Is Mike Tyson the real PPV king?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bluebeam View Post
    dumbest thread I ever saw.

mayweather has sold more ppv's than any fighter ever. that is a fact.

but Tyson is the ppv king.

i see facts no longer count

im a huge Tyson fan, but facts are facts
    The point is Floyd needs a viable opponent. Tyson can fight anyone and have astronomical numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cyclone View Post
      Mike Tyson was actually entertaining to watch though bit of an unfair comparison one guy puts on the worst PPV events and the other puts on what you expect from a fighter he gots balls out and treats it like a fight win or loss he goes to try and KO fools compared to Ima twinkle toe around my opponent clinch him, forearm him and complain to the ref "Kenny, tell him to stop it "
      Assuming you mean Tyson puts on what you would expect, I don't think Tyson's PPVs were anything to write home about in general.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
        The 3 largest PPV's all have Floyd in them. Floyd has generated more money in PPV sales and sold more units than Mike. Yet the TS is unsure who the bigger star is.

I thought NSB would get better threads once Floyd retired. Sadly, we get the same silly repetitive threads.

I wish the TS had been a man and just created an honest thread- "I hate that Floyd is a bigger PPV star than Tyson, do you as well?" This way any and all of those who share his feelings could post.
        Tyson was of course a bigger star than Mayweather. Of course he was.

Mayweather also out did Ali in PPV numbers, does that mean he was a bigger star? Or Leonard too.

No it doesn't. Just different eras, and Floyd is the star of this era.

Comment

Originally posted by tank17211 View Post
          The point is Floyd needs a viable opponent. Tyson can fight anyone and have astronomical numbers.

does that change the FACTS of who sold the most ppv?

the answer is no.

and Tyson is my guy. he brought me to boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by BrometheusBob View Post
            80s-90s Tyson could sell almost any fight man.

Hard to compare the time periods directly. Social media makes promoting a different game than it was for virtually all of Tyson's significant fights. Tyson/Holyfield and Tyson/Lewis would have sold more I think if they had occurred later. Mayweather/Pacquiao, May/ODLH, May/Canelo etc wouldn't have sold as many as they did in earlier years. But how would they really compare to each other when normalized? I have no idea.

Still, I think it's hard to argue against Mayweather's success.
            Watching a fight in the 80s/90s was totally different than today. You went to a bar or someones house for a huge party. If a tyson fight sold 2 million you can bet there were about a dozen people for every buy. I dont remember ever being at my or someones house with just a few friends. Boxing just doesn't have the same demand. Now if you are a fan you order the fight and maybe a few friends who are casual fans help out.

Comment

If social media and PPV existed the way it does today in Tyson's era, he would easily match or beat Floyd's numbers.

Can you imagine what a Mike Tyson vs. Klitschko PPV would gross worldwide?

Comment

Doesn't Floyd have the top 4 ppv's?

Comment

Numbers dont lie.

Comment

That's like comparing Rakim to 50cent. Yes 50 sold more records but Rakim is a legend.

Comment

Originally posted by bluebeam View Post
                      dumbest thread I ever saw.

mayweather has sold more ppv's than any fighter ever. that is a fact.

but Tyson is the ppv king.

i see facts no longer count

im a huge Tyson fan, but facts are facts
                      wow you obviously missed the point, im not even that big of a tyson fan and i can see that if someone is doing 1million + ppvs fighting nobodies, compared to a guy who fights boxers with the biggest fan base to get high ppvs and when he fights nobodies his ppv is not good anymore. Tysons name holds more strength in ppv than mayweathers name. simple...

Comment

Working...
                      X