Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much experience before competing Amateur?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much experience before competing Amateur?

I've been doing a bit of sparring lately and I'm eager to get amateur fights but know I shouldn't rush into it. I train at a rougher gym and my sparring frequency isn't great because everyone at my gym just try's to knock each other out I don't mind hard sparring but it's hard to learn too much any advice for dealing with this? also was wondering how many rounds of sparring before you would say is enough to justify competing 50/100/200? Thanks in advance guys

You got to go at different times and single out one or two guys close to your level and try to set up some sparring with the benefits will be obvious to them.More important than rounds sparred is do you have proper fundamentals and conditioning.Being relaxed and controlling your breathing is very important so you don’t gas yourself out.In the early 80s I went into the Chicago G Gloves for my first fight and was not prepared and I can tell you it’s no fun getting your ass kicked in front of your friends.You should have a coach you can go to and if he’s a good coach he will let you know when your ready.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Duke View Post
      I've been doing a bit of sparring lately and I'm eager to get amateur fights but know I shouldn't rush into it. I train at a rougher gym and my sparring frequency isn't great because everyone at my gym just try's to knock each other out I don't mind hard sparring but it's hard to learn too much any advice for dealing with this? also was wondering how many rounds of sparring before you would say is enough to justify competing 50/100/200? Thanks in advance guys
      Been training for around 9 months and have only sparred 7-8 times during that period. Why so little? I was in terrible shape and a newcomer to boxing so the first 2-3 months were getting the basics down and losing weight. Around January, leaner and fitter, I began to spar more often and started thinking about when to have my first fight. Why am I telling you all of this? Well, as I sparred it became crystal clear I wasn't ready to fight yet. Recently went 5 rounds of heavy sparring with my boxing coach - a professional MMA fighter - and got a real wake-up call. My defence was easy to get through, I was too slow, too tired early on and he basically dominated me without effort from start to finish.

So, I think it's more about sparring someone you consider to be a good boxer and seeing how you fare.

That's the test. How is your stamina during the sparring? How is your defence holding up? Are you taking several hard shots to the head? We video taped our sparring and, after watching it, sat down and discussed how to improve my weak points. I'll keep sparring week in, week out but I think it's important you're performing to a high level in sparring before thinking about accepting a fight. Good luck!
      Last edited by Le_Grand; 03-13-2019, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Go to a better gym, get a good coach. When you have a decent coach, he will evaluate where you're at and let you know when you're ready to compete. If you don't have any kind of guidance at this point, I wouldn't even consider competing. This stuff can be dangerous. Go about it intelligently.

Comment

I fought in the J.O.s after training for 2 months. It's up to you really how long you should train before. Condition your mind to face challenges and to work through those challenges. To lose a fight is honorable if you gave it your all. …….Rockin'

Comment

I'm looking at getting my first fight around August time, I've been training since January this year. I spar 2 -3 times a week sometimes 4. I'll get some of the more experienced ones to spar with me at the gym on non training days as well

Comment

I had an exhibition after maybe 3 months of training (started sparring after the first week or so), had another exhibition 6 months in. Was supposed to have my first fight 9 months in but my opponent no showed, had my first amateur fight 11 months in and had my second fight a couple weeks later. Fighting again in about 2 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by welsh_rarebit View Post
                I'm looking at getting my first fight around August time, I've been training since January this year. I spar 2 -3 times a week sometimes 4. I'll get some of the more experienced ones to spar with me at the gym on non training days as well
                That's a solid amount of time IMO

Comment

Working...
                X