No announcement yet.

How the Kovalev deal to fight on ESPN was made

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lanker rom View Post
    First off no one knows the specifics of Arums deal with ESPN. in fact we know more about haymons deal than his.
    Secondly your theory means that ESPN Is paying top rank to buy fights off purse bid. That doesn't sound like a typical tv deal. Is he buying fights or whole cards? and when they are bought does that effect the real promoter of the fight. couldn't ESPN do this themselves without arum? and with having to buy practically random fights that means that espn wont be getting the same fighters to build consistently.

All of these plus more ideas have been discussed between ESPN and Top rank. Its a very different deal than a normal rights fee
    No, ESPN is paying Top Rank a certain sum a year and Top Rank is using that to fill their cards. With the money they have, they could bring fights to their ESPN by winning the purse bids. Like I said, they don't have the stable to fill all those dates. Top Rank wins rights to those fights and put them on their cards where they co-promote. And sometimes they just make deals like they did with Dibella bringing Prograis to ESPN and this one with Kovalev/Alvarez.

ESPN wants sports content period. Live sports events is the best value on television right now. Sure they don't get to build certain fighters who are signed elsewhere but don't think they are too worried about that.

Comment

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
      No way on God’s green earth is their going to be a bout involving Loma where the winner gets a certain amount and a loser gets another. The purses will be guaranteed and Pedraza aint getting no milly. We definitely will see.
      I think what he meant was Joe saying the winner between pedraza and Beltran gets a milli to fight Loma. It is a unification and Linares got 1.2 milli against him so it is possible I think.

Comment

• Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post
        No, ESPN is paying Top Rank a certain sum a year and Top Rank is using that to fill their cards. With the money they have, they could bring fights to their ESPN by winning the purse bids. Like I said, they don't have the stable to fill all those dates. Top Rank wins rights to those fights and put them on their cards where they co-promote. And sometimes they just make deals like they did with Dibella bringing Prograis to ESPN and this one with Kovalev/Alvarez.

ESPN wants sports content period. Live sports events is the best value on television right now. Sure they don't get to build certain fighters who are signed elsewhere but don't think they are too worried about that.

The problem with your theory is that if ESPN was paying double (60 million) THE SAME AMOUNT AS FOX. They would have bought the superior product AKA PBC. And pbc would have taken the money alah FOX DEAL.

When TOP Rank buys fights or shows fights with Frank warren they are not live fights (depending on the time).

Im not going to go on because honestly I don't have enough info to come to a complete comclusion on their deal. However I think its very important that when you think about it to ask yourself why would ESPN drop an exclusive agreement with PBC to have one with TOP RANK.

Comment

The problem with your theory is that if ESPN was paying double (60 million) THE SAME AMOUNT AS FOX. They would have bought the superior product AKA PBC. And pbc would have taken the money alah FOX DEAL.

When TOP Rank buys fights or shows fights with Frank warren they are not live fights (depending on the time).

Im not going to go on because honestly I don't have enough info to come to a complete comclusion on their deal. However I think its very important that when you think about it to ask yourself why would ESPN drop an exclusive agreement with PBC to have one with TOP RANK.
          They are paying the same amount with far more shows than FOX. They have 30 of their own shows to put on, with 24 international cards. FOX has 10 big cards and 12 FS1 cards.

What do you mean they are not live fights? They are live fights. Warren's cards will only be afternoon cards. Heck, ESPN and ESPN+ have shown live Australia cards at like 5 am pst in the morning.

Comment

They are paying the same amount with far more shows than FOX. They have 30 of their own shows to put on, with 24 international cards. FOX has 10 big cards and 12 FS1 cards.

What do you mean they are not live fights? They are live fights. Warren's cards will only be afternoon cards. Heck, ESPN and ESPN+ have shown live Australia cards at like 5 am pst in the morning.

You don't think they could have gotten that same amount from haymon? think about it guy everything ESPN got from top rank they could have gotten plus that from PBC.

The fact that they show fights at 5 am is not a plus and does nothing for the sport or even top rank or for espn for that matter. it isn't relevant and only worth something on ESPN+.

In actuality other than loma, Crawford, and library
            Frank warren brings a more consistant product than top rank.

What is ESPN getting from this deal that they couldn't get from PBC? when you can get the answer to than u can understand this deal

Comment

• Originally posted by eco1 View Post
              wait for it. Give it a decade.
              They've already started bundling streams...

Comment

You don't think they could have gotten that same amount from haymon? think about it guy everything ESPN got from top rank they could have gotten plus that from PBC.

The fact that they show fights at 5 am is not a plus and does nothing for the sport or even top rank or for espn for that matter. it isn't relevant and only worth something on ESPN+.

In actuality other than loma, Crawford, and library
                Frank warren brings a more consistant product than top rank.

What is ESPN getting from this deal that they couldn't get from PBC? when you can get the answer to than u can understand this deal
                Haymon ended up getting a better deal with FOX anyways and got a great deal with SHO. How do you know ESPN wasn't asking for exclusivity like they got from Top Rank?

And ESPN was looking for content, and the library was huge. One of the things featured on ESPN+.

The point I was making was they aren't going to show delayed Frank Warren cards. They show cards live at 5 am, what makes you think they won't show cards live at 2 pm? And the fight after it is done is on the app so you can watch it if you don't catch it live.

Comment

Haymon ended up getting a better deal with FOX anyways and got a great deal with SHO. How do you know ESPN wasn't asking for exclusivity like they got from Top Rank?

And ESPN was looking for content, and the library was huge. One of the things featured on ESPN+.

The point I was making was they aren't going to show delayed Frank Warren cards. They show cards live at 5 am, what makes you think they won't show cards live at 2 pm? And the fight after it is done is on the app so you can watch it if you don't catch it live.
                  In your theory ESPN is giving out more dates than FOX and is paying the same amount. My question is what warrants top rank to get 60 million?

Comment

In your theory ESPN is giving out more dates than FOX and is paying the same amount. My question is what warrants top rank to get 60 million?
                    How about the fact they have 30 dates? They want quality so Top Rank has money to get fights like Kovalev/Alvarez. Would they be able to get that fight with a much lesser budget? Would they be able to pay Crawford that much money with a lesser budget?

Comment

• Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
                      Where do people get this idea that the Porter's aren't loyal to Haymon? Porter has gotten the best fights out of Haymon's whole stable and has fought on all the platforms, Network and cable TV. And he's gotten paid well to do so. The Porters have never shown any indication of not being loyal to Haymon. Unless there was something said that I missed?
                      Kenny, this week on Tha Boxing Voice podcast, Kenny implied that he had a meeting with Arum scheduled this upcoming week. To me, this act in itself is not a sign of being disloyal but as any good manager (and father), Kenny will explore all the options.

Comment

Working...
                      X