No announcement yet.

Gennady Golovkin Legacy

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gennady Golovkin Legacy

I personally think Golovkin's legacy is secure but I don't believe its anything too special. A win over Canelo will help it but in all honesty I don't see it as a career maker. He's had 20+ title defenses with MAYBE 6-8 credible opponents. You can't fight the best every time and mandatories do stall things but if I has to grade GGG's legacy from a 0-10 I'd give it a 7-7.5 right now. I'll bump it to an 8 with a decision Canelo win or maybe a bit over 8 if he stops Canelo. Idk what do you guys think about his legacy?

I’ll give him about a 2 or 3 and bump it to a 4 if he wins but since Canelo is gonna win it will stay at two!!!

Comment

Why comment just to say outlandish stuff?

Originally posted by JohnCastellanos View Post
      I’ll give him about a 2 or 3 and bump it to a 4 if he wins but since Canelo is gonna win it will stay at two!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Oldub View Post
        I personally think Golovkin's legacy is secure but I don't believe its anything too special. A win over Canelo will help it but in all honesty I don't see it as a career maker. He's had 20+ title defenses with MAYBE 6-8 credible opponents. You can't fight the best every time and mandatories do stall things but if I has to grade GGG's legacy from a 0-10 I'd give it a 7-7.5 right now. I'll bump it to an 8 with a decision Canelo win or maybe a bit over 8 if he stops Canelo. Idk what do you guys think about his legacy?
        I agree with the bold. It could've been much better with better competition. The two times GGG stepped up to B average fighters in Jacobs and Canelo, some thought he came short.

Even if he beats Canelo, it wouldn't enhance much. This fight is tainted.

Comment

As secure and legit Hopkins and Mayweather’s legacy at the very least.

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad_ View Post
            As secure and legit Hopkins and Mayweather’s legacy at the very least.
            This. All of mayweather's best hall of fame wins were against guys way past their prime. At least ggg would get a win over a prime canelo.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingIsGreat View Post
              I agree with the bold. It could've been much better with better competition. The two times GGG stepped up to B average fighters in Jacobs and Canelo, some thought he came short.

Even if he beats Canelo, it wouldn't enhance much. This fight is tainted.
              Lets be real. The majority of people who thought he came up short, wanted him to lose in the first place.

Comment

What hurts him most is the close decision wins (draw-cough) against his two toughest tests. He has no marque fight where he truly dominated, so there will always be questions left unanswered.

He'll go down as one of the most avoided fighters during his prime that's for sure. Even with that he still has a chance to be considered in the AT Top20 MW's if he's not already there.

He's finally gotten to the point where he can build upon his legacy & has made significant jumps in the last few years.

It all depends on how much longer before he retires & who he fights even after Canelo. He needs to take on some more young guns because they will help build his rep if they end up having long careers.

Of course it would also help if he went out with a bang. Finally making the jump to SMW & took on a champ there as his final swan song.

Legacy is tough to discern while a fighter is still active. It's something that we all look back on 10 years later, many times it ripens with age.

Comment

His legacy we will see after the next two fights. It's too bad they are so late in his career. He'd be a handfull for any past Middleweight champion. May beat some of them, none of them, most or all depending on your viewpoint or bias but he's no pushover.
                  Last edited by TonyGe; 06-17-2018, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by satiev1 View Post
                    This. All of mayweather's best hall of fame wins were against guys way past their prime. At least ggg would get a win over a prime canelo.
                    He beat prime Jacobs and Lemieux as well. Many other of his opponents were considered legit dangerous threats until GGG beat em soundly, and suddenly they became bums the next morning.

Comment

Working...
                    X