Bert and Ernie are indeed a gay couple, 'Sesame Street' writer claims

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bert and Ernie are indeed a gay couple, 'Sesame Street' writer claims

Who the hell didn't already know this?

Former “Sesame Street” writer Mark Saltzman said Bert and Ernie’s relationship was modeled after his own with his life partner, Arnold Glassman.

Iconic "Sesame Street" puppets Bert and Ernie are a couple, according to a former writer for the show.

In an exclusive interview with with blog "Queerty," Mark Saltzman said he felt that when he was writing Bert and Ernie, he was writing them as a couple and basing their interactions on his own with his real world partner.

"I always felt that without a huge agenda, when I was writing Bert and Ernie, they were," Saltzman told Queerty. "I didn’t have any other way to contextualize them. The other thing was, more than one person referred to Arnie and I as 'Bert and Ernie.'"

However, Sesame Workshop, which produces the show, denies the pair are together, saying they have no sexual orientation but are best friends.

“As we have always said, Bert and Ernie are best friends. They were created to teach preschoolers that people can be good friends with those who are very different from themselves. Even though they are identified as male characters and possess many human traits and characteristics (as most Sesame Street Muppets™ do), they remain puppets, and do not have a sexual orientation,” the workshop said in a statement to NBC News.

Saltzman, who wrote for "Sesame Street" from 1981 until 1990, said the duo's relationship was modeled after his own real-life relationship with film editor Arnold Glassman, who was Saltzman's partner until Glassman's death in 2003.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/feature/nbc-...claims-n910701

Ernie could do better

no h0m0

Comment

I bet Bert has a big ass d*ck though.

Comment

I call bs. I mean they ARE a gay couple cuz wtf those mfers act gay as sh^t, but this guy merely wrote for the characters & did so with his own motivation which appears to be his own gay relationship. If Bert & Ernie were legit created as a gay couple is only a question the creators of those characters can say.

I feel like Bert & Ernie weren't gay as created, but its become a gay agenda thing cuz they definitely act gay & they are characters a lot of people from many different backgrounds have been exposed to even if they "don't know any gay people". So they are among the most perfect characters to make retroactively gay to intrude onto anti-gay peoples childhood or to calm down a bit in general who aren't chill about gay sh^t. Cuz I mean for the most part people who hate a group of people tend to do so off of one or a handful of bad interactions or bad opinions with that group that they had or a family member had that was passed down. And who can f#cking hate on Bert & mfing Ernie? So I get the agenda, but I don't buy it.

Comment

The entire cast of SpongeBob (minus Mr. Krabs) is gay. Squidward??? Flaming gay! SpongeBob and Patrick? Come on. Sandy Cheeks the lesbian squirrel.

Bert and Ernie were gay, but as kids you don't know any better because they were never in sexual situations. It was sort of an "Odd Couple" spin off with puppets. I think they were both cheating on one another with "Big Bird" for obvious reasons.

Comment

Comment

Goddammit, we losing everybody

Comment

That’s gay as hell

Comment

Originally posted by Beercules View Post
                  I bet Bert has a big ass d*ck though.
                  Kermit the frog was packing the most doe. Fat white hoes like Miss Piggy couldn't get enough of Kermit's bbc.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
                    The entire cast of SpongeBob (minus Mr. Krabs) is gay. Squidward??? Flaming gay! SpongeBob and Patrick? Come on. Sandy Cheeks the lesbian squirrel.

Bert and Ernie were gay, but as kids you don't know any better because they were never in sexual situations. It was sort of an "Odd Couple" spin off with puppets. I think they were both cheating on one another with "Big Bird" for obvious reasons.
                    Sponge Bob is funny man.

Comment

Working...
                    X