Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which mediocre boxing trainers have lucked out with talented fighters?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kaspa9t9 View Post
    Not a bad shout.

I also agree with Virgil, I've never heard the dude give any tactical advise in the corner it's all pep talk.

Even with Kov-Ward; when Ward was in trouble early in the fight he never offered any tactical advise, all he did was pump Ward up with his emotional speeches which made Ward go out there and figure how to get back into the fight himself.

Khan also looks like trash under him.
    I agree about Khan. He looked better under Roach for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
      That may be a bit harsh. Sure Enzo lucked out with a prime sperm reaching Mrs Calzaghes ovum, but including Joe he guided 3 of the 6 fighters he trained to world titles, and given that they all came from an area roughly the size of a postage stamp in South Wales, the talent pool wasn't exactly huge. Granted, none of them apart from Joe were very good, but that's still no mean achievement.
      I think maybe Joe's success attracted Enzo and Gavin Rees over to the camp rather than him developing them. I don't know if they turned pro with him. To be fair Macranelli looked better with Enzo than without him later on, but I think Haye crushed he's confidence too. But yeah, since like you say 3 out of 6 did pretty good, maybe I was abit rough. But Enzo really does rate himself.

Comment

Originally posted by iamboxing View Post
        Brendan Ingle was fairly lucky. Naseem Hamed was naturally talented and could have been great with any trainer, and probably a lot better.
        lol wtf did I just read.

There's no luck involved there. He took a kid from 9 year old all the way through the amateurs,and did it with multiple other fighters too. no luck.

Lucky ones are guys like freddie roach in my mind. Only takes pros at world level.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
          Athletically do you not see a difference in Hearns and Ward? lol c'mon man. Steward was the last of the few cornermen that were feared for his knowledge. Most of these other guys are smoke in mirrors.
          Yes. Hearns was way more athletic and had TNT in his right hand

Comment

Originally posted by bluepete View Post
            I don't think Hamed with a conventional style would've done half as much. The ingle style gave everyone fits, Herol Graham gave McCallum and Kalambay murders, Jonny Nelson and Witter also went much further than their talent would've suggested.
            Hamed had superhuman power. The "Ingle Style" was for featherfisted puffs. He didn't even have an Ingle style, it was combination of instincts and a style he came up with. He even said himself in an interview with Sky, Ingle never did a 1-to-1 with him in his entire career and he had to train himself for most of his fights. During the Kelley fight he asked Brendan to train him, but he refused. He paid him £75k consultation fee. And BTW it was Herol who brought that limbo style to the Brendan gym, not Ingle. What kind of trainer publishes a book disparaging his fighter while he's still getting paid training fees? Brendan's a sleazeball.

Comment

Im thinking maybe chepo reynoso who trains canelo. Not sure how much of it is canelos raw talent, they've trained him since he was 13. Thats not to say theyve not put the effort in, they sure have, but is canelo the only fighter he and his son train? I may be way off the mark here.
              Last edited by TheCleaner; 05-30-2017, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by iamboxing View Post
                Hamed had superhuman power. The "Ingle Style" was for featherfisted puffs. He didn't even have an Ingle style, it was combination of instincts and a style he came up with. He even said himself in an interview with Sky, Ingle never did a 1-to-1 with him in his entire career and he had to train himself for most of his fights. During the Kelley fight he asked Brendan to train him, but he refused. He paid him £75k consultation fee. And BTW it was Herol who brought that limbo style to the Brendan gym, not Ingle. What kind of trainer publishes a book disparaging his fighter while he's still getting paid training fees? Brendan's a sleazeball.
                I'm not a fan of Ingle either. But the system at the gym, based on Herol or not, is why Hamed had the awkwardness, the footwork and the unreal upperbody movement that even took guys who didn't have much talent like Witter to titles. Yeah Hamed had power, he'd have still been good, but he was short for a feather and he's awkwardness was the reason for he's ability to fight well from the outside, giving up height and reach to everyone he faced. As a pressure fighter he wouldn't have done so well imo.

Comment

Freddie the joke coach mutha****in roach is the epitomy of this.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaspa9t9 View Post
                    Not a bad shout.

I also agree with Virgil, I've never heard the dude give any tactical advise in the corner it's all pep talk.

Even with Kov-Ward; when Ward was in trouble early in the fight he never offered any tactical advise, all he did was pump Ward up with his emotional speeches which made Ward go out there and figure how to get back into the fight himself.

Khan also looks like trash under him.
                    Yet Khan was winning the fight in a fight Verg didn't want Khan to be fighting in.

Comment

Floyd Mayweather Sr. Leads that list.

Comment

Working...
                      X