No announcement yet.

Rock is f>cking dead

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock is f>cking dead

To be honest it probably died out when Cobain died. It's long gone now. All these pop rock bubble gum boys. I actually have a friend in the record industry. He said that they don't want bands to be big and famous. They just want one hit wonders. So then they have control.

Originally posted by Josh knight View Post
    To be honest it probably died out when Cobain died. It's long gone now. All these pop rock bubble gum boys. I actually have a friend in the record industry. He said that they don't want bands to be big and famous. They just want one hit wonders. So then they have control.
    I work in the music industry and there's a real of truth to that.

It's a lot to do with proper bands needing to be built on credibility, which means time to develop on their own and let it grow organically to a certain degree. Also, the album is less important than it used to be seeing as everyone can pick and choose what songs they want from iTunes or streaming services. So now the emphasis is on having a hit that gets streamed a lot on Youtube, Apple Music, Spotify etc..

Essentially it's much cheaper to get in a pop singer/dancer, provide them with a song written by a writer to have basically employed, make the right video and just push it online.

What will usually happen is they get songs provided by songwriters, the record company will take a cut of the publishing and royalties and they will also make sure the artist gets a writing credit on the song, even if they didn't do anything which is usually the case, but they have the songwriters over a barrel because they know there's still a lot of money in it for them if the song gets to the right singer, even if it means giving up a big % of the royalties. It's much harder to do this with bands, because they're usually writing their own material.

So yeah, it's about control and keeping as much money in-house as possible. It's also just about the ease of being able to offer a product to turn a quick profit in the current climate where there simply isn't as much money in the industry due to the internet and streaming and whatnot. It's much easier to turn over a quick profit with a two-bit singer/dancer puppet than it is to let a band develop, less risk too.

Comment

Dude I thought you The Rock. I was sad for a mfing rough second there.

Comment

Rock music basically sucks now. It has grown stale.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          lmao!!! so did I

I dropped a manly tear for a second

Comment

Virtually all music genres have turned into pop.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
              Lol me too. I was like this phaggots prob trolling

Comment

Originally posted by Derranged View Post
                Virtually all music genres have turned into pop.
                Yeah. You can't even listen to the radio anymore, the same songs are on every block.

Comment

as long as we have QOTSA, arctic monkeys, the black keys, wolfmother then i'm good.

that new QOTSA album is going to be awesome, it's like a follow-up to Them Crooked Vultures.

Comment

Originally posted by baya View Post
                    as long as we have QOTSA, arctic monkeys, the black keys, wolfmother then i'm good.

that new QOTSA album is going to be awesome, it's like a follow-up to Them Crooked Vultures.
                    I am looking forward to the Villains album but arctic monkeys and the black keys haven't made an album in forever and doesn't look like they will any time soon. Rock is looking pretty bad overall but there are some glimmers of hope here and there. Foo Fighters might release a new album soon.

Comment

Working...
                    X