Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did anyone ever believe Andre Ward was ever on Floyd Mayweather Jr's level or above?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did anyone ever believe Andre Ward was ever on Floyd Mayweather Jr's level or above?

If yes, then why couldn't Ward beat his best opponents like Sergey Kovalev, Carl Froch and Mikkel Kessler as impressively as Mayweather beat his best opponents like Canelo Alvarez, Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez?

Mayweather lost fewer rounds against his best opponents than Ward did against his best opponents.

Mayweather also beat Canelo Alvarez indisputably with a near shutout performance. To the point where there wasn't any need for a rematch because there wasn't any doubt as to who won in that bout. Proving that the gap in skills between Mayweather and one of his best opponents in Canelo Alvarez was significantly greater than the gap between Ward and one of his best opponents in Sergey Kovalev. Since Andre Ward didn't decisively beat Kovalev the first time with the win being in doubt because the rounds were closer and Kovalev won more rounds against Ward than Canelo did against Mayweather. The same was the case in the rematch until Ward resorted to illegal moves to achieve his controversial stoppage victory. In other words, Ward didn't indisputably prove to be the better boxer than Kovalev whilst Mayweather indisputably proved to be the better boxer than Canelo Alvarez, Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez.

Originally posted by Ganstaz003 View Post
    If yes, then why couldn't Ward beat his best opponents like Sergey Kovalev, Carl Froch and Mikkel Kessler as impressively as Mayweather beat his best opponents like Canelo Alvarez, Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez?

Mayweather lost fewer rounds against his best opponents than Ward did against his best opponents.

Mayweather also beat Canelo Alvarez indisputably with a near shutout performance. To the point where there wasn't any need for a rematch because there wasn't any doubt as to who won in that bout. Proving that the gap in skills between Mayweather and one of his best opponents in Canelo Alvarez was significantly greater than the gap between Ward and one of his best opponents in Sergey Kovalev. Since Andre Ward didn't decisively beat Kovalev the first time with the win being in doubt because the rounds were closer and Kovalev won more rounds against Ward than Canelo did against Mayweather. The same was the case in the rematch until Ward resorted to illegal moves to achieve his controversial stoppage victory. In other words, Ward didn't indisputably prove to be the better boxer than Kovalev whilst Mayweather indisputably proved to be the better boxer than Canelo Alvarez, Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez.
    Mayweather had some close fights against arguably lesser fighters than the ones you said was close for Ward. If Ward is an A+ fighter then Mayweather is A++. They're both highly skilled but Mayweather is a tad bit better. Ward on the other hand has been more consistent through out his life.

Comment

Ward fought all his opponents in their primes thats why hr had tougher fights floyd didnt.

Comment

No comparison between the two. Mayweather is great Ward is not. They are a world apart.

Just like the Marquez and Cotto comparison. Nobody really thinks Cotto or Ward are better (than Floyd or Marquez). Let's be real.

Comment

No i never did and never understood the comparisons because besides the jab to the body they fight nothing alike.

But still Ward's a beast, arguably the goat at 168 lbs and moved up to fight the big bad wolf twice when many people insisted he wouldn't so credit to him.

Comment

I like Mayweather more than Ward and think he was better. Mayweather uses his speed and skill to land clean punches without needing to hold his opponent in order to hit him. Ward had a mauling, wrestling hold and hit style. He often led with a grab instead of a jab and threw and landed most of his punches while he was holding his opponent which is supposed to be illegal but that rule is often not enforced. If they were the same size I think Mayweather would outscore Ward at long distance and mid range and he could handle Ward's wrestling and holding while hitting.Mayweather's fights were also more enjoyable for me to watch than Ward's fights without so much wrestling and clinching.

Comment

Ward has never officially lost as a pro or amature. I have issues with the Kovakev fight but officially that's a fact. Mayweather is undefeated as a pro but lost in the amatures I personally thought he lost the Pacquiao fight. Officially Ward has the better record.

Comment

You’re just a racist brah

Comment

Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
                  Ward has never officially lost as a pro or amature. I have issues with the Kovakev fight but officially that's a fact. Mayweather is undefeated as a pro but lost in the amatures I personally thought he lost the Pacquiao fight. Officially Ward has the better record.

Ward had five losses as an amateur. But it doesn't matter when talking about his professional career or Mayweather's.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
                    Ward is a god compared to mayweather

Comment

Working...
                    X