Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joshua vs Povetkin did 1.1 million PPV Buys.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
    True. True.
    I don't get all that shyt. I try to say something fair about AJ and inevitably they always come back with "Wilder doe"... as if I give a fuk about Wilder or that I'm part of some fanboy war.

I've no problem if AJ wants to do his thing in the UK, I've actually defended him for that. But, I'm not going to pretend that the money isn't flowing through Vegas and US PPV.
    It's what Boxingscene has become. War between fan boy factions that overtake every single thread.

I miss the days on here when people genuinely spoke about boxing without trying to cause trouble or troll.

Comment

I said nothing about Floyd. Manny hovered around a million buys (in the $60 range) without Floyd. GG just had two PPVs over a million.
      Connor came over from the UK and fought all sorts of people for huge buyrates.

IDK what you think you're protecting AJ from but let it go. There's no harm in him being able to make big money in the US. The only people threatened by that idea are those who have resentment toward the states and can't handle the idea that there might be more money flowing there.
      I don’t see any issue with AJ turning down bigger money to fight in the UK. An event like this has never happened over here, two undefeated champions for the undisputed HW championship? It would do wonders for his marketability to bring a fight like that to the U.K. rather than taking it to America like so many big fights involving brits in the past.

Make no mistake, eventually he will outgrow the U.K. market. He will have to go to the US, or maybe other more obscure locations ala Don King era HWs. But bringing this fight over here would be huge.

And the thing is, it is his choice. Joshua is the draw and the one who the US investors in Vegas are interested in. If not then why did Wilder Fury end up in LA?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi Vader View Post
        It's what Boxingscene has become. War between fan boy factions that overtake every single thread.

I miss the days on here when people genuinely spoke about boxing without trying to cause trouble or troll.
        Boxingscene has been ****e since May Pac era at least. There were some better posters around back in the day in between the crap maybe, but majority was bs slanging matches and fanboying

Comment

Do these numbers are supposed to mean something to the rest of us man; Whoopty fucking do? We already knew that he was the biggest cash cow in Britain. So I don't understand their relevancy or importance.

Comment

Joshua is definitely killing the UK market right now.... now we just need an American star to fight him in the U.S and the U.S + U/K PPV + intl rights would be huge!

The sad thing is that Joshua/Whyte will blow this out the water with PPV buys.... despite it not being as competitive.

Comment

I said nothing about Floyd. Manny hovered around a million buys (in the $60 range) without Floyd. GG just had two PPVs over a million.
              Connor came over from the UK and fought all sorts of people for huge buyrates.

IDK what you think you're protecting AJ from but let it go. There's no harm in him being able to make big money in the US. The only people threatened by that idea are those who have resentment toward the states and can't handle the idea that there might be more money flowing there.
              I mentioned Floyd because the 2 guys you mentioned - Conor and Manny - both had their biggest paydays against him.

But how long did it take Manny to become an "international star" in his own right?

A lot longer than 5 years and 22 fights! And he only achieved it because there were other big names around his size for him to build his own name up by defeating at the time.

Conor got huge US buyrates against all sorts of people fighting in the UFC, not boxing, and the only boxing match he ever had was against Floyd. There are no lessons AJ can take from Conor whatsoever.

Yes, GGG got over 2 million PPV buys against Canelo. Refer you back to my point about Mexicans and Mexican holiday dates!

I guess Loeffler has come closer than anybody, in recent years, to building a boxer into an international star with GGG.

But Golovkin has been around a lot longer than AJ, and he had to go to the US to win 3 title belts in his division. Hearn got AJ his title fights at home in the UK. And AJ is making at least 10 times as much money fighting at home than GGG has ever made in the States against anybody not named Canelo Alvarez.

You are being very disingenous here and I think you know it. I don't know why you feel the need to downplay what Hearn has done with AJ, but you should let that one go.
              Last edited by kafkod; 10-03-2018, 07:08 AM.

Comment

Joshua and Hearn are doing great numbers. Whatever the final number is, the Povetkin fight would of sold well like AJ's previous fights.

Not so long back there was posts/threads trying to throw shade at him because he was going to sell 80'000 tickets instead of 90'000. You're doing something right when that's aimed as a criticism.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrismart View Post
                  Joshua and Hearn are doing great numbers. Whatever the final number is, the Povetkin fight would of sold well like AJ's previous fights.

Not so long back there was posts/threads trying to throw shade at him because he was going to sell 80'000 tickets instead of 90'000. You're doing something right when that's aimed as a criticism.
                  Especially as he was fighting an opponent with zero UK profile, and with no draws on the undercard. Whatever numbers he pulls here are based purely on his own drawing power. Pretty incredible tbf

Comment

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
                    I mentioned Floyd because the 2 guys you mentioned - Conor and Manny - both had their biggest paydays against him.

But how long did it take Manny to become an "international star" in his own right?

A lot longer than 5 years and 22 fights! And he only achieved it because there were other big names around his size for him to build his own name up by defeating at the time.

Conor got huge US buyrates against all sorts of people fighting in the UFC, not boxing, and the only boxing match he ever had was against Floyd. There are no lessons AJ can take from Conor whatsoever.

Yes, GGG got over 2 million PPV buys against Canelo. Refer you back to my point about Mexicans and Mexican holiday dates!

I guess Loeffler has come closer than anybody, in recent years, to building a boxer into an international star with GGG.

But Golovkin has been around a lot longer than AJ, and he had to go to the US to win 3 title belts in his division. Hearn got AJ his title fights at home in the UK. And AJ is making at least 10 times as much money fighting at home than GGG has ever made in the States against anybody not named Canelo Alvarez.

You are being very disingenous here and I think you know it. I don't know why you feel the need to downplay what Hearn has done with AJ, but you should let that one go.
                    You're doing some weird Hearn apologist stuff and not actually making points against any of the facts I stated. I've often said I'm glad that there's good business going on in the UK and that I don't blame AJ for wanting to stay where he's at. A lot of really great fighters stay home. Ward stayed in Oakland for years.

You seem to be really bothered by any acknowledgement that the US offers more opportunity. If you just want to be one of these sad nationalistic losers like Laced and Soul, then I'll just ignore. I think you're smarter than them though. I'm not attacking AJ or Hearn at all when I state that there's more money in the US. Nor am I even saying AJ NEED to come here. Only that there's a lot of opportunity.

The fact that they can only get 20 pounds or so in the UK for a PPV featuring their national hero but Golovkin and Canelo (neither of which are American) just got over a million people to shell out $80ea for a fight they already saw really says everything about the ability to make $ in the states.

You shouldn't be bothered by that.

Comment

You're doing some weird Hearn apologist stuff and not actually making points against any of the facts I stated. I've often said I'm glad that there's good business going on in the UK and that I don't blame AJ for wanting to stay where he's at. A lot of really great fighters stay home. Ward stayed in Oakland for years.

You seem to be really bothered by any acknowledgement that the US offers more opportunity. If you just want to be one of these sad nationalistic losers like Laced and Soul, then I'll just ignore. I think you're smarter than them though. I'm not attacking AJ or Hearn at all when I state that there's more money in the US. Nor am I even saying AJ NEED to come here. Only that there's a lot of opportunity.

The fact that they can only get 20 pounds or so in the UK for a PPV featuring their national hero but Golovkin and Canelo (neither of which are American) just got over a million people to shell out $80ea for a fight they already saw really says everything about the ability to make $ in the states.

You shouldn't be bothered by that.

I'm not doing any weird apologist stuff!

I was replying to comments by you comparing AJ's UK PPV sales with GGG vs Canelo numbers, comparing AJ to Manny and Conor, and saying Hearn didn't seem to know how to make AJ into an international star.

I thought those comparisons and that comment about Hearn were unfair and I told you why.

I have no doubt that the potential market for AJ is far greater in the US than in the UK, and I have no problems with that.

But achieving that potential is not going to be easy, and it's up to Hearn and AJ to decide how and when they set about trying to do it.

Comment

Working...
                      X