Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are today's trainers better that the trainers of old?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are today's trainers better that the trainers of old?

Many times on here we argue about the merits of modern fighters versus old time fighters.

But how about the trainers? Does anyone feel that today's boxing coaches are more knowledgeable in the sweet science than their predecessors?

LOL like Pacquiao vs Mayweather?

Freddie Roach vs Teddy Atlas?

Roach trained under legendary trainer Eddie Futch.

While Teddy Atlas' journey in boxing began in his early teens when he was invited Atlas to come and train in Catskill, New York with Cus D'Amato. D'Amato was a legendary trainer in the area and he took Atlas under his wing.

We all know Futch and Cus had no love for each other!

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose!

Comment

They are not as knowledgable. They would perhaps be better amateur trainers. The style most trainers teach is based on amateur success anyway, as has been pointed out numerous times by Ray Corso.

That does not mean there are not a few moderns who are exceptional and equal to the oldtimers. Personally, I do not feel it is rocket science.

Comment

Enculés ignorants!

Comment

Today's trainers are just coaches. Not really teachers.

Comment

Just as you get exceptional fighters every once and a while, you occasionally get an exceptional trainer. On average, I'm not sure if they're any better or any worse today than they were in past times.

Comment

Originally posted by TJ highway View Post
              LOL like Pacquiao vs Mayweather?

Freddie Roach vs Teddy Atlas?

Roach trained under legendary trainer Eddie Futch.

While Teddy Atlas' journey in boxing began in his early teens when he was invited Atlas to come and train in Catskill, New York with Cus D'Amato. D'Amato was a legendary trainer in the area and he took Atlas under his wing.

We all know Futch and Cus had no love for each other!

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose!
              Pretty sure those two are fighters mate.

Anyway, like the fighters, trainers have dropped off dramatically due to numbers in the game which is going to decrease talent, and make it easier for any old schmo to train people with wacky ****.

The amount of videos I see by faux trainers that talk about weird new punches and silly, over analysed **** that they have just literally made up themselves is amazing. Crazy stuff like 'rear hook, back foot punch'...

I saw a video recently that was analysing some 'new' punches, and giving them never before heard of names, in what was clearly just basic techniques improvised in the heat of battle, ie. a 1-2 that was thrown at a slightly different angle because the fighter had noticed the opponent was moving his head over a little. That's all it was, and yet this video went on about all this ridiculous analysis and called it something crazy like 'the right angled, off center, jab, rear straight hand' or some ****ing thing like that. Boxing hipsters.

I dunno! I give up!

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw Stinger View Post
                Just as you get exceptional fighters every once and a while, you occasionally get an exceptional trainer. On average, I'm not sure if they're any better or any worse today than they were in past times.
                There seemed to be more in the past though, wouldn't you say?

Angelo Dundee, Eddie Futch, George Benton, Cus D'Amato, Freddie Brown, Ray Arcel, Gil Clancy, Emmanuel Steward. Just to mention a few that were active into the 1980s at least.

Comment

I think in the past it was more the desire of the fighter that made those coaches more noticed etc.

Most of the fighters today protect their 0 and only fight once or twice a year and no big names really, because they are paid a lot more compared to the past fighters.

Comment

In the forward of his book Championship Boxing Jack Dempsy says flat out that he reason he wrote the book was because due to his success too much money had come into boxing and the sport was full fake trainers who were really conmen who knew nothing about boxing. Not much has changed.

Comment

Working...
                    X