Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Canelo-Kovalev Generates $8.173 Million, 10,005 Tickets Sold

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This article is misleading.

The Jacobs fight was in May, this fight was in November, Cinco De Mayo is a much bigger boxing weekend, way more people in town, and that fight only made $500,000 more? That's actually a compliment to Canelo, the fact that it was late in the year on an odd weekend for massive boxing events is impressive.

But you can't ignore that Canelo needs a box office type opponent, which clearly is Charlo at this point.

He fights Charlo in May, it will sell out, people will pay top dollars for tickets, the gate will be more like $15 to $20 million

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
      It holds 16,800. It was scaled down to 15K because GB knew ahead of time the event would not sell out - which is why it didn't go to a venue like T-Mobile, which holds 20K.
      They didn't fight at the Tmobile Arena because it was already booked by the Vegas Golden Knights, an NHL team...

Comment

Originally posted by lieutenant View Post
        They didn't fight at the Tmobile Arena because it was already booked by the Vegas Golden Knights, an NHL team...
        I'm not talking about the same night, I'm talking about going there in general, on any date.

Comment

Originally posted by Curt Henning View Post
          so aj/wlad sold 90k tickets and did 11 million live gate? they were only able to squeeze out an extra 3 million out of those other 80k tickets? lol
          But they got 80k more people entertained and consuming there.

Comment

Originally posted by Clubber Pac View Post
            This article is misleading.

The Jacobs fight was in May, this fight was in November, Cinco De Mayo is a much bigger boxing weekend, way more people in town, and that fight only made $500,000 more? That's actually a compliment to Canelo, the fact that it was late in the year on an odd weekend for massive boxing events is impressive.

But you can't ignore that Canelo needs a box office type opponent, which clearly is Charlo at this point.

He fights Charlo in May, it will sell out, people will pay top dollars for tickets, the gate will be more like $15 to $20 million
            Here's a fun fact. Mayweather-Berto sold over 13,400 tickets and did a gate close to $10 million - which everyone at the time said was a huge disappointment.

Comment

Same thing happened after pac and my fought. There was a decline in ticket and ppv sales. Just like canelo and golovkin. It only seems natural tbh

Comment

Originally posted by Vodkaholic View Post
                Same thing happened after pac and my fought. There was a decline in ticket and ppv sales. Just like canelo and golovkin. It only seems natural tbh
                I actually think it's because there is no real promotion for these fights. DAZN bases everything around social media and obviously that ain't working. When HBO had a major fight, you knew it was a major fight. Half my friends had no idea when or where Canelo was fighting until the week of the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                  I actually think it's because there is no real promotion for these fights. DAZN bases everything around social media and obviously that ain't working. When HBO had a major fight, you knew it was a major fight. Half my friends had no idea when or where Canelo was fighting until the week of the fight.
                  ...but Canelo just sold 8m+?

Comment

Originally posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
                    You have no idea what you're talking about. They have spent a fortune already on building their brand. They are seeking 500 million in funding because the overall owner is no longer willing to spend his own money to bankroll it.

There is no value for any company to "overspend" which DAZN themselves admits has not been helpful for them because everyone is now looking for big money.

Chavez Jr is getting $6 million for Jacobs, who is getting more than that obviously. They are pissing money away.

And what does Andy Ruiz have to do with anything? He's a PBC fighter and heading back to Fox or Showtime - win or lose against Joshua.
                    Yeah yeah we heard it all before, ''Haymon overspent...'' and look where we are now. Whom are the next gen of PBC fighters to carry Haymon's business? If you say PBC is doing well, then so is DAZN. Canelo is the commodity. Realistically as tech gets better each year I think Canelo is underpaid! DAZN's back catalog keeps growing.

And regarding Ruiz Jr., buys for AJ Rematch mean much?

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                      Here's a fun fact. Mayweather-Berto sold over 13,400 tickets and did a gate close to $10 million - which everyone at the time said was a huge disappointment.
                      It was Mayweather's retirement fight and the 49-0 close-out with Marciano's name dragged into it. If you were a diehard FLoyd fan that was your last chance to see him fight live...

Comment

Working...
                      X