Collapse
No announcement yet.

Better careful selection of opponents?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better careful selection of opponents?

Floyd

vs Mosley after Mosley whopped Margarito who was considered the best WW
    vs DLH from Mayorga KO from layoff, allowing DLH the advantages, 154lbs
    vs Marquez who has given Manny fits, impressive vs Diaz and Casamayor
    vs Hatton who was undefeated and less softened up, good recent wins
    vs Castillo who was the best lightweight, big, strong and prime
    vs Corrales who was big, dangerous, prime, undefeated
    vs Judah who was faster, southpaw, but coming from Baldomir loss
    vs Baldomir who was the legit WW champion
    vs Ortiz after layoff, a legit top 3 WW, big win in previous, prime, big, fast, strong

Manny

vs Barrera who was at the time considered top 3-5 P4P
    vs Morales coming off of rough loss to Barrera in 3rd war who he lost to
    vs Marquez I who was coming off of a streak and Gainer win
    vs Morales II and III after losing to Raheem, stopping him twice
    vs Barrera II, coming off of the loss in rough fight to Marquez
    vs Marquez II, coming off of a string of good wins after Chris John loss
    vs David Diaz, a streaking belt holder
    vs DLH after Forbes tuneup and Mayweather loss
    vs Hatton after Mayweather KO, but decent Pauli win and rough Lazcano fight
    vs Cotto after Margarito beating and rough Clottey fight
    vs Clottey after rough Cotto and Judah fight
    vs Margarito after Mosley beat down and tuneup
    vs Mosley after Mayweather decision and rough Mora fight
    vs Marquez III after impressive Juan Diaz and Katsidis wins

Overall the names on paper look much better for Manny and guys like Barrera, Morales, Marquez, Hatton and DLH are all HOF bound. His list looks more extensive because of multiple fights of the same three mexican HOFers (8 total fights vs 3 fighters). He also gets accolades for fighting the guys who have been at the top of the WW scene for the past few years (Cotto, Clottey and Margarito).

Mayweather on the other hand has had a selection of opponents seemingly to fight them at the right times leading to money, bigger fights and title opportunities as opposed to just staying busy. Manny has consistently fought what has seemed to be the more challenging fights, while Floyd seems to have focused more on big money and fights that lead to bigger money. He does get some accolades for fighting guys seemingly when they are at their best (Corrales, Castillo, Ortiz this year, Hatton, Baldomir, Mosley coming off of impressive Margarito thrashing). However he has not seemingly seeked out fights that seemed the most dangerous (Cotto, Margarito, Clottey) when they were the top WWs at their best. Marquez probably isn't considered the most dangerous step, but then again he has given Manny fits because he has more boxing ability than most of Manny's opponents. If Manny struggles, I think that will may be emphasized more.

So I see Manny's career in two parts built off of the Mexican HOFers era (vs Barrera x2, Morales x3 and Marquez x2) and the WW era (DLH, Cotto, Clottey, Margarito). Mayweather's also in two parts off of the time where he took dangerous fights (Hernandez, Corrales, Castillo) and where he fought more for the business (Judah, DLH, Mosley). Ortiz is a step in the right direction reminiscent of the dangerous fights Floyd once took. Especially if followed by Manny or Martinez. But that's a big if.

Manny has consistently met the better challenges (albiet many duplicates and fighting similar styles) while I believe Floyd has fought the better variety without much of any duplication except for the Castillo rematch.

This fight just needs to happen. It's like when Tyson/Holyfield didn't happen before the Douglas and Bowe losses. Or when Lopez/Gamboa didn't happen before Salido loss and title stripping. When Tito/Vargas happened, it was because they struck while the iron was hot. Floyd and Manny have been fortunate to have a pretty hot iron for a while. Marquez who has Manny's number through boxing ability he seems to avoid as well as Ortiz who is young, strong, prime, fast and powerful could derail things for Floyd.

Assuming both men escape their respective fights, this will be the prime example of what boxing needs to do to get better. Stop politicking and make the fight happen!

i read your lists for both and i thought u were a floyd fan lol. u were basically speaking on floyds behalf. good pointing out floyd fought guys who were hot off wins. manny- mab was shot after first fight. morales wasnt the same for 2nd and 3rd fight.( yea he looked good against maidana but its a good styles fight morales is no where to what he was). jmm arguably won both fights. david diaz then left lightweight were nate campbell held 3/4 belts at the time. everything after that speaks for itself. dlh weight drained zombie. hatton was knocked out already and on drugs. cotto was a good win but cotto was also shot. mannys toughest opponent since jmm imo. clottey and marg fights were jokes i bet over a grand on manny in both they were taylor made if not fixed. mosley? lmfao

Comment

Working...
    X