Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Training & Nutrition

Old 04-07-2010, 01:08 AM #1
Knuckles Up

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Equilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond reputeEquilibrium has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,005.00
Total Points: 9,466.00
Thanks for your help! - Bendigo On Me! - Izrock I'm sick of the fangirls. You a real boxing fan bro - mangler 2k posts man - you are one of the very best on here - you need to post more - Dan... the point giver thanks thee for the incredible generosity - the point giver 
parallelogram sa inyo - Jack Napier early xmas present - jazluvr thread contribution and for after your wake and bake! - HUGH JASS 
Default Am i the only one who prefers hitting the bag with small gloves?

When i first started boxing my first trainer always told me it was better to hit the bag with smaller "mitt" like gloves so you can feel your punches better, and i did for the better part of my years boxing and it always worked well for me.

Then i took a hiatus from boxing and when i came back i bought some big 16oz bag gloves and i don't remember why. That was 3 years ago, since then i bought a couple of other pairs and to be honest they were alright at best.

My main problem is that with big bag gloves i can never seem to make a complete fist and i don't really land on the bag with my knuckles and it always felt like it messed up my technique.

Recently i went back to mitts and man, wtf was i doing for the past 3 years. I can finally land my punches directly with my knuckles and i feel every punches.

For those who don't know the difference.

Typical bag gloves:

Mitt type bag gloves:

What do you guys think, am i the only one?
Equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 04-07-2010, 01:33 AM #2
The Great John L.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Spartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond reputeSpartacus Sully has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,000.00
Total Points: 15,361.00
u da man .... thx 4 da castillo corrales cap - -Boxzilla- king of da 720p thread ... - -Boxzilla- No Message - -Boxzilla- No Message - -Boxzilla- No Message - -Boxzilla- 
Castillo Correles 720p...yeeaaa - Training4all 26 Gb!!...wow!!..nice work bro!! - Training4all ur good people ylem ... 720p homey - -Boxzilla- For setting Piggy straight, good stuff - Cuauhtémoc1502 Top top poster - rorymac 
Cheers! - Uncle Howie lite beer ... rookie! :D lol - I ♥ RVP demonoid - ƒallenloki Merry Christmas - Flab ...and a Happy New Year! - Flab 
Here's a lolli for EASTER :) - Bossy Nice looking beard :fing02: my brother has one similar to yours, that mofo takes care of that thing more than he takes care of his wife lol - -jose- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
When i first started boxing my first trainer always told me it was better to hit the bag with smaller "mitt" like gloves so you can feel your punches better, and i did for the better part of my years boxing and it always worked well for me.

Then i took a hiatus from boxing and when i came back i bought some big 16oz bag gloves and i don't remember why. That was 3 years ago, since then i bought a couple of other pairs and to be honest they were alright at best.

My main problem is that with big bag gloves i can never seem to make a complete fist and i don't really land on the bag with my knuckles and it always felt like it messed up my technique.

Recently i went back to mitts and man, wtf was i doing for the past 3 years. I can finally land my punches directly with my knuckles and i feel every punches.

For those who don't know the difference.

Typical bag gloves:

Mitt type bag gloves:

What do you guys think, am i the only one?
I use these

Image View Removed. Please Click Here.

but i still use 16 oz gloves. like if im going 3 rds on the bag for cardio ill use my 16 oz where as if im trying to improving the speed and power of my punches i use the smaller ones.
Spartacus Sully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:32 AM #3

Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Clegg has a reputation beyond reputeClegg has a reputation beyond reputeClegg has a reputation beyond reputeClegg has a reputation beyond reputeClegg has a reputation beyond reputeClegg has a reputation beyond reputeClegg has a reputation beyond reputeClegg has a reputation beyond reputeClegg has a reputation beyond reputeClegg has a reputation beyond reputeClegg has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,035.53
Total Points: 35,078.72
FREE RiZO! - Carlton Banks MMM-My Sharona! - RiZО Have an apple Clegg - danc1984 Yank food is good - mangler jr Chunk cake - It's part of your 5 a day! - Chunk 
Coffee Is Professional - Loccy To make up for that soggy one. - Raider Monkz mhh Alizee is moi lolita &amp;lt;3 - cleaner147 Professional Cookie - Loccy super clegg - Old Coward 
No Message - -veteran420- with love - -veteran420- Merry Christmas - Flab Happy new year! - Toney Loc yum yum pot noodle - Mike_Hunt 
super e-baller - MANIAC310 Well deserved, never saw you at history section - HaglerSteelChin It sounds like you need one, LOL - HaglerSteelChin Have some more - HaglerSteelChin Good Man - JimRaynor 
Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - mangler Gay and Lesbian Pride - The Scientist Gay and Lesbian Pride - RiΖΟ Graves Disease - Lymphedema - Men's Health - Pro Choice - Prostate Cancer - Scleroderma - Thyroid Disease - Trisomy 18 - PensionKiller Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy 
Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Loccy Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Loccy Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Loccy 
Childhood Cancer - MANGLER Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - MANGLER Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr Gay and Lesbian Pride - jazluvr Head and Neck Cancer - LeeVanCleef 

I used the title gels (haven't been boxing for ages) and preferred them.

You're right about not being able to make as much of a fist, but I found that when using the smaller mitts my hands and wrists would be sore for days afterwards. This is probably because I have ****ty joints to begin with, though I like to tell myself that it's because I punch as hard as Julian Jackson
Image View Removed. Please Click Here.
Clegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:30 AM #4
Interim Champion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Pork Chop has a reputation beyond reputePork Chop has a reputation beyond reputePork Chop has a reputation beyond reputePork Chop has a reputation beyond reputePork Chop has a reputation beyond reputePork Chop has a reputation beyond reputePork Chop has a reputation beyond reputePork Chop has a reputation beyond reputePork Chop has a reputation beyond reputePork Chop has a reputation beyond reputePork Chop has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 6,774.00
Send a message via AIM to Pork Chop

Equilibrium
you're not the only one
i've got a pair of weighted bag mitts from title and i'd use them more if the ink didn't bleed into my hands.
even when i use super bag gloves, i tend to go for smaller sizes so i can feel the punches a bit better.
not a fan of jumbo gloves on the bag, they mess up my form too.
Pork Chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:35 AM #5
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1786 Post(s)
SplitSecond has a reputation beyond reputeSplitSecond has a reputation beyond reputeSplitSecond has a reputation beyond reputeSplitSecond has a reputation beyond reputeSplitSecond has a reputation beyond reputeSplitSecond has a reputation beyond reputeSplitSecond has a reputation beyond reputeSplitSecond has a reputation beyond reputeSplitSecond has a reputation beyond reputeSplitSecond has a reputation beyond reputeSplitSecond has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,020.15
Total Points: 26,171.83
have a blue parallelogram - Jack Napier For solid posting - The Surgeon lol - -jose- Suck on this d@ck prick - Boxing Goat 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - McGoorty Aphasia - Asthma/Allergies - Brain Cancer - Brain Tumors - Diabetes - Mental Illness - sugarsmosley 

i've always used nothing but the mitt gloves, you feel damn powerful getting the shock running down your arm
great stuff
SplitSecond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:08 PM #6
Interim Champion

Chip2006uk has a reputation beyond reputeChip2006uk has a reputation beyond reputeChip2006uk has a reputation beyond reputeChip2006uk has a reputation beyond reputeChip2006uk has a reputation beyond reputeChip2006uk has a reputation beyond reputeChip2006uk has a reputation beyond reputeChip2006uk has a reputation beyond reputeChip2006uk has a reputation beyond reputeChip2006uk has a reputation beyond reputeChip2006uk has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 6,775.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashis Clay View Post
i've always used nothing but the mitt gloves, you feel damn powerful getting the shock running down your arm
great stuff
Yeah I love and hate that feeling from mitt gloves, feels like your punches are more powerful but you know that its doing your joints some damage. My hands and wrists get kinda sore after a session with mitts.

I like to use 10oz gloves, you can still feel the punches but there's more protection there
Chip2006uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:52 PM #7
Coach/Boxer/TheSport

kbpoetree has a reputation beyond reputekbpoetree has a reputation beyond reputekbpoetree has a reputation beyond reputekbpoetree has a reputation beyond reputekbpoetree has a reputation beyond reputekbpoetree has a reputation beyond reputekbpoetree has a reputation beyond reputekbpoetree has a reputation beyond reputekbpoetree has a reputation beyond reputekbpoetree has a reputation beyond reputekbpoetree has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 13,599.00
Hey man you short on e-gifts...start yo collection - BritishBoxing92 to help you stay up for the big fights! - jazluvr 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - BritishBoxing92 Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - rorymac Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - rorymac Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - rorymac 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - rorymac 

i personally use 20oz gloves most the time on a bag till its closer to fight time then i will go to the 10oz gloves have used the mitts u speak of..but my feeling is those are so light and i would never fight w somethan that light in boxing so i dont wear em...when i work for speed i go from 20oz to 16oz to 10oz in a session
kbpoetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:58 PM #8
Banned

Capt.Underpants is infamous around these partsCapt.Underpants is infamous around these partsCapt.Underpants is infamous around these partsCapt.Underpants is infamous around these partsCapt.Underpants is infamous around these partsCapt.Underpants is infamous around these partsCapt.Underpants is infamous around these partsCapt.Underpants is infamous around these partsCapt.Underpants is infamous around these partsCapt.Underpants is infamous around these partsCapt.Underpants is infamous around these parts
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 162.00

Bag gloves are cool because you can throw super fast combos but its also a good and fast way to get arthritis.
Capt.Underpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:09 PM #9
Conveyor of Truth

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute#1Assassin has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,015.08
Total Points: 14,414.68
one of boxingscene's very worst posters - Freedom. one of boxingscene's very best posters - Barnburner What you said about Dempsey was real talk! - Atreyu Khalil you are one of THOSE terrible posters - Earl Hickey Eternal partnership,to MaryJane! - HughJass 
great advice in training forum - jas 

i do like the small ones since they make u feel like ernie ****ing shavers, at the same time they mess up my hands. ive been using mitt gloves still simply cuz thats what they provide at my gym and i havent been able to afford gloves of my own. once i do i will buy some bigger ones, its better for my hands and its easier to focus on using the bag correctly. sometimes i cant help throwing hard shots with the small ones, even though i know i should be focusing on other things. also the bigger ones help your speed, power and arm endurance.

if u are just messing around in the gym mitt gloves should be used, but if u are looking to compete get some otherones. thats just my opinion though.
#1Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 02:27 PM #10
Banned

EzzardFan has a spectacular aura aboutEzzardFan has a spectacular aura about
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 331.00

Best to use different gloves on different days. Variety aids progress and reduces the chances of injury. The most important gloves to hit the bag with are the gloves that you intend to fight it - obviously.

Once a week I use bare hands, unless I have broken skin. I try to stop before the skin breaks. Doing this thickens the skin.

Last edited by EzzardFan; 04-07-2010 at 02:29 PM.
EzzardFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
gloves?, hitting, prefers, small

User Tag List