No announcement yet.

Ibf to order brook vs. Spence on oct. 26

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibf to order brook vs. Spence on oct. 26

The IBF plans to order Kell Brook, who still hasn’t vacated his welterweight title, to begin negotiating with mandatory challenger Errol Spence Jr. on Oct. 26, IBF championships chairman Lindsey E. Tucker told ******.com on Monday.

It’s one of a number of possible scenarios that could involve Brook, who had surgery last month to repair a broken orbital bone in his right eye socket after his knockout loss to Gennady Golovkin on Sept. 10. The camps would have 30 days to negotiate; if a deal can’t be reached a purse bid would be ordered.

Brook promoter Eddie Hearn hasn’t yet indicated to the IBF what he plans to do. Brook (36-1, 25 knockouts) suggested after the loss at 160 pounds he plans to campaign at junior middleweight, though nothing formal has been announced, leaving the IBF (and fans) to wonder of his intentions. Hearn didn’t immediately return an email for comment.

“We’ve heard a lot of rumors,” Tucker told RING. “But on Oct. 26, we’re scheduled to notify Brook to start negotiation with Errol Spence. Now a couple of things could happen. He could say he’s giving up the title to move up in weight. He could come up and say that he suffered from an eye injury and he needs some additional time, so we could give him a medical extension. But we won’t know unless they come to us and say we’re giving up the title — we won’t know anything before then.”

Tucker added of the various rumors that have swirled: “At one point, we heard he was going to move up to junior middleweight and the next thing we heard he was going to stay at welterweight. So we don’t know what’s going on.”

The highly regarded Spence (21-0, 18 KOs) is Brook’s mandatory after he dismantled and stopped Leonard Bundu in six rounds on Aug. 21, nearly knocking him through the ropes in Coney Island. Spence called out Brook afterward, asking him to drop out of his scheduled match with Golovkin and fight him instead.

https://goo.gl/CdIx4a

He will vacate Brook need to heal and he will probably stay at 154.

Comment

Kell will leave welter. Not that I don't think it would be a competitive fight. Only that he's scared to death of losing twice in a row. His next two fights will be garbage, like after he won the title.

Comment

If Brook drops the belt (he probably will), then Spence vs that foreign guy with a 23-0 record will be for the vacant title, according to another article I read.

Comment

They've just made Brook mind up for him i guess.

Comment

Watch the bum vacate since its his first live body mando. Errol send that boy back to ER for good son.

Comment

Brook has been pretty adamant he'd move to 154 unless there's a Khan fight on the table.

I feel Brook beats Spence but the fight is unlikely.

Comment

Last I checked, Brook has no intention of returning to welterweight. He expressed interest in campaigning at 154lbs, with his debut possibly being against Canelo.

Comment

Kell Brook would knock Errol Spence, Jr. out. I don't see any other outcome.

Comment

I think they will start negotiations and it will drag out, until Kell either heals up properly, and/or they secure a title shot immediately at 154,

If he isn't healed up and ready to fight a champ at 154, i can't see him dropping it.

Comment

Working...
                    X