No announcement yet.

Michael Moorer the light heavyweight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Moorer the light heavyweight

How would you rank him as a lhw, historically? I know he didnt fight that many good opponents there, but he was so dominant and looked great. And what do you think his chances would have been against Michael Spinks, Eddie Mustafa Muhammad, Dwight M. Qawi and Matthew Saad?

I thought about posting his name in the other Light heavyweight thread, but thought I'd ship some grief.

That said, the guy was a monster at the weight.......I think he'd give many of the top 20 best light heavyweights a damn good fight, and certainly beat more than a few.

His punch power and southpaw stance make him a difficult prospect for anyone.

Comment

Moorer certainly looked dangerous at lightheavyweight. The problem is that he never fought anyone who would make the all time top 200 at that weight. My opinion is that his chin would have betrayed him against the best. Very ordinary Frankie Swindell had him staggered. With just 21 fights in that division, Moorer doesn't add up to very much in its history.

Comment

He doesn't rate historically. Moorer was obviously a big puncher and physically very big at the weight, but his suspect chin, vulnerable defense and one-dimensional style would have been found out by the elite of the division. Moorer basically relied on KO'ing his opponent and was actually losing quite badly to a washed up Leslie Stewart until getting him out of there with one punch.

In his era he could have reigned though, Virgil Hill was the only light heavyweight worth mentioning during that era.

Comment

Originally posted by Pastrano View Post
          How would you rank him as a lhw, historically? I know he didnt fight that many good opponents there, but he was so dominant and looked great. And what do you think his chances would have been against Michael Spinks, Eddie Mustafa Muhammad, Dwight M. Qawi and Matthew Saad?
          Beating one ranked opponent and holding a paper title hardly makes you dominant.

Comment

He just wasn't very good.

I mean, he was good, he had alot of ability.

But his resume there is genuinely terrible.

Comment

Agreed. Moorer looked great at 175 but the level of competiton was bad.

Comment

He's actually more overrated than Mosley at lightweight. He gets embarrassed by any great LHW.

Comment

He beats Mustafa Muhammad and Saad Muhammad and gets KO'd by Spinks and Qawi

Comment

Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
                    He beats Mustafa Muhammad and Saad Muhammad
                    I disagree.

Comment

Working...
                    X