Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Non Stop Boxing

View Poll Results: Is Freddie Roach Really A Great Trainer?
Yes - (Please state the reason why in the thread) 25 51.02%
No - He's a good trainer at best and highly overrated 24 48.98%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-03-2012, 03:52 PM #1
Boxing Virtuoso

Quoted: 499 Post(s)
JK1700 has a reputation beyond reputeJK1700 has a reputation beyond reputeJK1700 has a reputation beyond reputeJK1700 has a reputation beyond reputeJK1700 has a reputation beyond reputeJK1700 has a reputation beyond reputeJK1700 has a reputation beyond reputeJK1700 has a reputation beyond reputeJK1700 has a reputation beyond reputeJK1700 has a reputation beyond reputeJK1700 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 67,289,700,811,386,363,904.00
Total Points: 67,289,700,811,386,396,672.00
keep up the good work champ - Atreyu Khalil Cheers! - dan_cov Cheers mate - Chrismart Cheers - BoxingIsGreat Much respect, homie!!! - travestyny 
Default People Need To Stop Saying That Freddie Roach Is A Great Trainer

He's not and we saw it again last night with Lateef Kayode being completely schooled and embrassed by a guy almost 15 years older than him in Antonio Tarver, only for the judges to rule it a draw in one of the worst decisions of the year so far. Kayode was much younger, had been much more active, was the physically bigger guy and was training with a guy who a lot of people claim is the best trainer in boxing so he should have gone out there and put on a spectacular performance, but instead he got taken to school and was exposed as nothing more than a one-dimensional fighter with no defence or versatility, a very low ring IQ, poor co-ordination and a very sloppy arsenal of punches. What's even more interesting is that every single Freddie Roach trained fighter seems to be exactly like that. Manny Pacquiao, Jorge Linares and Amir Khan also all fight like amatuers and only have one style that they can use, and Freddie, despite all of the credit that he gets, doesn't seem to have any idea how to get them to change up and do something different when it doesn't work. Lateef Kayode won the first 2 rounds and then Tarver adjusted and started to control and dominate the fight, and Kayode never made an adjustment. It was Amir Khan vs Lamont Peterson all over again. If your a great trainer, why can't your fighters adapt?

I just don't understand how you can call this guy a great trainer when his fighter's have so many flaws. In my opinion, if your a great trainer then your fighters should at least have good/very good defence, the ability to box on the backfoot and move forward effectively and the ability to throw good, accurate combinations and hardly any of Roach's fighters can do any of those things. Yes Manny Pacquiao can throw accurate combinations against punching bags that don't move like Joshua Clottey and Antonio Margarito but whenever he faces anyone with good defence and/or movement he ends up looking stupid, even if they are 40 years old like Shane Mosley. I understand that the guy has parkinsons syndrome so a lot of people give him credit for doing what he's doing despite that, and he does deserve credit for that, but it shouldn't make people exaggerate his abilities to the criminal extent that they have done and continue to do. I think he's won "trainer of the year" about 5 or 6 times while Roger Mayweather hasn't won it once despite his fighter having dominated 20-25 world class opponents across 5 different weight classes. That doesn't make any sense. I'm not saying that Freddie is a terrible trainer, but I really don't see any logical reason behind calling him a great one. If I am missing something and you can give me a logical reason why he is, then I would love to hear it because I just don't see it. I think the guy just gets a lot of credit because he trains Manny Pacquiao but he hasn't really improved Manny at all. Manny has just been looking good because his opposition has been tailor made for him which is something that was exposed in the 3rd fight with Marquez. People say he's improved, but he hasn't.

Poll coming.

Last edited by JK1700; 06-04-2012 at 04:47 AM.
JK1700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 06-03-2012, 03:55 PM #2
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ko King 212 has a reputation beyond reputeKo King 212 has a reputation beyond reputeKo King 212 has a reputation beyond reputeKo King 212 has a reputation beyond reputeKo King 212 has a reputation beyond reputeKo King 212 has a reputation beyond reputeKo King 212 has a reputation beyond reputeKo King 212 has a reputation beyond reputeKo King 212 has a reputation beyond reputeKo King 212 has a reputation beyond reputeKo King 212 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,611,693,887,977,505.50
Total Points: 1,611,693,907,076,950.75

He has always been overrated. He doesn't teach fundamentals which is f-cking terrible.
Ko King 212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:56 PM #3
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Uns has a reputation beyond reputeUns has a reputation beyond reputeUns has a reputation beyond reputeUns has a reputation beyond reputeUns has a reputation beyond reputeUns has a reputation beyond reputeUns has a reputation beyond reputeUns has a reputation beyond reputeUns has a reputation beyond reputeUns has a reputation beyond reputeUns has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 11,155,003,595.10
I'm shit.  But thanks anyway. - Southpaw Stinger To our fearless leader - jazluvr 

Like any trainer, you need a great fighter you can teach. Freddie should not try to train so many boxers because ou simply can't get 10 guys to all be world class.

With the way you talk, then no trainer is great. Uncle Roger has Floyd but trains loads, yet there are very few fighters he has that are good, a long with most.
Uns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:56 PM #4

Quoted: 1474 Post(s)
DeadLikeMe has a reputation beyond reputeDeadLikeMe has a reputation beyond reputeDeadLikeMe has a reputation beyond reputeDeadLikeMe has a reputation beyond reputeDeadLikeMe has a reputation beyond reputeDeadLikeMe has a reputation beyond reputeDeadLikeMe has a reputation beyond reputeDeadLikeMe has a reputation beyond reputeDeadLikeMe has a reputation beyond reputeDeadLikeMe has a reputation beyond reputeDeadLikeMe has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 24,459,002,110,396,361,342,976.00
Total Points: 24,459,104,110,401,367,834,624.00
Merry Christmas - Flab ...and a Happy New Year! - Flab owning pactards - I'm so sorry No Message - MARKBNLV No Message - MARKBNLV 
No Message - MARKBNLV Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil No Message - WESS Thanks for the green - damit305 :rofl: :rofl: Your post on triggs thread - jose830 
No Message - WESS have a cold one on me - sugarsmosley Good post about Maidana - punchr Thnx 4 the green ;) - Boxing Goat 

Way to phrase the poll weird, I meant to vote yes. I think he is undoubtedly a world class trainer and top tier, that being said fans of his fighters have a tendency to overrate the hell out of him. But he is one of the best in the world regardless.
DeadLikeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:59 PM #5
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
915angel is infamous around these parts915angel is infamous around these parts915angel is infamous around these parts915angel is infamous around these parts915angel is infamous around these parts915angel is infamous around these parts915angel is infamous around these parts915angel is infamous around these parts915angel is infamous around these parts915angel is infamous around these parts915angel is infamous around these parts
Bank: 9,422,486,756.28
Total Points: 14,538,181,677.37
Happy Easter  Mister :kiss: - Bossy 

at the end of the day your trainer canrt fight for you freddie gave him a gameplan and he didnt execute!
915angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:03 PM #6
Gossip Girl

Quoted: 982 Post(s)
Hougigo has a reputation beyond reputeHougigo has a reputation beyond reputeHougigo has a reputation beyond reputeHougigo has a reputation beyond reputeHougigo has a reputation beyond reputeHougigo has a reputation beyond reputeHougigo has a reputation beyond reputeHougigo has a reputation beyond reputeHougigo has a reputation beyond reputeHougigo has a reputation beyond reputeHougigo has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 67,494,800,772,154,000.00
Total Points: 67,495,456,165,100,032.00
Bradley Tribe - mathed STORMTROOPERS - DonMega Great poster, always look forward to your posts - techliam No Message - MDPopescu Great sig pic - Boxing Goat 
WAR Bradley! - LoadedWraps STORMTROOPERS!!! - DonMega Bradley Tribe!!!!! - mathed Easter is approaching so here's an Easter Egg for being a HOF poster - jas To a valiant warrior. - DonMega 
Mount up#The Tribe - Rome-By-Ko a beer for an atg poster - jas To a great poster and fellow Trooper! - LoadedWraps GGG. - Scott.Weiland Great poster :love: - Beercules 
Have a cookie, great poster. - Aztekkas Tribe!!!!!!! - mathed my bad bout yesterday I was in terrible mood. Cheers! - bigjavi973 No Message - Scott-Weiland Happy Holidays! - MDPopescu 
Hodgkin's Disease - Testicular Cancer - jas Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - BostonGuy Autism - jas Alzheimer's - Crohn's &amp; Colitis - Cystic Fibrosis - Domestic Violence - Fibromyalgia - Leimyosarcoma - Lupus - jas Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - jas 
Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - jas Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - jas Cancer - Epilepsy - Foster Care - Gynecological Cancer - Rett Syndrome - jas Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - jas Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - jas 
Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - jas Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - jas 

Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.

Seriously though, he's an alright trainer. He has world class guys, that's why he seems so great
Hougigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:11 PM #7
Boxing Virtuoso

Quoted: 499 Post(s)
JK1700 has a reputation beyond reputeJK1700 has a reputation beyond reputeJK1700 has a reputation beyond reputeJK1700 has a reputation beyond reputeJK1700 has a reputation beyond reputeJK1700 has a reputation beyond reputeJK1700 has a reputation beyond reputeJK1700 has a reputation beyond reputeJK1700 has a reputation beyond reputeJK1700 has a reputation beyond reputeJK1700 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 67,289,700,811,386,363,904.00
Total Points: 67,289,700,811,386,396,672.00
keep up the good work champ - Atreyu Khalil Cheers! - dan_cov Cheers mate - Chrismart Cheers - BoxingIsGreat Much respect, homie!!! - travestyny 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hougigo View Post
Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.Freddie Roach is a great trainer.

Seriously though, he's an alright trainer. He has world class guys, that's why he seems so great
Just because you are training great fighters doesn't mean you are a great trainer. And which of his fighters would you describe as being "world class" apart from Manny "I let other people make my decisions for me" Pacquiao? Who lost to a 38 year old Lightweight in his last fight. Because I can't think of any. Lateef Kayode damn sure isn't world class and neither is Amir "The Amatuer" Khan. They're both one dimensional and overrated. Is there anyone who I am forgetting?

Last edited by JK1700; 06-03-2012 at 04:15 PM.
JK1700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:17 PM #8
Dallas Cowboys

Quoted: 1089 Post(s)
JAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond reputeJAB5239 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 231,794,986,064,265,216,000.00
Total Points: 231,794,986,064,265,314,304.00
For posting endless wisdom - Massage Queen keep dropping knowledge jabs - Makavelli To my friend Jab. One of the SUPERstars of Boxingscene. - BattlingNelson A toast homey. Here's to one of the site's best posters. - mangler Keeping History Alive - 0Rooster4Life0 
Although we may disagree, I completely understand you. - Dominicano Soy! A lucky charm 4 ya homey - mangler To my boy JAB for keeping it real at all times - Kevin Jesus To a cool guy - Stoppage for being a heavyweight in history section - led 
For a friend and a guy who really knows his stuff. - Lorily Great Poster and Moderator. - Barnburner For your boxing knowledge and insightful threads. - Barnburner For being a noble gent and for top posts! - Sugarj To one of the nicest members on this forum. Knows boxing also! - Terry A 
For all the Boxing knowledge shared - BulgariasFinest For a great guy - jazluvr Thanks for your continued friendship &amp; for sharing your wealth of boxing knowledge w/ us! - Terry A Cheers mate. Loving the section. - BennyST Apologies for any misunderstanding.  Cheers. - HAMMER77777 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - Tha_Greatest 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hougigo View Post

And why would world class fighters choose to train with Roach? Answer: He' a great trainer.
JAB5239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:17 PM #9
Interim Champion

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
ironmike2012 has a reputation beyond reputeironmike2012 has a reputation beyond reputeironmike2012 has a reputation beyond reputeironmike2012 has a reputation beyond reputeironmike2012 has a reputation beyond reputeironmike2012 has a reputation beyond reputeironmike2012 has a reputation beyond reputeironmike2012 has a reputation beyond reputeironmike2012 has a reputation beyond reputeironmike2012 has a reputation beyond reputeironmike2012 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 666,012,389,861.32
Total Points: 666,012,408,902.90

He is a good trainer, that has trained some greats. Cut him a break, the fact that he is even still able to train fighters tells you how great of a person he really is. He can't fight for the fighters, they have to take the blame for winning and losing.
ironmike2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 04:19 PM #10
The Darkest Timeline...

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Evil Abed has a reputation beyond reputeEvil Abed has a reputation beyond reputeEvil Abed has a reputation beyond reputeEvil Abed has a reputation beyond reputeEvil Abed has a reputation beyond reputeEvil Abed has a reputation beyond reputeEvil Abed has a reputation beyond reputeEvil Abed has a reputation beyond reputeEvil Abed has a reputation beyond reputeEvil Abed has a reputation beyond reputeEvil Abed has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 42,059,019,207,030,192.00
Total Points: 42,059,039,025,539,248.00
have a beer - -MAKAVELLI- Some fruit for a stalwart of this magnificent craft. - Robin Hood One ring to rule em all... - -KULT- even phantom need to eat.. - -KULT- some more food.. - -KULT- 
Happy beerday bro - Talisayen Feliz Cumpleanos - MANIAC310 happy birthday homie - hhs661 happy bday bro - chiguy91 Thanks. I can't sent you green. - Carpe Diem 
merry x-mas! - chiguy91 you're the reason i dont need to check twitter lol - -MAKAVELLI- One of NSBs best - BostonGuy 20k - MELLY-MEL... Beer on the house on your 20k post... - jose830 
i enjoy your posts mate, grats on 20k - Alx. To 20k more - Sweet Pea 50 Here's one on me. Congrats! - LedŽ your posts are always hilarious and entertaining - Alx. Pretend it's Hopkins, phaggot. - T.B.E. 48-0 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - ThePhantom5 Childhood Cancer - ThePhantom5 Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - jazluvr Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - -KULT- 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - -KULT- Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - TBear World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - TBear 

Roach is a world Class trainer.
Evil Abed is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
freddie, great, people, roach, stop, trainer

User Tag List