Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Mayweather punch hard (for his weight class)?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plenty hard enough I think... dude isn't really going for the kill usually though, just landing meaningful shots to score, discourage and force his opponent to reset. Thing is smart fighters are tending not to really load up anyway - not unless or until the opponent's virtually a sitting duck. Why take the risk? All fighters can throw hard but heavy shots tend be be slow and easy to read, and committing makes you more vulnerable.

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
      No he's far below average in the power department at 147. With how many clean punches he landed on opponents he'd have had many KO's on his record at the weight if he wasn't
      This...he just didnt have the power at a higher weight man. He is a sharp puncher, but just not a hard one.

Comment

At 130 yes.

His punches clearly had effect on fighters there.

At 147 no, but he had enough snap on his shots to earn fighters respect.

Comment

I think he punches hard for 140 and below 147 enough to sting but not to knock you unless your looking at the ref with your hands down or your fighting a 5 foot 2 140 pound dude coming up to 147

Comment

Originally posted by mayweatherspace View Post
            Floyd Mayweather's most powerful KO punches

Okay I have been hearing people calling Floyd pillow fisted and a weak puncher etc.
            Back in his younger days when he didn't have his hand injury, he was an exceptionally powerful puncher. He has 26 knockouts (or 27 if you count the Mcgregor TKO)

I think the problem is, Mayweather relies on his defence and rarely goes for the kill, which leads to people thinking he cannot punch hard.

If Mayweather tried to knock his opponent out in each and every fight and round he would have demonstrated crazy knockout power. But he rather plays it safe, which is why he is 50-0
            Ko rate does not always accurately dictate punching power. Floyd had like a 75-80% ko ratio fighting guys his size, as he moved up and was routinely outweighed 10-15 pounds he stopped getting the knockouts. Ask yourself this, if he was feather fisted why didn’t guys like De la Hoya, cotto, Alvarez, Mosley, McGregor etc. who are physically HUGE compared to him just walk straight through them? The answer is because they knew there was a price to pay for coming in. Floyd for a guy who weighs 150 pounds fight night has pop, just not as much pop as the real punchers at 147 who enter the ring 160ish and walk around 175ish.

Comment

He's average, but is incredibly accurate, but also not very aggressive. Before his hand issues he was above average.

Comment

Floyd can punch hard, but he's not a one punch knockout guy. His knockouts came through combination punching. When he moved up to 147, he was defense first, and so he reduced his combination punching, and therefore his knockouts dried up. But if you look at the reaction of guys like Mosely and Cotto, when he decided to sit down on punches, you'll see that he has good pop at 147...enough to make guys like that, with elite chins wobble.

Comment

I don’t think Floyd’s power is as devastating as it was in the lighter weight classes but I don’t think it feels good to be hit by him either.

Comment

Of course not, most his fights went the distance and hed rarely drop his opponent even if he was wining easily

Comment

Originally posted by mayweatherspace View Post
                      Floyd Mayweather's most powerful KO punches

Okay I have been hearing people calling Floyd pillow fisted and a weak puncher etc.
                      Back in his younger days when he didn't have his hand injury, he was an exceptionally powerful puncher. He has 26 knockouts (or 27 if you count the Mcgregor TKO)

I think the problem is, Mayweather relies on his defence and rarely goes for the kill, which leads to people thinking he cannot punch hard.

If Mayweather tried to knock his opponent out in each and every fight and round he would have demonstrated crazy knockout power. But he rather plays it safe, which is why he is 50-0
                      Ask Canelo who he buzzed many times

Comment

Working...
                      X