No announcement yet.

More and more boxers post pictures training with weights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More and more boxers post pictures training with weights

Many here told me about "weights being bad" for boxers. "Big muscles require more oxigen", "More muscle doesn't equal more power", "Lifting weights make you heavier and stiff", "boxing is all about running, push ups, pull ups and situps", "only heavyweights do weight lifting, they need the extra muscle".

That's just plain bs. Not everyone needs the weights, but not everyone is so genetically gifted to the point that it's not needed to do weight training

Kell Brook, Danny Garcia, Amir Khan, Sergio Martinez, and many many others, do/did weight lifting.

Comment

doing some weightlifting can certainly benefit a fighter, but a lot of fighters overdo it. especially novice fighters and guys still in the amateur ranks (but you see it with pros too).

so it isnt a case of weights being bad, period. but as a boxer weightlifintg should be a very small part of your training regimen. it really should just be complementary, yet lots of guys, again generally amateurs, treat weight lifting as one of the most or even the single most important aspect of training. which is sheer insanity.

Edit: bigger muscles needing more oxcygen and more muscles not meaning more punching power isnt bs, it is 100% true. bigger muscles do need more oxcygen, i didnt think anyone could possible doubt that very well known fact. punching power comes from technique and the size of your frame, not the size of your muscles. too much lifting also makes you stiff and heavy, this too is rather obvious. but what is too much depends on the individual.

its rather ironic you choose a picture of tyson fury to make your case when he has been very vocal in calling joshua a weightlifter and bodybuilder in a deragatory sense. saying he lifts too much and it makes him slow and stiff, claiming that he would be easy work as a result.
      Last edited by #1Assassin; 05-23-2017, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Most fighters only weight train during camps for a fight. Guys like Berto, Joshua and the like go to the gym several times a week just to lift weights.

Comment

A lot of fighters do weight lifting. Not the super heavy weight **** but light weights as you can see in those pictures...

This is nothing new.

Comment

Weightlifting is simply a tool. Misused, it could be a detriment. Like if you're lifting like a bodybuilder.

The perception is that weightlifting makes you big or that getting stronger means that your muscles will increase in size. Intelligent strength and conditioning programs can incorporate the use of weight training in such a way as to increase strength & power (strength-speed or speed-strength) without the negative effects of training like a bodybuilder (e.g. back & bicep day, chest day etc.) which I am NO fan of.

Full disclosure... I am a strength and conditioning coach and work with athletes in several sports.

Comment

Also, Tyson Fury's Deadlift form looks like ***** and I think the two guys in the picture behind him agree!

His strength coach should be embarrassed by that photo!

Comment

Lol, you've got a pic of Danny G pushing up an EMPTY bar and you're preaching about weight lifting?? Light weights are a form of conditioning, same as bodyweight exercises. What people warn about is bodybuilding type lifting. Your muscles are not going to be efficient in boxing if they are undergoing the heavy recovery that bodybuilding and powerlifting involve.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                  Lol, you've got a pic of Danny G pushing up an EMPTY bar and you're preaching about weight lifting?? Light weights are a form of conditioning, same as bodyweight exercises. What people warn about is bodybuilding type lifting. Your muscles are not going to be efficient in boxing if they are undergoing the heavy recovery that bodybuilding and powerlifting involve.
                  When did I say heavy weight lifting, you little know it all? read twice.

Comment

I just read the op and I am totally ashamed that I actually posted in this thread.

Comment

Working...
                    X