Frostbite 3 Supports DirectX 11.1 API

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [HOLY S**T!] Frostbite 3 Supports DirectX 11.1 API

Faster GPU/CPU Performance on PCs and Xbox One

Now this is the interesting bit, DICE confirms that the Frostbite 3 engine supports DirectX 11.1 API as revealed by DSOGaming.
    “We use DX11.1, there are some optimizations in it (constant buffer offsets, dynamic buffers as SRVs) that we got in to the the API that improves CPU performance in our rendering when one runs with DX11.1. This will be in BF4.”
    This means that PC and Xbox One versions of Battlefield 4 would be more optimized than PlayStation 4. There’s also a hint at AMD’s Next “Never Settle Bundle” featuring Battlefield 4 as a free title which is a good deal for AMD users.
    http://www.info-pc.info/2013/07/batt...tlelog-20.html

Originally posted by Roja's480 View Post
    Faster GPU/CPU Performance on PCs and Xbox One

http://www.info-pc.info/2013/07/batt...tlelog-20.html
    PS4 runs DX 11.1.

Sony hasn’t released much in the way of new details about the PlayStation 4 since its launch event last month. But at the Game Developer Conference this week Chris Norden, senior staff engineer at Sony, finally went into some more detail about the underlying hardware.

The PS4 sees Sony move to a 64-bit x86 chip architecture, which will be music to the ears of developers, especially those used to working on PC games. The good news doesn’t stop there, though. Developers will be able to take advantage of Microsoft’s latest industry standard DirectX API — DirectX 11.1, but Sony has taken the time to improve upon it, pushing the feature set beyond what is available for PC games development.

Those improvements include better shader pipeline access, improved debugging support features out the box, and much lower level access to the system hardware enabling developers to do “more cool things.” That’s achieved not only through an modified DirectX 11.1 API, but also a secondary low-level API specifically for the PS4 hardware.
    As well as having more control over the hardware, Norden explained that developers get complete control over the CPU, GPU, and RAM. That means the GPU isn’t just limited to handling graphics on the system, it can run arbitrary code. Developers also get to decide how to use/split the 8GB RAM between different tasks. There’s no predefined limits meaning there’s more headroom to experiment.

One area of the console that is sure to please gamers is the Blu-ray drive the PS4 will ship with. Not only does that ensure the console can double as a Blu-ray player just like the PS3 did, it’s also a 3x faster drive than in the PS3, which should help with install and game load times.

You may also remember Sony mentioned live streaming of games and recording of key gaming moments was a major feature of the PS4. Norden explained that was due to an extra chip being included in the system that will always contain the last few minutes of play. By doing that, Sony can handle live streaming automatically without impacting system performance, and gamers don’t have to remember to start recording when they think something memorable will happen. They instead just have to remember to save what the PS4 already recorded automatically.
    http://www.geek.com/games/sony-iimpr...u-ray-1544364/

Comment

nope Sony uses OpenGL, Microsoft Uses Direct X.

Read the comments on that article

Comment

Pc gaming sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by San Iker View Post
          I suck Pc gamers off.
          Still better than consoles lol

Comment

That just isn't true. While console gaming has been on the rise, PC gaming has been declining and that's not because PC gaming is better.

Comment

Originally posted by Own3d View Post
              That just isn't true. While console gaming has been on the rise, PC gaming has been declining and that's not because PC gaming is better.
              PC gaming still the same not declining although it is rising slightly recently because of how consoles disappointed. But i wont argue consoles are on the rise and they will be for a while since casuals are there biggest buyers. I went from PS2/Xbox to PC and don't regret it one bit. Although I did get an Xbox360 for my nephews it ended up costing me more money in the long run compared to PC. My nephews asked me if they can get Halo 3 again that **** old as **** and it cost 60 bucks still wtf. I sold the Xbox360 and built them an Entry level Gaming PC bought BF3 Premium with all expansion pack/DLC's for 20 bucks off of Origin, Now they will get free Beta Access to play BF4.

Main reason why i left console was upgradability and saving money in the long run.

Comment

PC gaming still the same not declining although it is rising slightly recently because of how consoles disappointed. But i wont argue consoles are on the rise and they will be for a while since casuals are there biggest buyers. I went from PS2/Xbox to PC and don't regret it one bit. Although I did get an Xbox360 for my nephews it ended up costing me more money in the long run compared to PC. My nephews asked me if they can get Halo 3 again that **** old as **** and it cost 60 bucks still wtf. I sold the Xbox360 and built them an Entry level Gaming PC bought BF3 Premium with all expansion pack/DLC's for 20 bucks off of Origin, Now they will get free Beta Access to play BF4.

Main reason why i left console was upgradability and saving money in the long run.
                I went from consoles to PC and back to consoles, i went back to consoles when the internet boom hit and everyone went online. As you say casual players buy consoles too and playing with my friends and family is a much better gaming experience for me. People can argue that PC has better graphics etc but what it really comes down to is which platform gives you the most pleasure when gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Own3d View Post
                  I went from consoles to PC and back to consoles, i went back to consoles when the internet boom hit and everyone went online. As you say casual players buy consoles too and playing with my friends and family is a much better gaming experience for me. People can argue that PC has better graphics etc but what it really comes down to is which platform gives you the most pleasure when gaming.
                  I don't know what type of PC you had but Mine does all that too. Unless you meant split screen cuz ya my PC doesn't do that but I have 4 gaming PC's so don't need too and when i go to friends LAN party i take my mini itx which right now acts like a bluray/dvd/cable..etc.

Comment

idk man. there's nothing in gaming like gathering up with friends playing FIFA. Not the Pc version of FIFA either. That version is ass

Comment

Working...
                    X