No announcement yet.

Trump To Rescind Obama Era Guidelines On College Admissions Based On Race

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chups View Post
    Offset for what? After the black people, Asians are the most discriminated race back in the 1800-1900's. The Chinese were murdered, the Japs sent to internment camps and the usual white only restaurants back then wasn't just for blacks but you don't hear Asians complain about it. They move on with their lives. Asians teach their children to take advantage of being in America not ever about being a victim.
    You didn't hear? A few years back it was decided that Asians have privilege too. Therefore, you cannot be racist against them. Only Black Americans and Latinos face racism and cannot be racist themselves. Because Racism=Privilege+Power+Prejudice, or some nonsense like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by BM dnobagaV View Post
      So the answer is to fight racism & discrimination with racism? And discrimination?
      Well the saying is fight fire with fire. If you can come up with a better solution, I’m all ears.

I don’t necessarily think lowering admission for those who were already unqualified is racism and discrimination. Racism is what got a significant percentage admitted for decades. They didn’t deserve to get admitted. Those are the people that should be getting eliminated.

Instead of complaining about people of color being given access, I think the focus needs to be on those still not qualified taking spots from those that are.

It’s the legacies and children of the rich and influential that are taking spots from regular white kids. It’s really white on white crime but it’s been made to appear like minority kids are taking spots from regular white kids.

No one really wants to address that so until they do then yes, I want a system where qualified minority applicants are not continually denied access. If that is equated to “racism and discrimination “so be it. As I posted it’s imperfect but imo it’s a better system than the racist one it replaced. Do you agree?

Comment

• Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
        Well the saying is fight fire with fire. If you can come up with a better solution, I’m all ears.

I don’t necessarily think lowering admission for those who were already unqualified is racism and discrimination. Racism is what got a significant percentage admitted for decades. They didn’t deserve to get admitted. Those are the people that should be getting eliminated.

Instead of complaining about people of color being given access, I think the focus needs to be on those still not qualified taking spots from those that are.

It’s the legacies and children of the rich and influential that are taking spots from regular white kids. It’s really white on white crime but it’s been made to appear like minority kids are taking spots from regular white kids.

No one really wants to address that so until they do then yes, I want a system where qualified minority applicants are not continually denied access. If that is equated to “racism and discrimination “so be it. As I posted it’s imperfect but imo it’s a better system than the racist one it replaced. Do you agree?
        this is straight up mental gymnastics.

which is what this is about...

no that is a separate issue. you are attempting to conflate the two. this is a deflection. it not been made to appear that way because that is literally what is happening.

the whole point of this "system" is for unqualified minorities to gain access. you say they are qualified...what makes them qualified?

asians are technically overqualified minorities yet they are continually denied access with this system. congrats your argument just imploded.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post
          Yup.

They forget the ghettos, where the high school dropout rates are highest and the test scores the lowest, voted D at rates of literally up to 100%.

You can't find any districts, no matter how poor and white, that voted R at 100% rates.

Face it D fanboys, your team owns the stupid vote.

Hell, your own guy Johnathan Gruber openly said they count on "stupid voters", and even laughed at how they do it.
          it's fashionable to label all trump voters white trailer trash but racist of course to bring up the ghetto trash vote that democrats depend so much on.
          Last edited by John Barron; 07-05-2018, 04:26 AM.

Comment

You want solutions?

Here:

1. In the state of Texas, they have the 10% rule, where the top 10% of every graduating class of any high school gets to choose their university of choice. There, that's diversity based on merit. Any student regardless of socio-economic status or race gets in.

2. Go with socio-economic status based affirmative action. Even many of the conservatives say they are okay with that. And since a good chunk of Blacks and Latinos are poor, they would still get in, along with poor white kids and Asian kids.

3. Go with school choice for K-12 to address the discrepancy between the schools at the lower levels.

4. Eliminate legacy admissions. Guess what? A lot of conservatives never did like that. Oh btw? You know who came up with it? The liberals. In fact they did it back in the day to keep the Jews out.

There's quite a few creative solutions, then to use race based affirmative action.

Comment

• Originally posted by Theodore View Post
              You want solutions?

Here:

1. In the state of Texas, they have the 10% rule, where the top 10% of every graduating class of any high school gets to choose their university of choice. There, that's diversity based on merit. Any student regardless of socio-economic status or race gets in.

2. Go with socio-economic status based affirmative action. Even many of the conservatives say they are okay with that. And since a good chunk of Blacks and Latinos are poor, they would still get in, along with poor white kids and Asian kids.

3. Go with school choice for K-12 to address the discrepancy between the schools at the lower levels.

4. Eliminate legacy admissions. Guess what? A lot of conservatives never did like that. Oh btw? You know who came up with it? The liberals. In fact they did it back in the day to keep the Jews out.

There's quite a few creative solutions, then to use race based affirmative action.
              1. They get to choose a university in Texas correct? How does that help address the disparity created by years of systemic racism when it comes to admission into colleges across the United States? We need a system that addresses the fact that white males in colleges more than double white males in society. How can that be done without in some ways limiting access to white males?

2. Doesn't address the core problem.

3. School choice is fraught with problems. It doesn't address the affect of the years of systemic racism has had on schools and the kids in them. Privatized school choice will inevitably reduce funding for your local neighborhood public schools. Direct and disguised vouchers to private schools and other public school alternatives start small and then expand, increasing the burden on taxpayers. What about the lack of transparency and the potential waste to taxpayer dollars ?

4. We agree, eliminate legacies. These are the kids taking your spots, not minorities.

You keep avoiding the main issue I presented-how do you rectify the years of racism that blocked qualified minorities from being admitted?

Minorities are not taking your spots because of affirmative action, white women and the children of the rich are.

I'm sorry but its hard to have compassion for people like you that have dealt with affirmative action for a few years and have decided it is "discrimination" while ignoring the hundred years of systemic racism because it allowed you to have an advantage.

How do we take away that advantage?

Comment

• Originally posted by John Barron View Post
                this is straight up mental gymnastics.

which is what this is about...

no that is a separate issue. you are attempting to conflate the two. this is a deflection. it not been made to appear that way because that is literally what is happening.

the whole point of this "system" is for unqualified minorities to gain access. you say they are qualified...what makes them qualified?

asians are technically overqualified minorities yet they are continually denied access with this system. congrats your argument just imploded.
                It's not mental gymnastics. I will post it simply because you are a simpleton.

Boo ***************ing hoo that you and other white nationalists men are upset about affirmative action. Your predecessors didn't deserve to be admitted to colleges and universities ahead of minorities and women but were given preference. Since affirmative action, guys like you have lost your spots primarily to white women.

Why haven't you asked why this is happening?

Approximately 20% of any given freshman class is legacy admissions. These students come in with lower GPA's and SAT scores.

A guy like you is fine if 2,000 out of 10,000 admitted students don't deserve to be there because they are white. Ok, cool. Then why do you get upset when you think the undeserving person getting admitted isn't white?

Equality is when all of us get the same special treatment. If you didn't care that under achieving whites were getting admitted I don't think you should be so upset if and when this happens with non whites.

The world is better where everyone gets special treatment or no one group gets it.
                Last edited by The Big Dunn; 07-05-2018, 07:06 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chups View Post
                  Offset for what? After the black people, Asians are the most discriminated race back in the 1800-1900's. The Chinese were murdered, the Japs sent to internment camps and the usual white only restaurants back then wasn't just for blacks but you don't hear Asians complain about it. They move on with their lives. Asians teach their children to take advantage of being in America not ever about being a victim.
                  I don't think a game of "who is the most discriminated against more" works here, In no way did I say or imply Asians have never been discriminated against.

Comment

It's not mental gymnastics. I will post it simply because you are a simpleton.

Boo ***************ing hoo that you and other white nationalists men are upset about affirmative action. Your predecessors didn't deserve to be admitted to colleges and universities ahead of minorities and women but were given preference. Since affirmative action, guys like you have lost your spots primarily to white women.

Why haven't you asked why this is happening?

Approximately 20% of any given freshman class is legacy admissions. These students come in with lower GPA's and SAT scores.

A guy like you is fine if 2,000 out of 10,000 admitted students don't deserve to be there because they are white. Ok, cool. Then why do you get upset when you think the undeserving person getting admitted isn't white?

Equality is when all of us get the same special treatment. If you didn't care that under achieving whites were getting admitted I don't think you should be so upset if and when this happens with non whites.

The world is better where everyone gets special treatment or no one group gets it.
                    i believe admissions should be gender and color blind. that's my position on this, not the typical white nationalist straw man you have built. the "not racist" system you are championing quite clearly discriminates against a race group, asians. it was asians who filed the lawsuit against harvard not salty white nationalists. this is why you are the big dunning-kruger.

Comment

• Originally posted by John Barron View Post
                      i believe admissions should be gender and color blind. that's my position on this, not the typical white nationalist straw man you have built. the "not racist" system you are championing quite clearly discriminates against a race group, asians. it was asians who filed the lawsuit against harvard not salty white nationalists. this is why you are the big dunning-kruger.
                      Correct me but isn't this thread about Trump rescinding Obama-era policies and guidelines that promote the use of race in college admissions in order to promote campus diversity?

That lawsuit you mentioned is separate from this. It also is Harvard specific. I'm not exactly sure why you are mentioning it.

It's easy to say I want admissions to be gender and color blind. Of course you do now because there is a system in place that is trying to offset the decades of advantage given that has gotten us to a point where white males disproportionately makeup a large percentage of student bodies on college/university campuses.

Comment

Working...
                      X