No announcement yet.

Protien shakes whilst cutting.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NoLove View Post
    You dont need protein shakes. It's just another way to lose some money. If theres 20g of protein in a shake, just eat a piece of chicken or fish. I do a 60 minute run every day and dont take any kind of supplement apart from multivits. I just eat about 70 grams of protein when I get home from the gym.
    are you cutting calories?

while i agree that if your just exercising, the extra protien can be found elsewhere, and there isnt a need for that much.

as well if your just cutting, since your not exercising, you dont need as much protien.

but for some one exercising and cutting, theres a fine line of carbs and protien that you balance on in order to maintain proper recovery, proper hydration, proper blood sugar lvls, and decent energy lvls. A protien shake can be much more useful then a peice of chicken or fish for some one cutting while they maintain a workout schedule.
    Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 04-12-2012, 01:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus Sully View Post
      Shakes are probably one of the best things for cutting, its a low carb low fat source of protien. you will never find an equal source of protien for as few calories.
      I don't see how you can say that there is any significant difference when comparing a lean chicken breast to a protein shake. Also, your body will convert some of that protein (either form) into the carbs if you are cutting carbs, so neither have a benefit in terms of protein per calorie. You aren't saving yourself any calories (all other factors being equal).

A protien shake can be much more useful then a peice of chicken or fish for some one cutting while they maintain a workout schedule.
      How so? I've worked with several nutritionists and I can't imagine any of them them ever agreeing with something like this.
      Protein shakes can be convenient and they are great after a workout (when the body's digestion is poor and it needs fast protein uptake) but shakes are no sub for the unprocessed foods in your daily meals.

Comment

Originally posted by Slightly Dazed View Post
        I don't see how you can say that there is any significant difference when comparing a lean chicken breast to a protein shake. Also, your body will convert some of that protein (either form) into the carbs if you are cutting carbs, so neither have a benefit in terms of protein per calorie. You aren't saving yourself any calories (all other factors being equal).

How so? I've worked with several nutritionists and I can't imagine any of them them ever agreeing with something like this.
        Protein shakes can be convenient and they are great after a workout (when the body's digestion is poor and it needs fast protein uptake) but shakes are no sub for the unprocessed foods in your daily meals.

protien dosnt convert to carbs its glucose, and the process to convert protien to glucose is horribly inefficent compared to converting actual carbs to glucose.

the inefficeincy causes a lack in glucose, which can result in quick exhaustion. the lack in glucose also causes a lack in hydration and low blood sugar lvls. also relying on protien instead of carbs can result in a lack of protien effecting recovery.

thus your second argument is based on a false premise.

you need the carbs you need, the protien you need, and the fats you need, one cant be supplimented with another. all other factors are not equal.

as well after a work out, your body increases how much insulin it release to break down carbs, almost negating any diffrence between the breakdown of complex and simple carbs, there is no debilitating effect on digestion after a work out.

its actually prior and when starting a work out the digestion is poorest, thus the old addage dont go swimming for atleast 15 mins after you eat. your body has difficulty both digesting food and exercising resulting in cramps.

so for that reason protien prior to a work out is much better then after. and ontop of that reasoning taking protien prior to working out allows you a constat supply of protien while working out, inturn allowing you to maintain a anabolic state even when performing actions that break the muscle down.

wheather or not you work with nutritionalists, you are clearly not one and dont know much about how the body works.
        Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 04-12-2012, 02:16 AM.

Comment

protien dosnt convert to carbs its glucose, and the process to convert protien to glucose is horribly inefficent compared to converting actual carbs to glucose.

the inefficeincy causes a lack in glucose, which can result in quick exhaustion. the lack in glucose also causes a lack in hydration and low blood sugar lvls. also relying on protien instead of carbs can result in a lack of protien effecting recovery.

thus your second argument is based on a false premise.

you need the carbs you need, the protien you need, and the fats you need, one cant be supplimented with another. all other factors are not equal.

as well after a work out, your body increases how much insulin it release to break down carbs, almost negating any diffrence between the breakdown of complex and simple carbs.

as well, protien prior to a work out is much better then after, allowing you a constat supply of protien while working out, inturn allowing you to maintain a anabolic state even when performing actions that break the muscle down.

wheather or not you work with nutritionalists, you are clearly not one and dont know much about how the body works.
          You're playing fast and loose with the facts to support your dietary choices and I'm obviously not going to change your mind. You think glucose isn't a carbohydrate? That pretty much wraps up the argument for me...

Comment

are you cutting calories?

while i agree that if your just exercising, the extra protien can be found elsewhere, and there isnt a need for that much.

as well if your just cutting, since your not exercising, you dont need as much protien.

but for some one exercising and cutting, theres a fine line of carbs and protien that you balance on in order to maintain proper recovery, proper hydration, proper blood sugar lvls, and decent energy lvls. A protien shake can be much more useful then a peice of chicken or fish for some one cutting while they maintain a workout schedule.
            Yes, im cutting calories and excersising. Ive just never found the need to buy protein shakes. Every day I go running my legs and muscles feel fine with only protein from food. If I start to feel aches and paind then maybe ill start using shakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Slightly Dazed View Post
              You're playing fast and loose with the facts to support your dietary choices and I'm obviously not going to change your mind. You think glucose isn't a carbohydrate? That pretty much wraps up the argument for me...
              glucose is a carb, and so is bread, is protien converted to glucose or bread in the body?

please be less general in your statements, if you dont want them to be corrected.

Comment

Yes, im cutting calories and excersising. Ive just never found the need to buy protein shakes. Every day I go running my legs and muscles feel fine with only protein from food. If I start to feel aches and paind then maybe ill start using shakes.
                how many calories do you burn a day and how many do you cut?

or do you have no idea, and your just making this claim based that your losing weight?

though, as a note, if all you do is light jogging, and your performing a regular routine that dosnt put much stress on your muscles you could easily get by with only 8-10% of your caloric intake being protien.

carbs and fats are your fuel, and your muscles dont need much recovery.
                Last edited by Spartacus Sully; 04-12-2012, 02:33 AM.

Comment

how many calories do you burn a day and how many do you cut?
                  Right now im taking in only about 1400 a day and burning 600 on the treadmill. Im not eating anywhere near enough but im 2 stone overweight so I stick to this for a week then start eating properly.

Comment

Right now im taking in only about 1400 a day and burning 600 on the treadmill. Im not eating anywhere near enough but im 2 stone overweight so I stick to this for a week then start eating properly.
                    all your doing is treadmill work, and it seems light tred work at that. your protien needs are diffrent then some one whos doing boxing training with basic calistentics like situps and pushups.

plus im not sure if i understand you correctly.

if your experience is only based on one week, wait a little longer, your glucose should start to run out in your liver which is mainly responsible for regulating blood sugar lvls, as a result you will find your self easily exhausted and quickly dehydrated.

if your saying that you only cut once every other week, this is a great method, allowing you to replenish your glocose stores on your off weeks, but as well its a much diffrent situation to some one whos cutting for weeks in a row.

Comment

Protein shakes whilst cutting will help for sure. Just use water instead of milk.
                      I would only take 1 or 2 a day, 1 straight after training and 1 either in between meals later that day depending on what time you train or 1 before bed or first thing in the morning. It all depends on your routine and when you train, but 2 a day with water won't harm you and will help you hold onto some muscle whilst in calorie deficit.

Comment

Working...
                      X