Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How far back can you trace your interest in boxing?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Late 80's. I remember watching some random Larry Holmes fight before I was really a fan. And I believe I saw Holmes' Burger King ad during that Holmes fight although I might be dreaming that up if that never happened.

Didn't become a for real fan til '88 while watching the Calvin Grove vs Jorge Paez Sr fight with a crazy dramatic 15th round. Viva Maromero Paez!!!!

Comment

The first time I remember watching boxing live was Tyson coming back from jail my pops had the black box and we were getting free ppv/showtime/hbo

Comment

Loved to play as a kid with friends some play fighting, kickboxing, boxing, wrestling, all sorts of stuff. always loved it for some strange reason.

Started watching MMA seriously as a teen in 2007 when in my country it wasnt known at all. Started watching boxing and kickboxing in 2009 or so?

I love watching fights and sparring / practicing myself. The spark is still there, even though I dont practice anymore

Comment

I was 7 years old when Tyson bit Evander Holyfield's ear and I remember seeing a glimpse of footage they showed on a kid's journal show we used to watch every monday. I also remember some relatives watching Tyson-McNeely but I had no interest yet. It really started with the big 90s fights of Lewis, Tyson, Holyfield and De La Hoya.
          Last edited by BKM-; 08-13-2017, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Azumah Nelson vs Jessie James Leijah 2 is the first fight I remember watching, remember how much my Dad enjoyed watching the fights, saw Julio Cesar Chavez around that same time, I think, and have been hooked ever since.

Comment

My dad took me with him to his friend's PPV fight party: Oscar de la Hoya Vs Rafael Ruelas.

But, the only fight I remember on the card is Gabriel Ruelas vs Jimmy Garcia.

Comment

Hagler vs. Leonard. They replayed it on Showtime endlessly. I think I saw it five times.

Tyson vs. Holyfield was probably the most excited and amazed I ever remember being watching a fight. To see a 25-1 underdog put on a performance like that is something that never leaves. It was a religious experience.

Trinidad vs. Vargas was heartbreaking. I knew as I was watching it that I was seeing the destruction of one of the most promising careers the sport has ever seen.

Watching Hopkins dismantle Trinidad was like watching a live action boxing version of Mozart conducting at the Estates Theater in Prague. I should have watched it wearing a tuxedo with a fine red wine and some cheese or some ****. They should have it on a loop at the Smithsonian.

Gatti vs. Ward I was a ****ing movie. I still can't believe it was real.

Castillo vs. Corrales I was also a movie but with a different arc. I wish I had watched it somewhere in a public setting because the atmosphere it created was transcendental. Like New Years at the stroke of midnight in Times Square times 1,000. People have said since it is the greatest fight of all time. I feel lucky I saw it live.

Comment

joe calzaghe vs bernard hopkins, i was 8 years old at the time. Then I started boxing in 2011 when I was 11. after that it became a passion

Comment

good thread
                    first fight i remember watching was Klitschko vs kirk johnson in 2003 i was 14...only watched because kirk johnson is from same city as me and my uncle ordered the ppv...johnson lasted like 2 rounds lololol

then fast forward into my later teen years 2007ish..highlights of prince nassem got me hooked on boxing lol

Comment

I really didn't start watching it ALL THE TIME until 2009 May vs JMM.
                      Now I knew about since I was younger. Knew Tyson, Ali, Sugar Ray, all of the big names. I used to play Tyson KO all the time in Sega and I remember using Floyd Patterson alot. I remember when Roy Jones got KOd by Tarver. Remember Zab Judah being more talked about than Floyd in the early 2000s. I think one of my uncle's orded B Hop vs Tito at my house for my pops bday so boxing was always around.

I really wish I was into boxing instead of wrestling from 97-2003. It was WCW and WWF instead of WBC and WBA for me when I was young lol.

Comment

Working...
                      X