Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do you rate retired modern era heavyweights?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do you rate retired modern era heavyweights?

Where do you rate these modern era heavyweights who have retired in the past few years?

Evander Holyfield (BoxRec #11)
    Vitali Klitschko (BoxRec #38)
    Hasim Rahman (BoxRec #90)
    Chris Byrd (BoxRec #101)
    Nicolay Valuev (BoxRec #140)
    David Haye (BoxRec #151)
    Sam Peter (BoxRec #160)
    John Ruiz (Boxrec #168)
    Lamon Brewster (BoxRec #189)

The numbers change over time. The all-time rankings only include boxers who have retired. For example, if some of Vitali Klitschko's opponents like Odlanier Solis and Chris Arreola go on to have some meaningful wins and then retire, he'll move higher on the BoxRec all-time rankings.

Originally posted by Freedom2014 View Post
    Where do you rate these modern era heavyweights who have retired in the past few years?

Evander Holyfield (BoxRec #11)
    Vitali Klitschko (BoxRec #38)
    Hasim Rahman (BoxRec #90)
    Chris Byrd (BoxRec #101)
    Nicolay Valuev (BoxRec #140)
    David Haye (BoxRec #151)
    Sam Peter (BoxRec #160)
    John Ruiz (Boxrec #168)
    Lamon Brewster (BoxRec #189)

The numbers change over time. The all-time rankings only include boxers who have retired. For example, if some of Vitali Klitschko's opponents like Odlanier Solis and Chris Arreola go on to have some meaningful wins and then retire, he'll move higher on the BoxRec all-time rankings.
    Evander and VK are in the TOP 20 range. Everyone else, including David Haye, aren't worthy of being considered in any ATG discussion.

Comment

Where's Lennox Lewis?

Comment

Originally posted by jas View Post
        Where's Lennox Lewis?
        I was asking about boxers who retired more recently, during the past 5 or 6 years.

Where do you rank him?

Comment

Originally posted by bklynboy View Post
          Evander and VK are in the TOP 20 range. Everyone else, including David Haye, aren't worthy of being considered in any ATG discussion.
          I look at the list and tend to agree. Most of these guys had very frustrating careers.

Rahman beats Sanders and then Lewis but somehow could never beat Maskaeev and was in a ton of mediocre fights after. I honestly felt his right hand left him around 2004.

Valuev does pretty good then has two closely fought losses, then quits?
          wtf?

Byrd was wily and clever and usually found a way but got brutalized by punchers.

Peter was a super big puncher who had that amazing knock out of half man half amazing Jeremy Williams. I always thought that when Jameel McCline dropped him it was the beginning of the end because not only was he crude, but seemed like you could hurt him too.

Brewster was a grinder who could be outboxed but he did have big power.
          He never put together a good string after upsetting Wlad, although the quick ko of Golota was one of the funnest things i ever saw live. After that people outworked and outboxed him.

Haye= talented but got embarrassed in his biggest fight.

Ruiz- annoying as hell but at times actually performed above his abilities, but overall, ruiz- sheesh.

I think this group had some potential and some great victories among them but none of them except Vitali and earlier Evander were very consistent.

A frustrating group.

Comment

It wouldn't be fair if I didn't criticize Vitali as well being a frustrating fighter.

Not because of anything he did in the ring but that 4 year abscence because of injuries kind of put a damper on his reign. I felt that for a while there he was holding the belt hostage.

At least though when he fought he consistently performed unlike the other up and downers.

Comment

Apart from Holy and Vitali, I don't rate them at all. They're just not good enough to be rated, and boxrec ratings are utterly absurd.

I have Vitali much higher than 38 though.

As for the others, Haye is a real 'if only' fighter. He had a good career, but just lacked a few essentials to ever be any kind of great and was much too inactive.

Ruiz was better than he ever should have been, and Byrd had some great traits but was just short of being a top heavyweight.

The others? Brewster, Valuev, Rahman, Peter are just standard fodder. They are a dime a dozen and forgotten the moment they leave. That's not to say they weren't good, because anyone fighting as a world rated fighter is good, but in historic terms, they are nothing. Peter and Valuez were just laughable. Brewster and Rahman would have been contenders in any era, but nothing more.

Comment

Vitali is ATG top 15. So is Holyfield. Don't give a **** about the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Weltschmerz View Post
                  Vitali is ATG top 15. So is Holyfield. Don't give a **** about the rest.

You say that as if Holyfield is just an afterthought to Vitali, and that they are similarly placed. Holyfield has one of the greatest resumes of all time, while Vitali has one of the worst for a top HOF HW. It goes without saying that Holy is top 15. Vitali....well, let's not go there in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by BennyST View Post

You say that as if Holyfield is just an afterthought to Vitali, and that they are similarly placed. Holyfield has one of the greatest resumes of all time, while Vitali has one of the worst for a top HOF HW. It goes without saying that Holy is top 15. Vitali....well, let's not go there in this thread.
                    Vitali is one of the greatest heavyweights of all time. His resume doesn't show, but h2h he'd beat any man in history. That's a fact you don't like to hear, knowing you wear rose tainted glasses. Do you know Vitali was kickboxing world champion before his boxing career? The man is a natural born fighter.

Comment

Working...
                    X