Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did Showtime make money back from Floyd Mayweather ???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Manlikefemi View Post
    Showtime invested 250M into Mayweather back in 2013. How did they make this money which made it a good buisness descison. I thought tv companies only take a little from a Fight Generated ? So from the Outside it looks like Showtime lost a lot of money
    1. Hopefully someone will check the numbers, but from the moment Floyd signed his deal with Showtime/CBS through the end of the deal with the Berto fight, Showtime was added on in something like 5m-6m homes. Attributing that all to Floyd would be a mistake, but at $120-$180 a year per home, you're basically looking at $2b-$3b in subscription revenue over the three years.

2. The Mayweather Sweepstakes - in building to deliver those 6 fights, we got to see the emergence of Danny Garcia, Kell Brook, Marcos Maidana and Keith Thurman in relatively short order as they staked their claims, creating other Showtime events/stars that folks would tune in for.

3. The deal with Floyd also brought Al Haymon, who brought the fighters that he works for with him. Deontay Wilder, Adrien Broner, Errol Spence Jr, Leo Santa Cruz, Abner Mares, Peter Quillin/Daniel Jacobs, Adonis Stevenson, Charlo brothers, etc. The talent available to Espinoza to put on the cards that he wants basically became an embarrassment of riches.

4. 7.5% on the PPV (plus the HD feed) is what Showtime ended up getting too. Folks will cry about the numbers but the Guerrero PPV and the two Maidana PPVs ended up somewhere over 2.8m homes. The Berto fight did something like 400k, but even with that, you're at 3.3m homes ~@$65 (with the HD fee adding $33m), all without counting the two biggest PPVs. Count the Alvarez PPV and Showtime's share of the Pacquiao PPV and you're at 4.5m homes @$80. Add everything up and you're at almost 8m PPVs ~@75. Quick math says that Showtime's take on just the Floyd PPVs comes to something like $125m (less costs).

Showtime CBS needed something like 6m PPV buys over the 6 fights, and Floyd got them 8m.

5. Mayweather-Mcgregor; with the deal actually ending up being profitable, Floyd then returned to the channel and drew 4m PPV buys.

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx.. View Post
      Floyd was an investment for future profits,
      Yeah. They are looking to cash in on the piece they will he getting from future sales of ufc crotch tights from you, dunn, iron dan and ms travesty

Comment

Originally posted by djtmal View Post
        Yeah. They are looking to cash in on the piece they will he getting from future sales of ufc crotch tights from you, dunn, iron dan and ms travesty
        Damnnnnn, son. You in here talking about me, too?

I must have ruined your life. Was it because I exposed you about saying Shane was the fight everyone wanted and Floyd was ducking, but afterward, you said Shane was washed up and Floyd Cherrypicked him?

That left an impression, huh?

Comment

I don't think any of us really know how much money Showtime's made based on Floyd coming to Showtime when you consider Floyd only fought on PPV with Showtime getting a small % of the PPV purchases just like with HBO / HBO PPV (10% I believe). That DID lead to Al Haymon taking all the former Golden Boy fighters (who were already fighting on Showtime for the most part but not exclusively yet) thus creating the "PBC" which was closely tied with Showtime. That being said, the irony is HBO while pumping out **** product these days still has a hefty edge in subscribers over Showtime. The majority of the notable Showtime fights barely crack 750-850K views while HBO with trash cards (ex. Jacobs v Sulecki) do just about the same. Broner vs Vargas peaked at 891K for example. That doesn't mean Showtime is putting on bad fights either, but in general HBO just has the upper hand as far as subscribers which usually means you'll have more casual viewers who'll tend to watch a **** fight just because it's on.

HBO has approximately 135 Mill subs. Showtime at one point was being edged out by Starz at 23 Mill. Showtime today is around the 25-26 Mill range while also relying on their Stand Alone sub which is around 5 Mill from 2017. That's a HUGE gap in subs which is why we see the ratings we see.
          Last edited by RL_GMA; 06-05-2018, 03:01 PM.

Comment

Not my fault your wife left you, she say's hi by the way while sucking my 8 inch...Longer the better
            Too bad i've never been married and you are a ******.

Comment

Stephen Espinoza hasn't been fired yet so the deal couldn't have too bad for Showtime..

Comment

Originally posted by firstborn View Post
                Stephen Espinoza hasn't been fired yet so the deal couldn't have too bad for Showtime..
                He's definitely helped Showtime's Boxing programming for sure, no denying that at all. The irony though is between HBO and ESPN (the other Boxing networks) Showtime while putting on the better fights of the 3 still comes in 3rd when considering overall ratings per fight. The positive side though is Showtime's pumping out more fights and the quality of the fights in a whole are better than the other 2. The thing with Premium Networks though is everything is always based on ratings over "quality".

Comment

Originally posted by Fists_of_Fury View Post
                  Too bad i've never been married and you are a ******.
                  The Question you should be asking yourself is who the fook would want to get married to you ? Look in the Mirror, get off this forum and go get a job, instead of coming on here, you miserable sad tw*t

Comment

The Question you should be asking yourself is who the fook would want to get married to you ? Look in the Mirror, get off this forum and go get a job, instead of coming on here, you miserable sad tw*t
                    I have a job ******. Queer trolls like your pathetic self are probably at McDonald's or Starbucks using free wifi to troll since your welfare ass can't get a job. You are the definition of a miserable **** troll. Pathetic queer asking about how another man made a company $ when anyone with a brain can see how.

Comment

Showtime invested 250M into Mayweather back in 2013. How did they make this money which made it a good buisness descison. I thought tv companies only take a little from a Fight Generated ? So from the Outside it looks like Showtime lost a lot of money
                      From what I understand, the 200m's was banked and divied up from fight to fight. He didnt just get the money up front.

He had the ghost fight, which wasnt amazing numbers. But the Canelo and Pac fight, put bread in everyone's pockets.

He had the two Chino fights which made no money. But then the Pac fight. The Berto fight made peanuts. But he came back and did the Conor fight with them.

Comment

Working...
                      X