Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anthony Joshua v Alexander Povetkin will not sell out, admits Eddie Hearn

• Public more interested in Joshua fighting Wilder says promoter
    • Hearn sounds warning over growth of pay-per-view bouts

Anthony Joshua’s heavyweight fight with Alexander Povetkin next week will not be a sellout, with the promoter Eddie Hearn admitting he has found it more difficult to sell tickets than for the WBA, IBF and WBO champion’s previous title defences at Wembley.

“We have had to work a bit harder this time,” said Hearn. “Normally when you go on sale with an Anthony Joshua fight it just goes ‘ping’ but it has been slower than Wladimir Klitschko and Joseph Parker.

The only thing that aggravates me is that anyone in boxing I have spoken to says it is a tough fight, whereas the man on the street goes to me: ‘When’s the [Deontay] Wilder fight?’ I say he has to get through Povetkin first and they say: ‘He’ll knock him out.’ Who knows?

“If Povetkin had come over and tried to nut Joshua at the press conference we would have sold out immediately. Instead there are a lot of people saying: ‘I will come in April for the Wilder fight.’”

However, Hearn insists he is still expecting 80,000 at Wembley a week on Saturday – with much of the problem coming down to the difficulty in selling coach packages, which are required as part of the deal to hire the stadium.

“The only tickets that won’t go are the 15,000 we could only sell as part of a coach package, that was part of the deal,” he said. “We have done 3,000-4,000, but people just don’t want to come by coach. However we will have over 80,000 in there.”

Meanwhile Hearn has issued a warning that the growth in the number of fights that are held on pay-per-view will “end in tears”. “You can’t say it is good for boxing, because it is not,” he added. “We are in a strong position now because our platform is solid and proven. But what will happen is other fighters will take risks on pay-per-views that won’t work. If the Josh Warrington v Carl Frampton fight in December does 100,000 buys on PPV I’d be astonished, so how are the fighters going to make any money?”

Hearn also warned Sky that it could do more financially for boxing when it comes to non-pay-per-view fights. “Sky are consistently backing boxing at a level where we can do an Amir Khan fight on Saturday and just about wipe our face,” he added. “What sort of business is that? You work on a Khan card for three to four months, sell 8,000 tickets and as a promoter you are thinking: ‘Can I break even? Where we make our money is pay-per-view.’”
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ut-eddie-hearn

But nobody knows who Wilder is doe

And Hearn was all about PPV before he got his DAZN deal.

warrington frampton on ppv is laughable, who the hell is gonna buy that. hearn is right. And 80k is still a great turnout

Comment

Originally posted by ' FAST ' Eddie
      If Povetkin had come over and tried to nut Joshua at the press conference''
      I know Deontay would of nutted on Joshua.

Comment

Originally posted by 1hourRun View Post
        I know Deontay would of nutted on Joshua.
        But he wouldn't let Wilder in the ring.

Comment

80,000 fans isn't a sellout but its still pretty damn good. I bet it does close to a million on PPV as well. And if Warren tries to go with Frampton vs Warrington head to head with Whyte vs Chisora II he will get crushed. Whyte vs Chisora I was a war and the second one will be guaranteed excitement as well. Casual fans will always go with a big Heavyweight fight over a big fight in the lower weight classes.

Comment

I forgot this fight was next week I've not paid it any attention. 80k is a spectacular turnout. I don't think there's many fights that have drawn that in recent years.

I think the Wilder fight will happen in April. I think both sides have been playing the game and fans have gotten too emotional. The plan all along was to drum up interest and they've done it with the "He's ducking me" game. Crappy gimmicks work on certain people and casual fans. I think most sane Boxing fans were/are relaxed about the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
              But he wouldn't let Wilder in the ring.
              Hahaha lol!

Comment

Wtf is this bs about?

“The only tickets that won’t go are the 15,000 we could only sell as part of a coach package, that was part of the deal,” he said. “We have done 3,000-4,000, but people just don’t want to come by coach. However we will have over 80,000 in there.”
                I've never heard of anything like this & certainly not so many tickets that have to be sold with travel by coach lol. Is this legit or some weird bs Hearn is pulling out of his ass? Why would a stadium give a f#ck how people get to their stadium? Is there THAT much upside in driving 15k people to the event vs the sh^t they won't be buying by not showing up cuz they don't wanna get on some f#cking Joshua vs Povetkin bus? Weird if this is for real.

Comment

Why do you even care ? As long as we gets good fights like this im happy

Comment

He's right about the British PPV market reaching breaking point. We've got three PPVs on three different channels over the next three weeks with Golovkin vs Canelo 2 on BT Sport, Joshua vs Povetkin on Sky Sports and Groves vs Smith on ITV Box Office, I hope he's able to convince Sky to reduce the number slightly next year and invest more in the regular Saturday night shows. British PPV should be reserved for elite match-ups involving British fighters. Joshua vs Povetkin does actually fit the bill for me; Bellew vs Haye and Whyte vs Parker didn't, even if they did end up being entertaining

Comment

Working...
                    X