Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Hearn: No Journalist, Media Outlet Can Tell a Fighter Where To Earn

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spare me with the faux outrage

Comment

Originally posted by El_Mero View Post
      Only people complaining are lil fu.ckbois and haters.

What exactly have you done for any of those countries, more specifically SA? If you've done nothing but tweet and comment on forums, google shut the fu.ck up
      Glad you've got that off your chest. Now, why don't try and actually make a case for why you think this is OK?

If someone does something wrong, expect to be told: you're doing wrong.

Thanks for the laugh though in suggesting for someone to point out that Apartheid was bad, you have to have done something to help South Africa (beyond, of course, the core point of the whole contention, which is that you *are* helping by speaking out and by not supporting the regime). And by the way, the boycott worked. Mandela got let out. The apartheid regime ended. Because people spoke out and those that took the dirty money got blacklisted.

One thing's for certain: trying to suppress criticism of events like this aids the torturers and hinders the tortured. Well done. I hope that thought can keep you warm at night.

And please don't call me 'google' when you tell me to shut the ***** up.

Comment

Originally posted by P4Pdunny View Post
        spare me with the faux outrage
        Spare me the entitled ennui. Nice piece of mind-reading, by the way, to *know* the outrage is 'faux'.

Who would get outraged at a human being in this day and age being crucified? Or a journalist being tortured and dismembered for words he typed? Or someone being stoned for deciding they don't believe in a spirit in the sky?That kind of outrage could only be fake.

Comment

Originally posted by Monty Fisto View Post
          Spare me the entitled ennui. Nice piece of mind-reading, by the way, to *know* the outrage is 'faux'.

Who would get outraged at a human being in this day and age being crucified? Or a journalist being tortured and dismembered for words he typed? Or someone being stoned for deciding they don't believe in a spirit in the sky?That kind of outrage could only be fake.
          What has any of this got to do with Eddie Hearn or this event?

Its another stick for those who dislike him to beat him with.

Comment

You're wrong. I really don't mind Eddie. But it's disingenuous to try and say this event is completely disconnected in every way to the regime. You can believe that the Saudi Royal family is spunking all this money because they really are now so interested in promoting sporting activities or you can see through that tissue-thin facade and understand that it's a propaganda job to try and make the unacceptable acceptable.

I know this is an extreme example, but it does illustrate the point: it would be like putting on a fight in Nazi germany and saying: hey, I've got nothing against those Jews, but you know, the Nazis just paid too well. What does my fight have to do with any of the bad stuff?

It's disingenuous to say he can just take the money and it doesn't mean anything.

Comment

Absolutely believe that we should be boycotting the Saudis but I hope that those from both the UK and US who are suddenly showing outrage now are aware of the $ / £ billions in arms deals signed by both the US and UK governments with the Saudis, despite documented knowledge of severe human rights abuses dating back decades .

Not saying this makes the outrage displayed at this event wrong, but I'm just saying it's kinda small potoatoes... and, ummm... I didn't really notice much of anyone giving a shit when the WBSS SMW finals were held there last year which kinda makes me suspect that much of the calumny being directed at Hearn here is of an opportunistic rather than principled nature

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_U...abia_arms_deal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Yamamah_arms_deal
              Last edited by Citizen Koba; 12-06-2019, 11:26 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Koba-Grozny;20233312]Absolutely believe that we should be boycotting the Saudis but I hope that those from both the UK and US who are suddenly showing outrage now are aware of the $ / £ billions in arms deals signed by both the US and UK governments with the Saudis and the $ billions in aid this oil rich favoured ally gets each year of your taxes.

Not saying this makes the outrage displayed at this event wrong, but I'm just saying it's kinda small potoatoes... and, ummm... I didn't really notice much of anyone giving a shit when the WBSS SMW finals were held there last year which kinda makes me suspect that much of the calumny being directed at Hearn here is of an opportunistic rather than principled nature[/QUOTE]

Yeah, everybody over the age of 12 is a hypocrite.

While taking random shots at Hearn is probably true, it is a much bigger event worldwide than the WBSS SMW finals so I can see why people would voice their displeasure where they have a bigger forum to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by jreckoning View Post

Yeah, everybody over the age of 12 is a hypocrite.

While taking random shots at Hearn is probably true, it is a much bigger event worldwide than the WBSS SMW finals so I can see why people would voice their displeasure where they have a bigger forum to do it.
                  I can't really disagree any of that, and I sure as hell ain't got any right to be lecturing folk on hypocrisy, but I do hope that some of the passion which seems to have folk fired up know remains when this event is part of history, cos US and UK material support for the Saudi regime is showing little sign of wavering despite recent political rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
                    Absolutely believe that we should be boycotting the Saudis but I hope that those from both the UK and US who are suddenly showing outrage now are aware of the $ / £ billions in arms deals signed by both the US and UK governments with the Saudis, despite documented knowledge of severe human rights abuses dating back decades .

Not saying this makes the outrage displayed at this event wrong, but I'm just saying it's kinda small potoatoes... and, ummm... I didn't really notice much of anyone giving a shit when the WBSS SMW finals were held there last year which kinda makes me suspect that much of the calumny being directed at Hearn here is of an opportunistic rather than principled nature

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_U...abia_arms_deal

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Yamamah_arms_deal
                    You raise a valid point and I think you're on the money so far as the WBSS goes. In terms of arms deal, I also think you are absolutely right that such deals should be subject to close scrutiny.

At the same time, I think there is a fundamental difference between the issue of sports/entertainment ventures in a questionable regime and shoring up the Middle East against strategic threats via arms deal to questionable regimes. If this boxing event took place elsewhere -- somewhere more acceptable -- those involved would earn less, but that's really the extent of it.

With the arms deals, there is an argument to be made that it is the lesser of two evils. That argument would be that if you don't arm the nasty regime, you risk surrendering all strategic advantage to potential threats to the world order and don't protect the interests of every Western citizen. I'm not sure that argument holds water -- hence why I think such deal should be subject to the highest scrutiny.

Regardless, arguing that such deals are wrong gives zero defence to any other wrong. The arms deals to Saudi Arabia may very well be an unjustifiable wrong. Whether they are or not, does not render Eddie's venture morally justifiable.

Comment

In fact Hearn is exactly like Don King back then. Exactly the same.

Comment

Working...
                      X