Collapse
No announcement yet.

B Hop or James Toney?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B-Hop's the greater fighter, but Toney was more fun to watch at his best. I think Toney was more naturally gifted but these two guys were totally different in that James was very talented but lacked discipline while Hopkins wasn't as gifted but unbelievably disciplined and always made the absolute most out of what he did have. If they fought prime for prime I gotta go with B-Hop in a close decision.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
      Toney stepped up to bigger and better opponents during his prime. His wins over Nunn, Jirov and Barkley were bigger than any of Hopkins wins. Hopkins biggest wins were against blown up WWs and Tarver.
      I think Hopkins is a loud mouth bully who lacks basic boxing skills.
      But that is beside the point.

You didn't answer my question. When was Toney in his prime?

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Steele View Post
        I think Hopkins is a loud mouth bully who lacks basic boxing skills.[/B]
        You think Hopkins lacked basic boxing skills? Please explain.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Steele View Post
          I think Hopkins is a loud mouth bully who lacks basic boxing skills.
          But that is beside the point.

You didn't answer my question. When was Toney in his prime?
          I'd say his prime was between 1991 - 2003.

Comment

B-Hop is the better technician. Better more varied jab, footwork, ring generalship. More facets, the more complete of the two.

Toney was kinda one-dimensional IMO relied heavily on guys taking the fight too him that is where he excelled - sitting on the ropes and countering when fighters didn't play ball that is when we hear these lack of dedication excuses.

Comment

Never cared for Bernard's style especially the "old" version.
              Toney is the last of the old school fighters who actually learned how to fight inside and maintain their position by pivots and step overs.
              The cross arm positioning that Mayweather uses is only half of that method/techniques from the past. Mayweather only throws a right jab and NEVER punches with his opponent.

I prefer watching Toney over Hopkins, Bernard to me is the most over rated contender and champion. As a middleweight he far over rated to me. The best Middleweight he fought beat him twice!
              Granted he was 40 yrs old when he lost these bouts but what great Middleweight did he ever fight?
              Half of his first 25 bouts were over the Middleweight limit and to me he fought better at 175 than at 160!

Toney had the tougher style to learn and was the tougher man.

Doc

Comment

I find Hopkins' style incredibly boring. He was truly the safety first, low output fighter that people wrongly accuse Floyd of being.

Plus he was quite dirty at times as well.

Still, he deserves major respect for having competed at a world class level for as long as he did.

Comment

Ho'kins specialized in shutting down his opponents' offenses. That makes it pretty boring for the viewer. During his career I got to the point where I preferred to read the results of his fights rather than watch them. But he was effective. Of course one has to consider the competition he shut down. He shut down more heralded fighters at 175. By that time I was reading his results.

Toney with corrected mentality would have been a wonder to behold, I suspect. He kind of was anyway. He must have an AT top 10 beard.

Comment

I think some of you may be underrating how smart B-Hop is in the ring. James Toney was a fighting mofo that was very effective with counterpunching, But hopkins tactics would have won him the fight imo.

Comment

Ho'kins would not have engaged with Toney. His goal would have been just the opposite. Peck from the outside, land the long right, tie him up inside until the ref intervenes. It is not fanciful thinking to imagine him being successful with those tactics against Lights Out.

Comment

Working...
                      X