Collapse
No announcement yet.

The punching power of Julian Jackson and the handspeed of Meldrick Taylor

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you have to sit down on your punches a bit more than Taylor did to get that level of power into them, so no, I would say that level of speed isn't quite attainable while maintaining truly devastating power. The power of most speed-based fighters comes from catching opponents with blind punches. SRR himself said he had very little raw power, but Basilio claimed he hit harder than anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiranui View Post
      I think you have to sit down on your punches a bit more than Taylor did to get that level of power into them, so no, I would say that level of speed isn't quite attainable while maintaining truly devastating power. The power of most speed-based fighters comes from catching opponents with blind punches. SRR himself said he had very little raw power, but Basilio claimed he hit harder than anyone.

robinson was being modest if he said he wasnt a big puncher

at 160 he was a huge hitter
      and at 147 he's one of the hardest punchers ever

the guy could crack with both hands and from all over
      he was a gifted puncher.

obviously his craft sets his offense up, but the man could bang

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
        robinson was being modest if he said he wasnt a big puncher

at 160 he was a huge hitter
        and at 147 he's one of the hardest punchers ever

the guy could crack with both hands and from all over
        he was a gifted puncher.

obviously his craft sets his offense up, but the man could bang
        I really think most of his power came from blind punches, which we caught opponents with practically every combination. He had a very unique and unorthodox method of unloading his shots that almost ensured at least one would land blind in each exchange, and which hasn't been duplicated since.

Comment

Manny Pacquiao is basically who you are describing

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
            Manny Pacquiao is basically who you are describing

he's one of the best candidates out there

the rough part is the weight

he fights guys too big to spark out today

if they kept him at 140 and 135 and let his body adjust he'd still be stretching guys
            Last edited by New England; 01-27-2012, 11:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiranui View Post
              I really think most of his power came from blind punches, which we caught opponents with practically every combination. He had a very unique and unorthodox method of unloading his shots that almost ensured at least one would land blind in each exchange, and which hasn't been duplicated since.
              Maybe so, but the man's hands were like boulders. Maybe he didn't think he had that much power, but let's ask Gene Fullmer about that one...that is, if he's woken up yet.

Comment

First boxer that comes to mind is a young Mike Tyson.

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
                  Maybe so, but the man's hands were like boulders. Maybe he didn't think he had that much power, but let's ask Gene Fullmer about that one...that is, if he's woken up yet.

agreed

there are plenty of instances where robinson is simply boring down on an opponent when he has him hurt or overwhelmed

not all of his shots are counterpunches
                  or hidden

there are plenty of instances where he comes forward, taking a few punches, with no pretense of aspiring to do anything else other than bang on a guy's head and body until he goes down

the guy had huge power

i'm sure some of his shots didnt get noticed by an opponent because of his craft and his speed
                  but that's not all that was going on
                  he could flat out bang

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                    he's one of the best candidates out there

the rough part is the weight

he fights guys too big to spark out today

if they kept him at 140 and 135 and let his body adjust he'd still be stretching guys
                    I remember one part of the second Morales fight where Erik caught Pac with a solid right then got hit with a left hand flush over the top. It knocked him back like five feet into the ropes and you could see in his eyes that he had never been hit like that.

Then, 'cause he's a badass, he thumped his chest and went back to work. For a knockout of a shot old legend, that was a HELL of a fight.

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
                      I remember one part of the second Morales fight where Erik caught Pac with a solid right then got hit with a left hand flush over the top. It knocked him back like five feet into the ropes and you could see in his eyes that he had never been hit like that.

Then, 'cause he's a badass, he thumped his chest and went back to work. For a knockout of a shot old legend, that was a HELL of a fight.

remember the 12th round of the first fight, when morales went toe to toe with manny and turned southpaw when he was clearly ahead on the cards?
                      just to make it a better scrap, lol!

legend
                      legend

i'll never get over it.

Comment

Working...
                      X