Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does NSB impact your rooting interests?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
    This is so much the truth. Every time I meet a fellow boxing fan IRL the common interest is the overiding factor regardless of their opinions on who won which fight or who their favourite fighters are. I think the differences become magnified on NSB for some reason..maybe it's just cos dudes like to squabble about ish online, cos all other male dominated forums seem to show the same patterns.
    Definitely a guy thing. It's inherent to being a male. As far as I know, biiitches are too busy on instagram posting selfies, and males are on forums talking shiii lol

Also, it sucks that no one really watches boxing. I was dying to talk about the Ruiz Jr upset with anyone, yet the few homies that are at best casuals didn't have enough knowledge about the whole event, and its repercussions to have any kind of meaningful dialogue and offered little substance.

Comment

I want to see more "May-Mac" type cross-over matchups.

Conor McGregor vs Paulie Malignaggi gets at least 500,000 PPV buys

Francis N'Gannou vs Dominic Breazeale

Cecilia Brækhus - Holly Holm or Cris Cyborg

Claressa Shields vs Amanda Nunes

Jorge Masvidal vs Julio Cesar Chavez Jr

Comment

…. I think the differences become magnified on NSB for some reason..maybe it's just cos dudes like to squabble about ish online, cos all other male dominated forums seem to show the same patterns.
        Originally posted by Lion81 View Post
        I would say certain outcomes would make for a hilarious Sunday and Monday on NSB. So I would laugh if a certain fighter lost, only to poke fun at the fan base. But I wouldn't necessarily root for or against. Every boxer has his fans/trolls. Canelo/Mayweather/GGG/Wilder/Joshua. They all have their brigade. So what?

It's all fun and games anyway so overall no, it doesn't influence me.

I love to troll fan bases here, but the truth is most all of us would get along in person and relish the opportunity to talk boxing with someone seeing as it's such a niche sport. It's incredibly rare to find boxing fans these days.
        So my final point is to not let boxingscene's trolls influence who you root for.
        Originally posted by Socialtwinkie View Post
        NSB makes me lose faith in humanity.
        I watch boxing for the sport. I personally dont care who wins. Yeah I have my favorite fighters but all I care is to see a good fight. They win they win. They lose they lose. That's how it works.

But all these pathetic people living vicariously through their favorite boxers and acting like they actually care for them is pathetic.
        Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
        Nothing on this board influences which fighters I root for. I do root for the American fighter in a big nationalistic match up like Wilder/AJ even though I am not necessarily a wilder fan. I definitely over celebrated when Ruiz beat AJ.
        I do like to troll and piss on certain groups of fans when they get delusional or act ridiculous.
        Originally posted by ShaneMosleySr View Post
        Here’s my list of rooting interests I believe have been completely influenced by posters and threads on NSB...
        …..What are some of your rooting interests that have been impacted by your fellow posters???
        Wow, I suppose I am in the minority but if I'm to be completely transparent, I totally see where you are coming from, and it's somewhat of a shame, albeit no surprise. Personally, I don't really engage in those debates and will just respect any expressed opinion. In fact, for $10 bucks and a steak dinner, I'll cosign whatever opinion you want me to. They ain't offending me one bit, no matter how high they rate Wilder, or piss on Lomachacha. It ain't that heavy.

I mean I get it, it's the anonymous nature of the internet that breeds the negativity and often reflects less-than-best versions of humanity. It's generally not the same quality of communication we receive IRL. Trolling, and this trendy, clever, obscene, profane, 'sexy' banter, has become acceptable, normal, or even expected, today. Most people don't even mind admitting they enjoy a bit of Troll-trope in their soup. However admirable that honesty is, it's basically indicative of the society that social media has created. I can't even say it's "youth" related, because I heard most of these guys on here are close to, or over 30 years old.

The disturbing part, again, is that so many are just desensitized to it and feel it's completely fine or even fun to "troll", degrade, mock, taunt and profane anyone who disagrees with them.
        I know the common response is that it's because some fans "deserve" it, with their "delusional and/or obnoxious fandom".
        I just wrote a post yesterday, that I see the same thing with the LeBron James debate. Guys justify their trolling of other fans (often with outrage), because certain fans "refuse to see past their bias and blind worshipping".
        "My fandom is okay but yours is delusional because it goes against mine", or "He started it with his delusional opinion, so I'm just giving him what he deserves". These are the thought processes.

At the end of the day I hear you, but I hope you are being somewhat facetious (guessing you are), or exaggerating, regarding how much "NSB content has impacted your boxing rooting interests". You basically have made your point, and I don't have to point out any of the tribal-like, fandom arguments that you may have left out.
        Bias exists. Unwavering "tribal" support for fighters will always exist, and evidently internet "trolling" is here to stay.

Sure it would be nice if people just admitted their lack of objectivity and differentiated between trash-talk opinions and 'keeping it real'. That's not going to happen on social media, and especially not on BoxingScene.com where the freedom of speech and liberty to be immature, ingenuous, and provocative is unmatched amongst legitimate public forums. That type of freedom-to-express is a good thing, and generally, shouldn't be suppressed.
        The best we can do (if not into the troll game), is either ignore it altogether, or assign it some entertainment value and observe from a distance, not being affected by it.

I realize that's often easier said than done, but it's better than becoming jaded and allowing it to contaminate or corrupt 50% of the boxing interests we root for. I appreciate what you are saying but as you can see, most don't give a rip, and I doubt that will ever change.
        Boxing is a different sport, in that I rarely can find a friend who cares to discuss it, or even knows enough about it to discuss it. The knowledge, passion, and willingness to share all things boxing, is a blessing to find in this forum. I guess we have to take the nonsense that comes with it. Overall, I try to eat the meat, spit out the bones, and avoid throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Other than that, I agree Billy Joe Saunders is a big talent, but he's a no-good, filthy, piece of.... Haha. Nah, J/K. I know he's a decent fighter, but I also know why people don't like him. His behavior out of the ring is reportedly very distasteful and unbecoming. I'd like to see David Benavidez beat em up.
        Anyhow, I think your thread does bring up a valid point and I hope the responses lend some more perspective. I may even throw you some green.

Peace.

Edit: Changed 'your' in 1st paragraph, to 'any expressed', as it may have sounded like it was directed toward a specific opinion. I meant 'your' as in, anytime an opinion is expressed, I've no problem just accepting it or leaving it alone.
        Last edited by CauliflowerEars; 06-13-2019, 04:24 PM. Reason: changed 'your' to 'any expressed', as it sounded like I was directing that toward a specific opinion

Comment

none whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by DaNeutral. View Post
            Nothing. Nothing that happens on these boards influences who i like, who i dislike and who i like to see do well or badly.
            This. In fact I think most of the people here rooting for & against mfers, promoters & platforms too hard are borderline r3tards. It certainly shows mfers who are too caught up in emotional bs & other things that shouldn't matter.

In fact its funny I was telling mfers here Joshua was highly beatable & the Wilder fanboys were with me & the Joshua fanboys were against me. And now that Joshua got beat the Wilder fanboys are against me & the Joshua fanboys are with me cuz I'm saying Joshua isn't done.

Comment

Originally posted by CauliflowerEars View Post
              Wow, I suppose I am in the minority but if I'm to be completely transparent, I totally see where you are coming from, and it's somewhat of a shame, albeit no surprise. Personally, I don't really engage in those debates and will just respect your opinion. In fact, for $10 bucks and a steak dinner, I'll cosign whatever opinion you want me to. They ain't offending me one bit, no matter how high they rate Wilder, or piss on Lomachacha. It ain't that heavy.

I mean I get it, it's the anonymous nature of the internet that breeds the negativity and often reflects less-than-best versions of humanity. It's generally not the same quality of communication we receive IRL. Trolling, and this trendy, clever, obscene, profane, 'sexy' banter, has become acceptable, normal, or even expected, today. Most people don't even mind admitting they enjoy a bit of Troll-trope in their soup. However admirable that honesty is, it's basically indicative of the society that social media has created. I can't even say it's "youth" related, because I heard most of these guys on here are close to, or over 30 years old.

The disturbing part, again, is that so many are just desensitized to it and feel it's completely fine or even fun to "troll", degrade, mock, taunt and profane anyone who disagrees with them.
              I know the common response is that it's because some fans "deserve" it, with their "delusional and/or obnoxious fandom".
              I just wrote a post yesterday, that I see the same thing with the LeBron James debate. Guys justify their trolling of other fans (often with outrage), because certain fans "refuse to see past their bias and blind worshipping".
              "My fandom is okay but yours is delusional because it goes against mine", or "He started it with his delusional opinion, so I'm just giving him what he deserves". These are the thought processes.

At the end of the day I hear you, but I hope you are being somewhat facetious (guessing you are), or exaggerating, regarding how much "NSB content has impacted your boxing rooting interests". You basically have made your point, and I don't have to point out any of the tribal-like, fandom arguments that you may have left out.
              Bias exists. Unwavering "tribal" support for fighters will always exist, and evidently internet "trolling" is here to stay.

Sure it would be nice if people just admitted their lack of objectivity and differentiated between trash-talk opinions and 'keeping it real'. That's not going to happen on social media, and especially not on BoxingScene.com where the freedom of speech and liberty to be immature, ingenuous, and provocative is unmatched amongst legitimate public forums. That type of freedom-to-express is a good thing, and generally, shouldn't be suppressed.
              The best we can do (if not into the troll game), is either ignore it altogether, or assign it some entertainment value and observe from a distance, not being affected by it.

I realize that's often easier said than done, but it's better than becoming jaded and allowing it to contaminate or corrupt 50% of the boxing interests we root for. I appreciate what you are saying but as you can see, most don't give a rip, and I doubt that will ever change.
              Boxing is a different sport, in that I rarely can find a friend who cares to discuss it, or even knows enough about it to discuss it. The knowledge, passion, and willingness to share all things boxing, is a blessing to find in this forum. I guess we have to take the nonsense that comes with it. Overall, I try to eat the meat, spit out the bones, and avoid throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Other than that, I agree Billy Joe Saunders is a big talent, but he's a no-good, filthy, piece of.... Haha. Nah, J/K. I know he's a decent fighter, but I also know why people don't like him. His behavior out of the ring is reportedly very distasteful and unbecoming. I'd like to see David Benavidez beat em up.
              Anyhow, I think your thread does bring up a valid point and I hope the responses lend some more perspective. I may even throw you some green.

Peace.
              Not quite sure I made clear that I was only agreeing with the Lion dude about the fact that boxing fans tend to get on a lot better IRL than you'd imagine from all the BS and vitriol you see slung about on the forum, not that I like trolling on guys whose fighter lost as he appears to.

In terms of my rooting interest I'm not sure what difference NSB makes at all... I do my level best not to get involved in the BS and treat everyone with courtesy and respect if I'm gonna talk to 'em at all, try to avoid slandering and casting slurs on fighters even if they ain't among my favourites and generally and genuinely want the best for all the guys (and girls) who compete in the sport at any level.

Only things that really irk me are all the promotional BS that stands in the way of making fights and the dudes on here that fanboy over stuff like that, but I don't in any way hold the fighters responsible for that ish or root against them as a consequence... fanboys gonna fanboy, y'know.

EDIT: That said I did LMFAO when Joshua got KTFO even though I wasn't rooting against him, but I also would have LMFAO if Wilder got spanked by a massive underdog or Fury gets beat by Schwarz... not because I dislike the fighters but because they should have been fighting each other, whoever you want to blame for that ish.
              Last edited by Citizen Koba; 06-13-2019, 04:06 PM.

Comment

Not quite sure I made clear that I was only agreeing with the Lion dude about the fact that boxing fans tend to get on a lot better IRL than you'd imagine from all the BS and vitriol you see slung about on the forum, not that I like trolling on guys whose fighter lost as he appears to.

In terms of my rooting interest I'm not sure what difference NSB makes at all... I do my level best not to get involved in the BS and treat everyone with courtesy and respect if I'm gonna talk to 'em at all, try to avoid slandering and casting slurs on fighters even if they ain't among my favourites and generally and genuinely want the best for all the guys (and girls) who compete in the sport at any level.

Only things that really irk me are all the promotional BS that stands in the way of making fights and the dudes on here that fanboy over stuff like that, but I don't in any way hold the fighters responsible for that ish or root against them as a consequence... fanboys gonna fanboy, y'know.

EDIT: That said I did LMFAO when Joshua got KTFO even though I wasn't rooting against him, but I also would have LMFAO if Wilder got spanked by a massive underdog or Fury gets beat by Schwarz... not because I dislike the fighters but because they should have been fighting each other, whoever you want to blame for that ish.
                Just an FYI, I did know, particularly from your past content, that you only agreed with the, IRL referral and not that you like any shade of trolling. I'm aware of your mature and level-headed approach to all things boxing.
                I also henceforth recognize you as equal opportunity annoyed at the politics and BS that prevents the proper fights from materializing.

Also to be clear, I only included the multiple quotes because my thoughts intersected with all of those, in some fashion or another. I referenced all those concepts, but my post was for, and directed throughout, to the OP. Not that I don't welcome any and all feedback.

Peace.

Comment

Working...
                X