Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

11 dead, multiple injured after mass shooting at Virginia Beach Municipal Center

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 11 dead, multiple injured after mass shooting at Virginia Beach Municipal Center

A disgruntled city employee opened fire at the Virginia Beach Municipal Center on Friday afternoon, killing 11 people before being shot dead by police, authorities said.

Six people, including a cop, were hospitalized in the shooting, which happened soon after 4 p.m., police officials said.

Responding police exchanged gunfire with the gunman, killing him, Virginia Beach police Chief Jim Cervera said.

The injured cop was saved by his bullet-proof vest, authorities said.

Police said the suspect was a longtime employee of the city’s Public Works Department.

“This is the most devastating day in the history of Virginia Beach,” Mayor Bobby Dwyer told reporters.

“The people involved are our friends, coworkers, neighbors and colleagues.”

Workers who were in the building described a terrifying scene, during which they barricaded themselves in their offices; some hid under their desks.

City employee Megan Blanton told the Virginia Pilot that her supervisor pushed her and fellow workers into an office and propped a desk against a door.

“It felt like forever,” Blanton told the newspaper.

“I never thought this would happen in my building,” Arthur Felton, an 18-year planning department employee, told the Pilot. “The people who were shot — I’m sure I know most of them.”

“This day will not define Virginia Beach,” Council member Aaron Rouse said at the news conference. “We will show the strength of our city.”

https://nypost.com/2019/05/31/shoote...ipal-building/

Why do we have to have this madness in our country?

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
      I often think what has changed in the last two decades that we see so many mass shootings that weren’t happening back when we had much more lenient gun laws around the nation. One of my theories is that we are too isolated with negativity. Especially for loners who do nothing but surf hateful websites all day long and seek attention and fame by going on killing sprees.

Comment

Also hidden mental issues and bullying have played a big part.

Comment

Imo too many gun laws.

If you have more lawful and legally trained gun owners, they would have a chance to shoot him before that many people get killed.

But noooooooo. Gun is bad (caveman voice)

Comment

He could had been living check to check . Lost his job and lost everything else in life. Probably said f it and went postal on his former job.

Comment

Time to play the game called is he white?

Comment

What's new? If we had a day without gun violence in America that would be news.

Comment

This thread led me to bunch of shooting videos on Youtbe and gore.com.

Is there uncut video for this?

9 year old girl killed an instructor in arizona and i cant find a raw video of that one.

Does anybody have it?

Comment

Are we the only country with shootings and murders?

Comment

Working...
                    X