No announcement yet.

Advice for a newbie boxer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for a newbie boxer

So I've been boxing for a few weeks now. I'm told I have very good ring movement and footwork, and don't typically struggle offensively; I can land punches pretty well. I'm about 6-2 with very long arms, so I land plenty of jabs when sparring. But whenever I try to follow my jab up with any other punch (usually a right cross), I always get countered hard, because I've now put myself within my opponent's range. The best way I can put it is: I can't seem to land a punch (other than the jab) without taking a couple in the process. I can't box offensively AND defend myself at the same time. How do I work on this? Because of my reach advantage, should I just throw lots of jabs and wait for countering oppurtunities to throw more powerful punches like the cross? What are some go-to counters to the jab and 1-2? I appreciate any advice you have.
    Last edited by 23calzaghe23; 02-01-2018, 01:38 PM.

You should watch the masters son. Tyson, Ali, Spinks, Carita. Watch and learn.

Comment

Advice for a newb? Don't drop the soap in the shower when Orlando Cruz is in there.

I'd post this in the Training forum (link below) if I was you. You'll get more serious answers from cats who are currently training & competing themselves.
      https://www.boxingscene.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6

Comment

My advice would be...don't seek advice on nsb.

Comment

I agree with Carita...watch great fighters. Find a guy about your size and build and watch his fight but just watch his feet, then watch it again and just watch his hands, try to emulate both in a ring or on a mat until everything starts flowing a little better, then find a way to make it your own.

More specifically, you are probably thinking about the punch you want to throw after the jab, tightening up, then throwing it after. So you're stopping your shoulder from rolling with the jab and probably freezing your core when you throw the punch so it's pulling against your bodyweight. Don't beat yourself up. Everyone who has ever boxed does it when they just start out. I think it takes balls to be honest about what you're struggling with and asking for advice. Just takes time and repetition. Pick your target, throw your jab, and when your jab is heading toward the target, make sure you keep your shoulder loose, use the momentum of pulling your jab back to throw your next punch at the target. It will help to work on throwing shorter punches until your muscle memory develops to keep your balance center.

Comment

Originally posted by sweeterscience View Post
            More specifically, you are probably thinking about the punch you want to throw after the jab, tightening up ...
            This is what I was thinking as well. For a while, commit to the second punch and make it all one action. Jabbing, and then seeing if that worked to throw the cross, wouldn't work regularly. Just commit and let it fly.

Comment

Originally posted by WonderMonkey View Post
              This is what I was thinking as well. For a while, commit to the second punch and make it all one action. Jabbing, and then seeing if that worked to throw the cross, wouldn't work regularly. Just commit and let it fly.
              You don't have to just let it fly. I mean, you should let it fly for now just until you really get the basic movements down and locked in like it's second nature.

But just keep your non jab shoulder loose when you let the jab fly as long as that back should is loose and moving, whenever you pull that jab back, you can push the power punch forward. You'll find that sometimes when you throw a jab, the other guy will be punching at the same time so you either have to keep pushing the jab to knock him off balance or block his punch, or you have to yank it back quick.

But if you land a jab cleanly, you don't have to throw a cross or hook or uppercut right behind it. You can flick a stay busy jab or crank a stiff one out like putting bait in the water and then lean back out of range when they chase you with a punch and throw your hard shot with a second delay behind it. But if you always keep your head and body moving in rhythm, you're only one shift away from a punch, a pivot or step.

Comment

"boxing for a few weeks"...........................

Your sparring after a few weeks? Ask your trainer why you can't land anything but a jab.
                I trained fighters for 50 years I had ONE person spar after a few weeks, only ONE of thousands.
                Either your an exceptional talent or your trainer is a baby sitter not a teacher.

Good luck, if your here instead of setting a meeting up with your trainer your in trouble.

Ray

Comment

Originally posted by WonderMonkey View Post
                  This may be stuff you already learned, but remember that your punches all come from the rotations of the balls of your feet, your knees your hope and your shoulders in that order, fraction of a fraction of a second behind each other. The most powerful muscles in your body and the source of most punching power are from your legs and butt, once you start driving the punch from your lower half, with those four axis of rotation, your arms drive right as part of the same motion. You're just letting energy and mass use the path of motion through your body with the least resistance. Think of it like you are directing a lightning bolt through your body and shaping the punch with the force you are generating. Just like when you throw a punch, you use that energy of throwing the punch to pull your arm back to your body. Tommy Hearns, Mike Tyson, Julian Jackson...all the big punchers, it just shot out of the cannon and they guided it like a missle. You watch guys like Josh Clottey and Ricky Hatton, strong, muscular guys, but they punched choppy and with disjointed motions, so they never got that power or the fluid movement.

Comment

Originally posted by sweeterscience View Post
                    You don't have to just let it fly. I mean, you should let it fly for now just until you really get the basic movements down and locked in like it's second nature.
                    Right. I was more suggesting that to stop the delay in jabbing, looking for response, then throwing the cross. For now, just commit and let it go.

Comment

Working...
                    X