“The PBC and Fox have 99% of the top fighters.” -Fox Sports EVP

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Curt Henning View Post
    try context man......

it means that haymons guys love him and are happy with him....try comprehending that.....

the haymon hate goes too far.....try looking around and reading it......none of haymons guys complain or talk about money left on the table or being held "hostage"

if they were theyd be talking about it...theyd be disgruntled

but they all love him

watch the same clowns spend the whole day and night tonight making threads bashing haymon and the pbc.....take a look around jack

try context man.....what I said means something and speaks volumes
    I'm content to believe that most of Haymon's guys are very happy with him - I just can't quite understand the context in which that makes the Fox EVPs statement more accurate.

Are you saying that what he's actually trying to say is that PBC have got 99% of the happiest fighters? I mean I gotta agree that happiness is more important than both money and boxing greatness, but that's still kinda an unusual take.
    Last edited by Citizen Koba; 11-16-2019, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Yea 99% was obviously high, like waaaaaay high, but I think you gotta look beyond the top 10. Im assuming if you look at the top 100 or 200 boxers of the 20k+ active boxers you can see the size of the influence PBC has. I did this in a thread a couple years back via each divisions top ten & it was nuts how much of a hold PBC has & more profoundly had they had & stiill got some divisions on virtual lock.

Comment

Originally posted by DaNeutral. View Post
        I don't know how many times I've said this. People connected to the PBC can't stop lying, inflating numbers or hating on any competition. I only say it when somebody connected to the PBC says something stoooopid but thats a very regular occurrence.
        Motorcity Cobra shook. Now has me on ignore. He said that Sky was a subscription, on top of that, said one needed to pay extra for PPV.

geeez, this is what I've been saying about ESPN+, Showtime and Fox for the longest! lol

bigjavi973

Cobra got shook! Knows the American pays way more with a cable sub + PPV for whatever boxing platform that isn't DAZN. owned!

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          Yea 99% was obviously high, like waaaaaay high, but I think you gotta look beyond the top 10. Im assuming if you look at the top 100 or 200 boxers of the 20k+ active boxers you can see the size of the influence PBC has. I did this in a thread a couple years back via each divisions top ten & it was nuts how much of a hold PBC has & more profoundly had they had & stiill got some divisions on virtual lock.
          PBCs strategy has been very sound I think... rather than initially diffusing their efforts by picking up the elite talent throughout multiple divisions they went for real depth in just a few. Furthermore those divisions were largely adjacent which also means a multitude of opportunities for dudes to make cross divisional fights or grow into new divisions whilse staying in house. Also they got a lot of young US talent, meaning plenty of longevity and a built in fanbase.

From this strong foundation it looks like the plan has then been to start accumulating talent in other divisions, presumably with an endgame of gradually getting enough weight of top guys in each division to effectively shut out any top talents that might remain with other promotions. You don't necessarily need the best guy as long as you got the guys that the best guy needs to fight.

I can't claim any business expertise but to a layman's eye it looks like a very effective way of maximising the return on fighters by making sure that as many top fights as possible are kept in house and that of those the large majority are between fighters with a strong US fanbase.

EDIT: But yeah. The 99% claim is plain silly whichever way you cut it.
          Last edited by Citizen Koba; 11-16-2019, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
            I'm content to believe that most of Haymon's guys are very happy with him - I just can't quite understand the context in which that makes the Fox EVPs statement more accurate.

Are you saying that what he's actually trying to say is that PBC have got 99% of the happiest fighters? I mean I gotta agree that happiness is more important than both money and boxing greatness, but that's still kinda an unusual take.
            no when i said "context" it was in reference to my statement about santa cruz naming his kid after haymon....it wasnt related to the statement made by the fox EVP.....

Comment

no when i said "context" it was in reference to my statement about santa cruz naming his kid after haymon....it wasnt related to the statement made by the fox EVP.....
              Apologies, man. My misunderstanding. I'm not gonna ask what LSCs kid gotta do with this.

Comment

Apologies, man. My misunderstanding. I'm not gonna ask what LSCs kid gotta do with this.
                my point was obviously that haymons guys are happy....yet these guys love to suggest theyre all missing these grand opportunities...it wasnt a main supporting point....but just one i threw in and i think it does speak volumes about haymon

Comment

my point was obviously that haymons guys are happy....yet these guys love to suggest theyre all missing these grand opportunities...it wasnt a main supporting point....but just one i threw in and i think it does speak volumes about haymon
                  For sure it's good that his dudes are happy - there have been a few exceptions, but in the main it certainly appears there's many fewer complaints than with other promotions. As a boxing fan though my primary concern is that we get the best fights and as a promotion I don't think PBC particularly stands out here, neither significantly better nor particularly worse than it's competitors.

Comment

yeah p4p....Id def agree

yes DAZN is very top heavy....and danny has made some good money lately but hes very overpaid...

but like I said...wilder is one of the top paid after top 3....tank makes about what loma makes....whos more recognized than pac? pac, spence, danny, porter, Thurman were all eating well.......as stupid as he is adrien broner is known even by many casuals.....and hes made good money in his career no matter how much of a clown he is

arum dumped ruiz and haymon took the scraps and turned it into a lot of $$$

how many fighters you see naming their kids after hearn, arum or Oscar? cause santa cruz with with haymon.....paul Williams still gets a call like once a week?

the haymon hate is unreal

maybe the statement made was ridiculous...but the haymon hate has gone too far
                    Where in my post did I even mention Al Haymon yet alone “hate” on him?

PBC simply doesn’t have 99% of the top fighters any way you slice it. They have around 50% of the top fighters.

I’d like to see PBC have about 75% of the top fighters before they go the UFC way.

Having only 50% of the top fighters and going the UFC way will only make boxing more of a mess.

Comment

PBCs strategy has been very sound I think... rather than initially diffusing their efforts by picking up the elite talent throughout multiple divisions they went for real depth in just a few. Furthermore those divisions were largely adjacent which also means a multitude of opportunities for dudes to make cross divisional fights or grow into new divisions whilse staying in house. Also they got a lot of young US talent, meaning plenty of longevity and a built in fanbase.

From this strong foundation it looks like the plan has then been to start accumulating talent in other divisions, presumably with an endgame of gradually getting enough weight of top guys in each division to effectively shut out any top talents that might remain with other promotions. You don't necessarily need the best guy as long as you got the guys that the best guy needs to fight.

I can't claim any business expertise but to a layman's eye it looks like a very effective way of maximising the return on fighters by making sure that as many top fights as possible are kept in house and that of those the large majority are between fighters with a strong US fanbase.

EDIT: But yeah. The 99% claim is plain silly whichever way you cut it.
                      Yea no one has ever said Al is bad at business that knows much about anything even if you can dog Al about some of his moves from a boxing fan outlook.

The takeover of boxing is a whole other thing doe & Im not so sure that Al, or anyone around right now whos in the game, can do that.

And looking at the Transnational rankings for a quick look at the hold they have PBC gots in the non lil guy divisions. By my best estimation anyway cuz some of these affiliations Im not 100% sure about & Danny is one of those weird guys whos DAZN, but Al affiliated so you can kinda count him & cant count him at the same time.

HW 4 of 10
                      CW 1 or 2 of 10
                      LHW 2 or 3 of 11
                      SMW 5 of 10
                      MW 3 or 4 of 11
                      JMW 7 of 10
                      WW 7 of 10

Thats at least 29 of 72, taking the low number, of the best guys in the biggest divisions or 40% of the best mfers in the divisions that matter in the non lil guy bigger money divisions. Thats f#cking an issue for the other cats in the market even if its not 99%.

Comment

Working...
                      X