questionable injury. There were also others like Margarito whose eye was visibly displaced. I also gave an example in another thread about Victor Ortiz who was never the same again after his jaw got broke by Lopez. This is the context in which this thread was made. There would be lots of arguments if this thread was made when Walters quit in the Loma fight. Entirely different cases.

First off this is apples and oranges. MMA fighters quit or tap out when they're about to die. The ref determines when to stop the fight.
        Last edited by rickJen; 05-31-2017, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by genrick View Post
          Eff Pandas, not every fighter had the same case as Brook who came into the fight with a questionable injury. There were also others like Margarito whose eye was visibly displaced. I also gave an example in another thread about Victor Ortiz who was never the same again after his jaw got broke by Lopez. This is the context in which this thread was made. There would be lots of arguments if this thread was made when Walters quit in the Loma fight. Entirely different cases.
          Yea I don't disagree with you there. I mean I understand there are even levels to quitting & how legit that situation is gonna be deemed by many fans who harshly consider quitting.

First off this is apples and oranges. MMA fighters quit or tap out when they're about to die. The ref determines when to stop the fight.
          Oh absolutely I brought that up in my first post here I believe. Tapping out your opponent in MMA is a legit path to victory.

That said I & anyone who's watched enough MMA have seen guys who tap early & that's more specifically what I was talking about in this thread in that vein. I mean I've seen talented guys escape all kinds of chokes & submissions to get to the next round & I've seen talented guys tap 1 second after a hold was applied & couldn't reasonable even be "deadly" at that point at least some of the time if not most of the time.

But like I also said me personally I don't really view it negatively either way (or at least most of the time cuz I'm sure I've thrown out some harsh words on occasion to be honest & I threw out a #ManQuit hashtag post-Spence vs Brook, but that was in humor more then in insult to Brook). I think if you have physically beaten someone or mentally made them quit its all basically the same deal from a fighting POV. You are the winner & superior to the other fighter & that's what the fight is ultimately about at its core.

Thing is from a fan POV I know why people are upset (in combat sports not just in boxing) & I know why this is a thing doe. And my biggest problem with any discussion about this stuff the last few days is some people are acting like negatively considering guys who quit before decisively losing in a way deemed more entertaining to fans is something new or not a thing at all. Its just not correct.

This has been going on since the schoolyard fight days & was probably going on in the cavemen days as being a man & being submissive to another man has always been seen as a negative thing & being superior to another man or men has been seen as a positive thing. This stuff is in our DNA, it was bred into us to respect the baddest mofos lowdown in this town more & to shame the ones who try to get out of their beating & see their L to its rightful conclusion.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
            Yea I don't disagree with you there. I mean I understand there are even levels to quitting & how legit that situation is gonna be deemed by many fans who harshly consider quitting.

Oh absolutely I brought that up in my first post here I believe. Tapping out your opponent in MMA is a legit path to victory.

That said I & anyone who's watched enough MMA have seen guys who tap early & that's more specifically what I was talking about in this thread in that vein. I mean I've seen talented guys escape all kinds of chokes & submissions to get to the next round & I've seen talented guys tap 1 second after a hold was applied & couldn't reasonable even be "deadly" at that point at least some of the time if not most of the time.

But like I also said me personally I don't really view it negatively either way (or at least most of the time cuz I'm sure I've thrown out some harsh words on occasion to be honest & I threw out a #ManQuit hashtag post-Spence vs Brook, but that was in humor more then in insult to Brook). I think if you have physically beaten someone or mentally made them quit its all basically the same deal from a fighting POV. You are the winner & superior to the other fighter & that's what the fight is ultimately about at its core.

Thing is from a fan POV I know why people are upset (in combat sports not just in boxing) & I know why this is a thing doe. And my biggest problem with any discussion about this stuff the last few days is some people are acting like negatively considering guys who quit before decisively losing in a way deemed more entertaining to fans is something new or not a thing at all. Its just not correct.

This has been going on since the schoolyard fight days & was probably going on in the cavemen days as being a man & being submissive to another man has always been seen as a negative thing & being superior to another man or men has been seen as a positive thing. This stuff is in our DNA, it was bred into us to respect the baddest mofos lowdown in this town more & to shame the ones who try to get out of their beating & see their L to its rightful conclusion.
            I just don't remember Conor getting a lot of **** for tapping early. I don't follow the sport but I'd think I would've heard about it because he's their biggest star. Did he?

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
              I just don't remember Conor getting a lot of **** for tapping early. I don't follow the sport but I'd think I would've heard about it because he's their biggest star. Did he?
              Some random headlines from a quick google search:

Eddie Alvarez: Conor McGregor Quits After Eight Minutes.

Chael Sonnen: Conor McGregor Got Exhausted and Quit.

Alex Ariza: Conor McGregor Quit vs Nate Diaz Will Quit Again.

Conor Mcgregor Hits Back At Reporter Who Says He Tapped Quickly.

Tyson Fury: Conor McGregor tapped out too quickly.

Jose Aldo slams Conor McGregor and calls him a quitter.

Floyd Mayweather: Conor McGregor Is A Quitter.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                Some random headlines from a quick google search:

Eddie Alvarez: Conor McGregor Quits After Eight Minutes.

Chael Sonnen: Conor McGregor Got Exhausted and Quit.

Alex Ariza: Conor McGregor Quit vs Nate Diaz Will Quit Again.

Conor Mcgregor Hits Back At Reporter Who Says He Tapped Quickly.

Tyson Fury: Conor McGregor tapped out too quickly.

Jose Aldo slams Conor McGregor and calls him a quitter.

Floyd Mayweather: Conor McGregor Is A Quitter.
                Amongst the fans was he considered tapping out early? Like fans are saying Brook did

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
                  Amongst the fans was he considered tapping out early? Like fans are saying Brook did
                  Oh yea. You know the fans are jumping on the early tapping/quitting stuff when you got the big names throwing it out there casually.

Idk how split it was, but I definitely felt it was a worse "quitting situation" then Brook's easily.

Comment

Working...
                  X