Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vergil Ortiz fight is off due to Lasik Eye Surgery

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of my favorite Prospects I looked forward to seeing him as well as Ryan Garcia's progression as young prospects. Turning out to be a weird card for GBP

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofDempsey View Post
      Is this guy serious? That is elective surgery that he could have put off until after the fight. From my understanding, once you have lasik surgery you are supposed avoid contact sports like boxing, football, etc. He would be more vulnerable to blindness from trauma.
      Huh? He got this operation a few months ago before this fight was even announced. If Ortiz Jr was to fight in Vegas, Texas or California, he would have been able to fight. Only NYSAC is this strict when it comes to lasik operations. They are strict in everything and are the really the only commission that calls for the doctor to check on fighters before the start of the round anytime they think the fighter may be in any danger. It really screws the opponent as it gives the fighter more time to recover.

Comment

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post
        Huh? He got this operation a few months ago before this fight was even announced. If Ortiz Jr was to fight in Vegas, Texas or California, he would have been able to fight. Only NYSAC is this strict when it comes to lasik operations. They are strict in everything and are the really the only commission that calls for the doctor to check on fighters before the start of the round anytime they think the fighter may be in any danger. It really screws the opponent as it gives the fighter more time to recover.
        His opponent got eye surgery 2 days ago not Ortiz.

Comment

Originally posted by MasterPlan View Post
          His opponent got eye surgery 2 days ago not Ortiz.
          That's not why the fight got called off. His opponent had surgery that was mandatory for a medical condition. Ortiz Jr's situation is more similar to what happened with Charlo.

Comment

That's not why the fight got called off. His opponent had surgery that was mandatory for a medical condition. Ortiz Jr's situation is more similar to what happened with Charlo.
            Wait, apparently they both had surgery. Ortiz says his was 2 months ago and his opponent (who is his opponent lol?) had a procedure 2 days ago.

So who stopped the fight?

Comment

They lift a flap in your eye when they do the surgery. The flap doesn't reattach back 100% and can always come undone. That's what I read about it. I can't see a scenario in which a professional boxer wouldn't be advised by his optician about the risks. Can't blame NY for this one.

Comment

Wait, apparently they both had surgery. Ortiz says his was 2 months ago and his opponent (who is his opponent lol?) had a procedure 2 days ago.

So who stopped the fight?
                The commission stopped the fight. They were fine with the operation his opponent had since it was for a medical condition. They were not fine with Ortiz Jr as he voluntarily got the operation and I guess you have to wait a certain amount of time before they allow you to fight there. Remember, damn near the same situation with Charlo against JRock.

Comment

Well theres pretty much no reason to watch tomorrow

Comment

The commission stopped the fight. They were fine with the operation his opponent had since it was for a medical condition. They were not fine with Ortiz Jr as he voluntarily got the operation and I guess you have to wait a certain amount of time before they allow you to fight there. Remember, damn near the same situation with Charlo against JRock.
                    Okay gotcha. Still how are you fine with a 2 day old surgery?

Comment

Okay gotcha. Still how are you fine with a 2 day old surgery?
                      That I have no answer for lol.

Medical condition or not, how can one be able to proceed after two days of any operation, let alone an operation to his eye?

Comment

Working...
                      X