Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ali-Foreman: Ali ahead on the score cards?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ali-Foreman: Ali ahead on the score cards?

This is a quote from the cover story currently on BoxingScene's opening page. -- All I can think is, really?

". . .But the next thing to come up will be Ali’s victory, and how he used the “rope-a-dope” strategy to wear Foreman out and then stop him. Again, no changes in the story, but most would assume that this means Ali took seven rounds of abuse before finishing Foreman in the eighth.

Not so fast.

According to the research done by Canobbio and Groves, not only was Ali in the fight before he ended it, but he was winning it on all three scorecards at the time of the knockout by scores of 68-66, 69-66 and 70-67."

--- Seen the Foreman and Ali scorecards changed many times over the years on boxrec. We know judges and ref to often to be incompetent or corrupt.

What we can conclude is obvious, Big George BTFO out of Ali and he struggled mightily thereafter while refusing the big money rematch.

Draw your own conclusions, but look what Wepner did to him in his next fight for peanuts.

Comment

Are you guys joking?

It's been 44 years and it's WELL KNOWN Ali was ahead in the fight at fights end. After round five Foreman was shot. He was expending too much energy trying to KO Ali. In other words he did not pace himself. This was Foreman pre 1975 ....he would typically go all out for the KO early. Most would crumble in this assault. Ali did not and the result is there all to see.

Comment

Wepner did nothing to Ali except absorb punishment. Chuck lasted until round 15. That's it. The KD? Wepner stepped on Alis foot. Again very well known and understood.

Comment

--- Wepner was advertised as a bartender that Big George stopped in some of his first fights as an Olympic prospect.

Wepner hit him with a Hundred+ looping rabbits that had Ali crying to the ref all night.

Ali a big hero of mine back in the day, but his best quickly faded and he stunk up the joint for too many years.

Comment

I met Wepner. Very very big fighter. Ali beat him up terribly that night. The only positive for Chuck was he lasted into round 15. Ali's second reign IS WHY he is rated as the greatest of all hwt champions.

Comment

--- Sorry, but I stopped drinking koolaide eons ago.

Comment

Stopped knowing anything about boxing also I assume.

Comment

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
                  Are you guys joking?

It's been 44 years and it's WELL KNOWN Ali was ahead in the fight at fights end. After round five Foreman was shot. He was expending too much energy trying to KO Ali. In other words he did not pace himself. This was Foreman pre 1975 ....he would typically go all out for the KO early. Most would crumble in this assault. Ali did not and the result is there all to see.
                  Exactly. Its crazy that so many people think Foreman was up and Ali made some miracle KO

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
                    Exactly. Its crazy that so many people think Foreman was up and Ali made some miracle KO
                    Yeah, most boxing fans in the know only remember it right though, that Ali was landing every round, with harder shots seeming to be landed with each round as Foreman tired and Ali used his speed advantage to land lead right, jabs and combos leading to the KO. The thing I always wondered myself was if it was really a KO, as Foreman seemed to get up before the count of 10 and the ref just stopping the fight. But watching it again just now, the commentator probably had the count wrong and instead of 8, it was probably 10 the ref reached just before Foreman staggered to his feet.

Comment

Working...
                    X