Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who was better: Juan Manuel Marquez or Ricardo Lopez?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

marquez but lopez is great as well!!! Marquez has a better resume n more skills

Comment

Originally posted by El Gitano View Post
      I've never seen him fight but it seems Nacho believes Gilberto Roman was the best fighter her ever had, based on interviews I've seen on Mexican TV.

He died in a car accident at just 28 years old.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilberto_Rom%C3%A1n
      He rates Roman as his second best fighter behind Marquez. I've been lucky to meet Nacho a few times and he's more than happy to talk to fans and has a great boxing brain. I asked him who he felt was the fighter from Mexico and he said Marquez. Others he mentioned and rated very highly were Chavez, Zarate, Roman and Olivares. It seems he's very proud of Roman and holds him in such regard. Interestingly I asked what about Salvador Sanchez and he almost had contempt for Sanchez. He said he had poor technique and was on the way down when he passed which surprised the hell out of me.

Roman was excellent. So well schooled and often in fun fights. Read my post above this one for fights I recommend viewing. I'd say he's just outside the top 10 all-time Mexican fighters and probably Nacho's 3rd best (behind Finito and JMM).

Comment

Originally posted by chrisJS View Post
        Lopez was originally trained by Cuyo Hernandez who guided him as an amateur and to his title win in 1990 but passed away a year or two later. Nacho already took him on as a world champion just as Marquez was turning pro. Marquez is Nacho's finest work because he trained him from when he started boxing and was his coach for every amateur and pro bout. Obviously, Nacho really helped tighten Lopez up and made him a complete boxer puncher technician.

Regarding who's better? Marquez has a more storied career with better wins for sure. Skills I'd say Marquez perhaps didn't have Lopez power on a pound for pound scale (Lopez consistently knocked guys out and hurt them bad), but his offensive was flashier and even more versatile. Marquez was an expert counter puncher and threw better combinations, whereas Lopez had a better defense. They both had excellent footwork.

Both great fighters, but I'll go with Marquez on talent and certainly on career.

If you enjoy these styles and aren't familiar with Gilberto Roman I highly recommend checking his fights. I'd say after Marquez, that's perhaps Nacho's finest project and the original of the Beristain fighters to become a champion. He was an excellent technician with a really smooth style who often got into great fights. Watch his series with Santos Laciar (3 fights) or his title win against Jiro Watanabe. Great stuff.
        Great post! Had no idea about Finito's pre beristein trainer.

My 2 cents is this: both were terrifically skilled fighters, whereas Finito may have been more, how can I say this, perfect? I don't mean his record just his ability to throw those beautiful straight shots and keep away from bombs.

In terms of career, Marquez has simply had the better overall presencei n boxing, however question marks remain over both guys and what they COULD have done. Lopez oculd and maybe should have moved up while Marquez should not have turned down the Naz fight and fought both MAB and Morales, well fought the former earlier.

Two great fighters, JMM ranking higher in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
          Great post! Had no idea about Finito's pre beristein trainer.

My 2 cents is this: both were terrifically skilled fighters, whereas Finito may have been more, how can I say this, perfect? I don't mean his record just his ability to throw those beautiful straight shots and keep away from bombs.

In terms of career, Marquez has simply had the better overall presencei n boxing, however question marks remain over both guys and what they COULD have done. Lopez oculd and maybe should have moved up while Marquez should not have turned down the Naz fight and fought both MAB and Morales, well fought the former earlier.

Two great fighters, JMM ranking higher in my book.
          Lopez was completely neglected by Don King. Had he been with Top Rank or someone else he'd have been bigger and probably would have fought in higher divisions and made more money.

About the Marquez-Hamed fight. Well, Marquez was mandatory for 3 years and he had a broken hand and Hamed offered them the fight at about 30 days notice knowing he'd say no. Had Marquez not been injured he'd have taken the fight, schooled Hamed and would have probably been the next to defeat Barrera and the first to defeat Morales. Also, perhaps being frozen out for so long meant he had more in the tank after the Barrera-Morales trilogy hence his longer more distinguished career.

Comment

Lopez was completely neglected by Don King. Had he been with Top Rank or someone else he'd have been bigger and probably would have fought in higher divisions and made more money.

About the Marquez-Hamed fight. Well, Marquez was mandatory for 3 years and he had a broken hand and Hamed offered them the fight at about 30 days notice knowing he'd say no. Had Marquez not been injured he'd have taken the fight, schooled Hamed and would have probably been the next to defeat Barrera and the first to defeat Morales. Also, perhaps being frozen out for so long meant he had more in the tank after the Barrera-Morales trilogy hence his longer more distinguished career.
            I don't think Marquez was mando for 3 years. In fact, he didn't reach true world class level until late 98 and eventually in 99 he had his first world title hsot, which he lost. Around about that time, Marquez turned down a mando shot at Nas. That's the plain facts of the situation. The rest is conjecture.

Comment

I don't think Marquez was mando for 3 years. In fact, he didn't reach true world class level until late 98 and eventually in 99 he had his first world title hsot, which he lost. Around about that time, Marquez turned down a mando shot at Nas. That's the plain facts of the situation. The rest is conjecture.
              He was the #1 WBO contender in 1998. His team even went to Puerto Rico to the WBO to force the fight. Manny Steward admitted that he purposely ducked a Marquez fight.

Comment

He was the #1 WBO contender in 1998. His team even went to Puerto Rico to the WBO to force the fight. Manny Steward admitted that he purposely ducked a Marquez fight.
                The mando was enforced and Marquez turnedi t down.

Also, as I stated, Marquez didnt make is way into world class circles till 1998, and you stating him becoming mando in that year fits what I said. Hamed continued to defend the wbo belt and won the wbc. Marquez lost his shot at he wba. So when was the fight supposed to happen?

Comment

The mando was enforced and Marquez turnedi t down.

Also, as I stated, Marquez didnt make is way into world class circles till 1998, and you stating him becoming mando in that year fits what I said. Hamed continued to defend the wbo belt and won the wbc. Marquez lost his shot at he wba. So when was the fight supposed to happen?
                  Marquez got robbed against Norwood for the WBA. I think the window was in 2000 since he fought Barrera in 2001. They "offered" the fight but it was at about 3 weeks notice whilst Marquez was nursing a hand injury. All hypothetical but Marquez was good enough to beat Hamed in 98, 99 whilst Hamed was on top. They drew the process out on the fight. Hamed's style would have been perfect for Marquez at any point.

Marquez had a hard path littered with politics to the title. In 2001 he was supposed to face Gainer for the WBA and Gainer pulled out fight week.

Comment

Working...
                  X