Collapse
No announcement yet.

**** you Windows 10 leave me alone

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually installed Win 10 3 days ago. I 1st tried out a few Linux distros and decided they were crap. After 3 days of using Win 10 it feels very familiar now and I have it all set up to my liking. I can honestly say I like it very much and I'm glad I took advantage of the free install. The digitally license is attached to my Microsoft account which means it's transferable to any future PC I wish to install it on and it will activate automatically when I sign in to my account. I will never have to buy an O/S because it will be updated forever. You can minimize the intrusiveness that's built in to it by doing a little research. The fact is...in 3 1/2 years extended support will end for Win 7 & 8 so like it or not...if you are going to be a Windows user you will be using 10.

The free upgrade period ended July 29th...however...

http://www.howtogeek.com/265409/you-...sibility-site/

I suggest you upgrade now. If you still want to use your old setup do it anyways. Created an image back up of your system...upgrade and download the reinstall ISO and burn it...link up your digital license to your Microsoft account...and then reinstall your image backup and you will one day thank me when you have to install Win 10 and you will have done so for free.

But give a week or two before reverting back and you will probably really like it and stick with it.
    Last edited by jaded; 08-13-2016, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by B.UTLER View Post
      messed up my laptop, i had to factory reset it.. now my other laptop wouldnt stop bugging me to update to windows 10..
      Best thread you've ever made... even simple app functions (like burning CDs in Windows Media Player) needed to be completely reset on my laptop after I upgraded to Windows 10. Opting to install it is like letting a tramp jizz in your computer.

Comment

Originally posted by jaded View Post
        I actually installed Win 10 3 days ago. I 1st tried out a few Linux distros and decided they were crap. After 3 days of using Win 10 it feels very familiar now and I have it all set up to my liking. I can honestly say I like it very much and I'm glad I took advantage of the free install. The digitally license is attached to my Microsoft account which means it's transferable to any future PC I wish to install it on and it will activate automatically when I sign in to my account. I will never have to buy an O/S because it will be updated forever. You can minimize the intrusiveness that's built in to it by doing a little research. The fact is...in 3 1/2 years extended support will end for Win 7 & 8 so like it or not...if you are going to be a Windows user you will be using 10.

The free upgrade period ended July 29th...however...

http://www.howtogeek.com/265409/you-...sibility-site/

I suggest you upgrade now. If you still want to use your old setup do it anyways. Created an image back up of your system...upgrade and download the reinstall ISO and burn it...link up your digital license to your Microsoft account...and then reinstall your image backup and you will one day thank me when you have to install Win 10 and you will have done so for free.

But give a week or two before reverting back and you will probably really like it and stick with it.
        Eventually those jerkoffs will start charging Windows 10 users a monthly or yearly fee to use their product. F them.

Comment

Originally posted by !! Anorak View Post
          Best thread you've ever made... even simple app functions (like burning CDs in Windows Media Player) needed to be completely reset on my laptop after I upgraded to Windows 10. Opting to install it is like letting a tramp jizz in your computer.
          Anytime you install an upgrade of any O/S over an existing install vs fresh install things like that can happen. The fix is a simple as reinstalling Window Media Player. Win 10 actually allows you to do a fresh reinstall after the install and it will save all you files for you so you don't even have to back them up. All you have to do is reinstall your personal programs and a lot of those won't even be necessary because they will already be in Win 10. All my drivers were already there after I installed...my video and printer for example which were previously big programs which both run much better now as a bonus. Really...a few glitches and a small learning curve is a small price to pay considering it's free and is always the case with a new O/S. Like I said...sooner or later you were going to have to go through that...it's really not such a biggie.

Originally posted by Xoo View Post
          Eventually those jerkoffs will start charging Windows 10 users a monthly or yearly fee to use their product. F them.

Nope...they won't. They are making their money selling apps at the Windows Store and selling your info to advertisers...that's why it's in their interest to give it away for free and have as many users as possible using it. They are selling it now to new users who have not upgraded and will continue to do so...but as I mentioned in my previous post...there is a little loop-hole at least for now. The privacy issue is is a bit annoying but if you read up you can protect your privacy to some degree...well as much as possible even with Win 10...but that has long been lost anyways and has been the case for the most part whether you know it or not for a long time.

Windows is still the best alternative...Linux sucks and Mac has even worse privacy issues and control not to mention everything costs more.
          Last edited by jaded; 08-13-2016, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Anytime you install an upgrade of any O/S over an existing install vs fresh install things like that can happen. The fix is a simple as reinstalling Window Media Player. Win 10 actually allows you to do a fresh reinstall after the install and it will save all you files for you so you don't even have to back them up. All you have to do is reinstall your personal programs and a lot of those won't even be necessary because they will already be in Win 10. All my drivers were already there after I installed...my video and printer for example which were previously big programs which both run much better now as a bonus. Really...a few glitches and a small learning curve is a small price to pay considering it's free and is always the case with a new O/S. Like I said...sooner or later you were going to have to go through that...it's really not such a biggie.
            This is one reason I don't want to upgrade. Every time I upgrade my operating system some of my old programs stop working. It's also a big hassle getting a bunch of my programs to work properly as well. And I have to learn how to navigate a new operating system.

Nope...they won't. They are making their money selling apps at the Windows Store and selling your info to advertisers...that's why it's in their interest to give it away for free and have as many users as possible using it.
            Hmmmm. I thought the whole idea was to get people to pay for a subscription. This is good news.

They are selling it now to new users who have not upgraded and will continue to do so...but as I mentioned in my previous post...there is a little loop-hole at least for now. The privacy issue is is a bit annoying but if you read up you can protect your privacy to some degree...well as much as possible even with Win 10...but that has long been lost anyways and has been the case for the most part whether you know it or not for a long time.

Windows is still the best alternative...Linux sucks and Mac has even worse privacy issues and control not to mention everything costs more.
            Well I have a ton of stuff for Windows so it's not like I plan on changing to Linux or Mac.

Comment

This is one reason I don't want to upgrade. Every time I upgrade my operating system some of my old programs stop working. It's also a big hassle getting a bunch of my programs to work properly as well. And I have to learn how to navigate a new operating system.
              You can wait and pay later or do it now for free...but either way you will eventually have no choice when support stops for what you currently use. My Acronis 2010 works fine without any special compatibility mode required...even older programs than than that will work with compatibility mode settings. BTW...I have a pretty old Windows Vista computer for hardware and use a relatively old dual monitor video card (ATI HD2600) which still worked well for me. ATI stopped updating it after Win 8 so I didn't think it would work and to my surprise not only does it...but it works even better without even having to install anything at all. All my hardware worked straight out of the box without a hitch as does everything else.

Comment

You can wait and pay later or do it now for free...but either way you will eventually have no choice when support stops for what you currently use. My Acronis 2010 works fine without any special compatibility mode required...even older programs than than that will work with compatibility mode settings. BTW...I have a pretty old Windows Vista computer for hardware and use a relatively old dual monitor video card (ATI HD2600) which still worked well for me. ATI stopped updating it after Win 8 so I didn't think it would work and to my surprise not only does it...but it works even better without even having to install anything at all. All my hardware worked straight out of the box without a hitch as does everything else.
                Well, my goal is to wait as long as possible and still not pay.

Comment

Well, my goal is to wait as long as possible and still not pay.
                  Then go back and read what I said in post 21...doing what I said and waiting is not a bad idea because all O/S's improve in time. Win 10 is already better today than it was a year ago when it was released.

I set it up by partitioning my hard drive to a dual booting system with my original O/S still intact so that I could go back to it if I didn't like 10. Doing that also makes transferring files a breeze because you can see your partition (C: which now became D:) and all you have to do is copy and past all your files from D: to C: and your done. When I'm 100% sure I don't need my old O/S setup I will delete the partition and reclaim the space for Win 10. That's the best way to it. I don't think I will have to wait much longer before deleting it because I'm happy...besides my backup image is saved to a secure safe zone on yet another small partition and with my rescue disk I can wipe my hard drive minus the secure zone and reinstall it complete as was with a couple of mouse clicks.

Comment

Get a Mac no where near as restrictive as they once were.

Comment

Then go back and read what I said in post 21...doing what I said and waiting is not a bad idea because all O/S's improve in time. Win 10 is already better today than it was a year ago when it was released.

I set it up by partitioning my hard drive to a dual booting system with my original O/S still intact so that I could go back to it if I didn't like 10. Doing that also makes transferring files a breeze because you can see your partition (C: which now became D:) and all you have to do is copy and past all your files from D: to C: and your done. When I'm 100% sure I don't need my old O/S setup I will delete the partition and reclaim the space for Win 10. That's the best way to it. I don't think I will have to wait much longer before deleting it because I'm happy...besides my backup image is saved to a secure safe zone on yet another small partition and with my rescue disk I can wipe my hard drive minus the secure zone and reinstall it complete as was with a couple of mouse clicks.
                      There's an idea, partition the hd so I can have multiple operating systems.

Comment

Working...
                      X