Got the W | Amateur Fight - Feb 9th

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's another angle: https://youtu.be/KUV9VWhDsjE

Comment

Great conditioning and dodging/slips throughout the three rounds! Like Rockin’ said, more power shots to the body would work in your favour by wearing your opponent out + sapping his confidence. Like you wrote above, you’re already doing the hardest part (not getting hit), just switching up Head/Body more would keep your opponent guessing where to protect himself. Congrats again on the win!

Comment

Originally posted by Le_Grand View Post
        Great conditioning and dodging/slips throughout the three rounds! Like Rockin’ said, more power shots to the body would work in your favour by wearing your opponent out + sapping his confidence. Like you wrote above, you’re already doing the hardest part (not getting hit), just switching up Head/Body more would keep your opponent guessing where to protect himself. Congrats again on the win!
        Aye thanks man. Appreciate the words as well.

Back in the boxing gym on Tuesday and going to work on dialing these in. Have at least another month and maybe even a bit longer til the next sanctioned event I can fight in.

Comment

Originally posted by tcbender View Post
          Definitely worked on not switching to southpaw and if I do switch to go back immediately into orthodox. Still figuring it out, but its kind of natural to slip into southpaw so retraining that. Def a work in progress.

I wasn't throwing many wide hooks in sparring, and went in not planning on throwing many, but found out early that they were working so decided to keep throwing them. Definitely got a little wide. I think that's mainly because of doing burnout drills that my coach has me do a lot with the hooks on pads and the heavy bag.

Yeah my coach was telling me that I need to counter off of those hooks, said the hard part is done (making him miss) its not something I do a ton of in sparring as well so definitely something that I need to continue to work on.

I also am not sure about that low ducking thing I was doing repeatedly. Started doing it early (and it actually worked pretty well I was slipping both the jab and right hand from that low position and blocking with my shoulder), and just sort of continued to do it. He did start to time it a little better so actually faked doing it a couple times, but also isn't something I do in sparring often.

I really wanted him to pressure me more, but I get sort of anxious with the lack of action (as seen in the first) and then I almost feel the need to kind of stalk and put the pressure on myself, which isn't really how I wanted to fight, but worked out.

Definitely happy to have gotten back in right away and got the win. Wish I was feeling a little better but figuring out more to work on and will continue to train hard to improve.

Edit: Also need to work on keeping my chin tucked better. Used be really good at that (ran drills, etc) but have sort of gotten away from it recently. So something else I'll work on.

Wasn't my best performance but glad I did it got the experience and got the W. I think its at least another month til I can get another fight, that one is for firefighters and cops (although it is sanctioned) and I saw in the past that they didn't really match anyone that wasn't a serviceman. Then golden gloves is March 30th so that's the main thing.

Sort of inbetween weights at the moment (once I quit lifting I start to lose weight). Thinking about potentially going down to 152, may be tough but think it could be do-able. Otherwise will have to keep lifting later in camp to keep my weight up. I'm not that that short lol, this dude was like 6' 2-4"
          Everything will come will experience man. You'll look back on this fight when you turn open and you'll say, "Jeez I'm ridiculously better now."

Try and find something that you want to learn, and practice it in sparring over and over.

Comment

Working...
          X